Video: Tragic sight as elephant with two broken legs staggers back into the jungle after pick-up collision

webfact

Video: Tragic sight as elephant with two broken legs staggers back into the jungle after pick-up collision

61pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A video from the Khao Ang Rue Nai wildlife sanctuary in Chacherngsao showed the aftermath of a collision between a pick-up and a wild elephant.

The elephant is thought to have two broken legs and has not yet been found.

It was seen dragging its hind quarters behind itself as it made its way back into the jungle.

62pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

The pick-up ended up off the road and badly damaged. The driver Jaras Phromjan, 46, from Sa Kaew was not hurt but his passenger Bancha Sae-siang, 65, suffered a chest injury and was taken to hospital.

Tha Takiap police said that three elephants had rushed out into the road close to the advancing pick-up.

Park staff have yet to locate the elephant after the accident yesterday afternoon.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-23

Elephant injured by pickup collision in wildlife sanctuary

By The Nation 

2889e57e9ac01e7eae918dc71ba0de56.jpeg

An elephant was injured Thursday afternoon after being hit by a pickup truck in a wildlife sanctuary in Chachoengsao province.

A video clip posted to YouTube by Sahai TV showed the pachyderm having difficulty walking following the accident. The elephant was dragging its hind legs to cross a road.

The pickup driver said he could not apply his brakes in time after the elephant suddenly popped out of the forest. The pickup sustained serious damages but the driver was unharmed.

Relevant authorities were alerted to the accident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339512

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-23

7 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

This is truly heartbreaking, for the elephant anyway. I'm guessing there are speed limits in the Khao Ang Rue Nai wildlife sanctuary, and the pickup driver was almost certainly exceeding them. :annoyed:

For the pick up to break BOTH rear legs of the elephant, you KNOW he was speeding. 

12 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

For the pick up to break BOTH rear legs of the elephant, you KNOW he was speeding. 

As YOU know the pick up was speeding, maybe YOU can inform us what the speed limit is along that road.

On its own  I am not sure how two broken elephant legs can convince you of excessive speed, whatever the limit.

22 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

As YOU know the pick up was speeding, maybe YOU can inform us what the speed limit is along that road.

On its own  I am not sure how two broken elephant legs can convince you of excessive speed, whatever the limit.

Have you ever seen, up close, the rear legs of a grown elephant?  I have, and they are massive.  It would take one hell of a force to break BOTH of them at once.  30kph, which is the LIMIT in the parks, wouldn't do it.  But 60kph might, if it hit them just right. 

The poor Elephant " rushed " out of the Forest on what is clearly a straight section of carriageway to be involved in this accident.

This accident probably has nothing to do with the driver of the pickup truck speeding at something like 200 kph or more.

After all, Elephants are so small, and quick moving, who could possibly manage to see or avoid this creature in time ? specially on a straight road.

The driver of the pickup probably only blew his horn expecting the poor animal to 'rush" out of his way such as the Soi dogs do, after all, it was his road which only caused the animal to spook

A Mindless, Cruel,  Moron who I hope suffers in some way during his miserable life for this, and i also hope the elephant can be found quickly and have some humane treatment ( whatever that will entail )

A normal 2 way road is limited to 60 kph. If it's a park, it should be not more than 30 or 40. When i drive my wife to her garden near Khao Kitjakrut, in Chantaburi, i usually never go over 40 to 50, when visibility is okay (but local usually go faster) . So sad for this elephant ! :(

On 23/02/2018 at 10:01 AM, webfact said:

The pickup driver said he could not apply his brakes in time after the elephant suddenly popped out of the forest.

Yesterday, I was driving my car in Palau elephant reserve, suddenly a pickup passed me at at least 120 km/h....the elephants were walking slower. 

Archived