BANGKOK 21 March 2019 14:34
jonwilly

Considering a Macbook Pro

Just having cashed in a UK investment I find myself with a spot of cash to spare.

Time for a treat so a 15 " Macbook Pro is looking good.

Several places in Chiang Mai have on offer or does an on line order seem a better bet ?

Anyone any recent experience ?

john

BTW.. When ordering from Apple, Shipping is free and there are no additional import fees or VAT.

Edited by Jeffrey346
  • Like 1

See this guy  (non)  .... Mac Service Thailand  093-1563636   in Chiang Mai

One essential extra is extended warranty,  I have had a MacBook Pro for years and always take the 2 years extra cover, why ? , because MacBooks are beautifully engineered but they still go wrong.

Cost savings for me personally have been in excess of $ 1200 compared to $400 for extra cover.

Having said all that I would still buy another, why? , it’s a Mac.

I would also agree with previous poster that buying it direct from Apple is the way to go.

Edited by PJPom
Adding final comment
  • Like 2

Be cautious about people saying Mac's are better spec, less trouble, don't get viruses, etc. For the last few years I have had loads of problems with Mac's (I use 3 of them and my wife has a 4th) Mac's are basically 'sealed units' in the sense that you can do nothing with them - you need to get them to the Mac shop for any repairs. My chief annoyance with them at the moment is they will not re-connect with WiFi after sleep. You have to re-boot the machine. Tons of people here will say that's not true - but just Google it. I use Apogee Quartet which ONLY works on Macs, it's my AD converter for sequencing, and I use it with Pianoteq 6. Apogee NEVER connects with Mac first time, and has to be Hot Swapped - which is jargon for pull the plug out and re-connect. Apogee tell me it's the Mac and not the Apogee. Mac's FAIL after a few years (I have another 3 of them that have failed) BUT having said all that - I don't think PC's are much better. My point is do not believe the hype about Mac. They use exactly the same chips, and all that's different is OSX instead of Windows. They are WAY more expensive too. I'm seriously going back to PC's.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shackleton123 said:

They are WAY more expensive too. I

No they are not. If you get a PC with the same specifications as a Mac the Mac is cheaper. 

If you just just want a really cheap (slow) PC you can buy one, Apple does not make that spec.

high end computers are where the profit is, Apple is only in that market. Most PC makers make low end stuff as well.

The new models, possibly with 32 GIG of RAM, are rumored to be coming out in June. I'd think a few months wait is worth the trouble for the extra GIGs and whatever improvements come with the new models. 

• Like 1

Macs are great... I would order from Apple Thailand directly... One thing to watch out when ordering is the keyboard language... (It is an option you can select)... mine has a Thai/English keyboard which I like... but others may not want... 

Bought this Mb/Pro in Bangkok 2013...been using it in Sydney since then.

Was the second one we have owned and our next will be the third.

3 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Macs are great... I would order from Apple Thailand directly... One thing to watch out when ordering is the keyboard language... (It is an option you can select)... mine has a Thai/English keyboard which I like... but others may not want... 

It is easy to configure any Mac for any international keyboard; we have Thai installed on our 2 Macs (just a control panel setting).  Then the wife buys stickers to show the Thai characters along with the English alphabet (buy online for about US$4).  This is because we buy our Macs in the States; bought in Thailand is probably pre-configured. 

I’m a Mac devotee with various devices, including a MacBook Pro. Bearing in mind that Apple are going to open their own store in Bangkok later this year, I would definitely order direct from Apple WITH the extended warranty.

The major preferred Apple supplier in Thailand (Com7) are already feeling the effect of the imminent Apple presence and have already laid off a great number of staff. They were pretty useless on all fronts like repairs, which had to go to Singapore so Apple BKK is like a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1