dimmer switch & CFL (compact florescent) bulbs for home studio ???

rexall

Hiya FormMates,
These kinds of issues are usually outside of my experience and skill set, putting it mildly! This is regarding (cheap) lighting for home video studio.
I am chasing my tail googling around trying to find information that is consistent and not so old that it no longer applies. Not as easy as you might think! Anyone out there wise to the ways of electric stuffs?

1. Can you use CFLs with a dimmer switch  (yes, apparently)
2. Internet says there are such things as dimmable CFLs as well as  dimmer switches made specifically to use with CFLs. Is that still true?  Do you have to use both or just one?  If you only need one, which one is better?
3. What are the chances of obtaining them at HomePro or one of the other big box stores?  Or anywhere else for that matter?

In the off-chance that anyone is interested, here is "The Rest of the Story!" What I want to do is use hanging sockets like the one in the photo with japanese paper or silk lanterns for a home photography/video studio. A lot of Youtube video makers seem to be opting for this as a good and inexpensive solution to home studio lighting. I want to use fairly high intensity CFLs. I assume there is no problem using them with the socket in the photo (?) I want a dimmer switch that I can either add to the  middle of the cord or that the cord will simply plug into.

I am counting one someone to know what the hell I am talking about!  roll-laugh.gif  Thanks, lah!  smiley32.gif

hanging  socket2.jpg

Compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL) should be taken as non-dimmable unless stated on the bulbs packaging. But even then, dimmable CFLs must be paired with a dimmer that specifically states compatibility with CFLs.(leading or trailing edge).

Incandescent dimmers make the sine wave smaller, CFL and led dimmers clip the sine wave (leaving the amplitude) and takes half away, either the leading or trailing edge.

Nowadays you will have more options for dimmers and dimmable LED globes.

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

This might get more response in the Electrical Forum.

Tks MartinL.  This is about lighting for a home photography/video studio. I imagine most photographers have struggled with a learning curve about the best type of lighting to use, especially if they are working with a limited budget.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL) should be taken as non-dimmable unless stated on the bulbs packaging. But even then, dimmable CFLs must be paired with a dimmer that specifically states compatibility with CFLs.(leading or trailing edge).

Incandescent dimmers make the sine wave smaller, CFL and led dimmers clip the sine wave (leaving the amplitude) and takes half away, either the leading or trailing edge.

Nowadays you will have more options for dimmers and dimmable LED globes.

I apologize if this is a double-post.  I can't see the first one I submitted.

Tks, Peter!  That is helpful. The only questions remaining are whether dimmable bulbs and dimmers (CFL or LED) are available at HomePro or wherever . . . and if  the intensity and quality of LED is comparable to CFL, and if my lantern solution is a viable option for studio lighting

3 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

You might look into LED bulbs instead... Lazada sells all sorts... many that are WiFi enabled to dim and adjust color via an app on your phone...

OMG!   Light bulbs smarter than an old IBM mainframe!  What's this world coming to?  I'll check it out, Kevin. Mother Lazada is serving up ads for light bulbs on my screen as I type this!   

14 minutes ago, rexall said:

I apologize if this is a double-post.  I can't see the first one I submitted.

Tks, Peter!  That is helpful. The only questions remaining are whether dimmable bulbs and dimmers (CFL or LED) are available at HomePro or wherever . . . and if  the intensity and quality of LED is comparable to CFL, and if my lantern solution is a viable option for studio lighting

Homepro etc has lots of the stuff you want and usually compatibility is written in the box, can be dimmed, suitable for led globes etc. As others have said, you can get all sorts of intelligent led globes now, dimm, color change, temp change etc built in.

There is usually a guy in the globe section that knows about the products.

22 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

<snip>

There is usually a guy in the globe section that knows about the products.

roll-laugh.gif  Maybe on your planet! 

And if that mythical guy isn't there, his evil twin is happy to drag you away from what you were looking at to show you some product he is pushing that has nothing to do with what you are looking for!

Archived