Pattaya to stink a little while longer

webfact

Pattaya to stink a little while longer

By The Nation

c91155660c0e97c95741fd9291abce12.jpeg

Pattaya residents and tourists will have to hold their noses for another six months amid delays in contracting a new trash collector.

Suthee Thabnonghee, the city’s Environment Office director, said on Wednesday the municipality had for now extended the contract of the existing garbage-collection firm for six more months, but its ageing trucks leak rancid fluids when compacting the waste and there could also be delays in collecting garbage in some areas.

“People will have to put up with this for a while, but the city will dispatch workers to clean up problem areas on request,” he said in response to complaints over the past month or two.

Suthee said the trash-collection contract, covering 70 per cent of the city and handling 250 tonnes of waste per day, had expired on October 31 after seven years.

The city has been trying to find a new contractor since 2016 but has been stymied over terms of reference and disqualified bidders.

There are now two separate concessions up for bids – one extending almost five years for trash collection and operating the Garbage Transfer Station and the other for almost three months covering garbage disposal.

The terms of reference have been redrafted and will soon be submitted to Chon Buri provincial authorities, Suthee said, opening the way for more bidding and the hiring of a new contractor in six months or less.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339446

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-22

" But its ageing vehicles leak rancid fluid when compacting waste " .. The problem being that all manner of nastiness is squeezed out of the trash as its being compressed to make room for more rubbish .. The stuff ooze's through the body floor into the structure ( usually box section ) where it festers and builds up to the point where it starts leaking out as the truck moves around and compress's more rubbish .. As a rule compactor garbage trucks have a life of about 10 yrs as the constant repair and replacement of the compactor floor renders them uneconomic to operate after about that time scale .. And the stink that comes off them when they are being repaired by welding new floors ( or sections of ) and box sections in has to be experienced to be believed .. Vomit inducing don't do it justice .. 

14 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

" But its ageing vehicles leak rancid fluid when compacting waste " .. The problem being that all manner of nastiness is squeezed out of the trash as its being compressed to make room for more rubbish .. The stuff ooze's through the body floor into the structure ( usually box section ) where it festers and builds up to the point where it starts leaking out as the truck moves around and compress's more rubbish .. As a rule compactor garbage trucks have a life of about 10 yrs as the constant repair and replacement of the compactor floor renders them uneconomic to operate after about that time scale .. And the stink that comes off them when they are being repaired by welding new floors ( or sections of ) and box sections in has to be experienced to be believed .. Vomit inducing don't do it justice .. 

A garbage truck used to stop just in front of my carport collecting garbage at the condo next door. They used to stay there quite a while every morning sorting garbage and my driveway was just downhill from where the truck stopped. They used to leave black slicks of this thick slimy effluent in front of my carport every day. I never went to City Hall to complain though. I thought that would be a waste of time, and by the sounds of it, I was right.

25 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't think that will make too much difference.

The smell from the drains/ open sewage lines will still be there.

If you've been here for awhile you don't notice it much.:smile:

How about spending the money on state of the art garbage trucks instead of a submarine ? !!

Take a stroll past the roadside market on South Pattaya road and see the local traders stamping the fish heads and entrails through the road drains with a well aimed flipflop ....... not to mention the broken wicker baskets brimming with rubbish that one has to step into the road to avoid.

23 hours ago, smotherb said:

There you go entrepreneurs; a five year trash collection and transfer operation contract just waiting to be had. Think of the power influence benefits and job perks to be had.

We know but the problem is you have to pick up and move all the rubbish as well.

Archived