Japanese Begpackers: The virus is spreading as Asians get in on the act

webfact

Japanese Begpackers: The virus is spreading as Asians get in on the act

By Coconuts Bangkok

co.jpg

Photos from police Facebook post.

Yesterday, in a rural part of Isaan, something strange was spotted by by local police.

Adding a new dimension to the ongoing debate about Westerners from developed countries begging in Southeast Asia to find their travels, was a pair of Asian begpackers in elephant pants and tourist tops hanging around by a roadside with signs, including one that said “No Money.”

This is the first known viral reporting of Asian begpackers and they turned out to be from the wealthy nation of Japan.

When caught, the two young men were all smiles, revealing that they were Japanese college students and posing for pictures with police, who offered them cold water and advice about safe travel.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/japanese-begpackers-virus-spreading-asians-get-act/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-02-23

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, webfact said:

a pair of Asian begpackers in elephant pants and tourist tops hanging around by a roadside with signs, including one that said “No Money.”

What? Not even trying to sell their holiday pics? This is unacceptable.

I wonder why they're holding a sign saying "Chachoengsao"?

I know, I'll look at the linked article:

"We found out that they were Japanese university students who wanted to travel to Bangkok, so they made signs in order to hitchhike and save money."

"While we only know that they were explicitly asking for a free ride, we are not sure that they were collecting cash donations."

Which is a bit different from: "hanging around by a roadside with signs" as "Begpackers".

20 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Sheesh!  I thought it was only the low class Europeans and Americans doing it, but now the Asians are getting in on the act.  

:shock1: 

Low class is an endless subject for debate. I see, give thanks for what I have, sometimes share and move on.

35 minutes ago, Dararasmi said:

Having lived in Japan for nearly 20 years, I gotta say they sure don't look Japanese to me.

Having lived in the USA for over 55 years, I can't tell who is who, nor do I care.

17 hours ago, danea83 said:

At least they didn’t freeze half to death like 3 Japanese backpackers in Russia this week. Sleeping in a tent at -39C always a lovely idea.

Can be done.

If you have the right gear.

But don't expect it to be comfy.

Archived