BANGKOK 22 March 2019 21:57
jonwilly

Considering a Macbook Pro

3 hours ago, sotsira said:

This is a common problem with all the new designed keyboard models introduced since 2016. 

Many unhappy owners are requesting Apple to make a recall on 

these machines through an online petition.

Some have even issued law suites against Apple due to the lack of

Apple's support .

Like you said, it's a major expensive job to replace the keyboard (about $700 in the US)

and then it's only going to reoccur after a short time scale. 

Many owners 1yr warranty have already elapsed, so not a good 

situation to be in.

It seems that Apple have made some significant decisions over the last couple of years with the designs of their new iPhones and MacBooks, with unfortunately terrible feedback and reviews.

I'm a huge Apple fan and have been since 2008, but right now, 

I'm sticking with my trustworthy mid 2010 MBP & iPhone 5 & 6 which work perfectly.

If i were  to acquire a new MBP I would defo look at the s/h market 

with models up to 2015, or the current  Mid-2015 15" - MJLQ2LL/A

which Apple are still selling.

Anything related to 2016 onwards I would steer clear until Apple 

pick up the ball that they dropped back then.

• Thanks 1

As a mac user for over a decade I have to say don't buy a new MacBook Pro - they are lemons, with very frequent keyboard issues that require repair - not something you want to be doing regularly in Thailand.

Go for the older style MacBook Pro retina with a magsafe 2 connector.

2 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

As a mac user for over a decade I have to say don't buy a new MacBook Pro - they are lemons, with very frequent keyboard issues that require repair - not something you want to be doing regularly in Thailand.

Go for the older style MacBook Pro retina with a magsafe 2 connector.

Hmmmhh.. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro retina 15. Took over 3 months to replace a swollen battery.....

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

Hmmmhh.. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro retina 15. Took over 3 months to replace a swollen battery.....

Unlucky.. I've had a few over the years and never had this happen.

I certainly preferred the older style where the case was easy to open and repairs / upgrades were easy to do myself - my 2011 MBP was great, bought the top i7 processor with the lowest RAM and HD and as soon as I got it I swapped out the RAM and HD for 16GB Crucial and an OWC SSD and the machine was very powerful and better than the highest available spec. Only cost me about 5000 more once I sold on the originals. Sold the machine for about 30% less than I'd spent four years later. I'd have kept it but my employer bought me a new machine so was superfluous - confident it'd still be a good machine today.

These days laptops (it's not just Apple) tend to be very locked down, not easy to upgrade components incrementally which I think is a big shame. It's worse in Thailand since official repairs aren't done in the country.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

These days laptops (it's not just Apple) tend to be very locked down, not easy to upgrade components incrementally which I think is a big shame. It's worse in Thailand since official repairs aren't done in the country.

Mine is a 500 Gig version, thought about upgrading to to one Tera, OWC didn't provide it for my model.

Unlucky.. I've had a few over the years and never had this happen.

I certainly preferred the older style where the case was easy to open and repairs / upgrades were easy to do myself - my 2011 MBP was great, bought the top i7 processor with the lowest RAM and HD and as soon as I got it I swapped out the RAM and HD for 16GB Crucial and an OWC SSD and the machine was very powerful and better than the highest available spec. Only cost me about 5000 more once I sold on the originals. Sold the machine for about 30% less than I'd spent four years later. I'd have kept it but my employer bought me a new machine so was superfluous - confident it'd still be a good machine today.

Yep, my 2011 mbpro with SSD is still going strong. Best laptop I’ve ever had. I also doubt I’d buy one of the newer models.

I was fairly heavily invested in the Apple eco-system (as is their want) and I guess with anything, if you don't have problems with 'X' it can make you view them as great.  They can be, I guess, but my experience with Mac Book Pros has been less than stellar.

MBP 15" (2012 IIRC): First problem was a HDD failure.  3 months later, GPU failure.  Luckily still in warranty.  Got shot of it.

MBP 13" (2015):  Runs hot, right speaker blew.

Shit happens I guess.  Plan to try something else next time round, not Apple.

I will not be replacing my Mac book with another. I ditched my iphone and cannot be happier. No more throttling of speeds or battery hijinks.  My ipod battery wore out years ago and after 2 of them, I never replaced  it. I don't use most of the gimmicks on  my Mac  and work almost exclusively in win word and XL. I hate the windows office for Mac and prefer to use my work or mobile PCs. My Mac was intended for field work and when traveling. With the new products available from competitors, Apple technology has lost its edge.  Apple was  wonderful 5 years ago, but is  losing market share with good reason. I have also realized that with the money I will save, I can upgrade my laptops every 3 years. I don't feel as bad when something breaks either, and boy were my apple products unreliable.

• Like 1

I have two MBPs, a late 2008 and a 2017 I bought in early 2018 they both work great. Other than the screen on the late 2008 has some lines now. My iPhone 6s works fine. I started buying Apples in 1996 as I have friends who work at Apple and get the employee discount on my computers. My iPhones were buy one get one free. I maxed out the RAM at 8 GB and put a 500 GB SSD in my older MBP. The newer one had 16 G RAM and a 1 TB flash drive. Video output works great. 

Over the years I have had 5 Apple computers, the only one that doesn't still work is a G4 Titanium laptop. My first, a 3400C still works, I use it to FAX. My hard drive on my really old iPod is finally giving up, my 8 year old iPod touch still works as do my old iPads.