It's a crime: Foreigners marrying Thais now subject to fingerprints taken for criminal background

rooster59

47 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

They are overstepping their authority, because even if you are a criminal you can still marry, there are no laws forbidding it. Hell, they even marry people in gaol. Hope HRW will challenge this

??????

Of course they can make a law banning it. Laos banned men over 60 or something marrying Laotian women.

Any country can pass any law they want to.

Don't even need a law. Pass a regulation requiring police check as part of the documentation. Document not present, sorry, can not marry. Nothing to do with the law or lack of.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
??????
Of course they can make a law banning it. Laos banned men over 60 or something marrying Laotian women.
Any country can pass any law they want to.
Don't even need a law. Pass a regulation requiring police check as part of the documentation. Document not present, sorry, can not marry. Nothing to do with the law or lack of.

I think you're confusing Laos with Cambodia.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Media1 said:

what really amazes me about the brain power of these geniois officials is when you fly to or from a country like AU USA any criminal warrant is on the screen dear boy.  So your once again wasting time and being a monkey lol.

Do I need to point out that the regulation applies to all foreigners marrying Thais, not just those from the US and Oz, etc?

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think you're confusing Laos with Cambodia.

Quite right sir! Thanks for the correction.

Aged 50 and over. Pity that law wasn't in LOS when I wanted to get married!

I was thinking Laos because I know they don't allow unmarried foreign man/ Laos woman to sleep together.

3 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

If you have done no wrong, you need not fear a knock on your door at midnight.

If I get a knock on my door at midnight, be assured someone's gonna' have a problem and

it ain't necessarily gonna' be me.

Quite right sir! Thanks for the correction.
Aged 50 and over. Pity that law wasn't in LOS when I wanted to get married!
I was thinking Laos because I know they don't allow unmarried foreign man/ Laos woman to sleep together.

Tell me about it! I eventually married my Lao girlfriend after around 6 years as we had a kid. Impossible to do in Laos, with major risks as we had already broken Lao law, impossible to do in Thailand as we couldn't get the Affirmation to Marry from the Lao Embassy, so we married in the UK. Still difficult when back in Laos as the marriage is not recognised. Luckily the village headman is sympathetic.

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The issue is the reason stated for the criminal record check -- is the responsibility of the immigration department with regards to issuing a fiancé / marriage visa -- not some two bit local provincial administrative department.  You do not get the right to reside here because of marriage, only that that is one avenue to apply for a visa ... but visas can always be denied to people that the government deems not worthy.   As such the regulation change is just racist or xenophobic if they are requiring the check only on the foreigner (for permission to get married).   

You do not need a marriage visa to marry a Thai and after you marry her you do not need one I have stayed on my retirement. Learn the rules before posting nonsense

So what about Farlangs that want to marry Thai women in Thailand for convenience purposes and don`t have criminal records?

And how do the Thai police intend to check if foreigners have criminal records? Is there some kind of international police criminal record database?

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The issue is the reason stated for the criminal record check -- is the responsibility of the immigration department with regards to issuing a fiancé / marriage visa -- not some two bit local provincial administrative department.  You do not get the right to reside here because of marriage, only that that is one avenue to apply for a visa ... but visas can always be denied to people that the government deems not worthy.   As such the regulation change is just racist or xenophobic if they are requiring the check only on the foreigner (for permission to get married).   

They don't offer "marriage visas" in Thailand. They are only extensions and married foreigners still have to jump through hoops to get them. A lot prefer the retirement extension option because of all the fuss they make to renew the marriage extensions.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can't see what the big deal is here.... 

Non-EU Nationals have their fingerprints scanned when entering the UK.

The criminal history check is also a good idea given the recent news and reputation Thailand has as a place for criminals to live. Thailand has every right to protect its citizens for marrying those who may have criminal records or at least ensure that this information is known to the marrying party. 

Absolutely!!!!   Think of the poor suckers who lose their house, land, money to some conniving female.  It cuts both ways!!!

4 hours ago, saakura said:

In the US, they would do a cavity search.

Is that from personal experience or a secret desire? Such invasive "body cavity" searches require a court order and are performed by a licensed physician.

23 minutes ago, tropo said:

They don't offer "marriage visas" in Thailand. They are only extensions and married foreigners still have to jump through hoops to get them. A lot prefer the retirement extension option because of all the fuss they make to renew the marriage extensions.

So glad I moved my family to the UK no silly by-laws and whimsical hoops to jump through for the amusement of some petty bureaucrat here. We can visit our summer house in Spain if we start to get the winter blues. And visit Thailand for a few weeks before the fun starts to run out. So nice living in a democratic country with real rules and values. 

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

One wife not enough for a guy in a wheel chair? " Ah but a man's reach should exceed his grasp...."

One wife I agree who wants more otherwise a talk fest! As long as you have a boner Who cares about the reach. PS One day you will be in same situation!

1 hour ago, WHYWHY said:

I hate that word Farang 

So if that's the case maybe Thai women should also be checked 

To insure they are marriage for the right reason for Love not Money 

Actually, it is not as pejorative as the Japanese gaijin or the Chinese gweiloh, both which imply an inferior species. Simply means you are not Thai.

13 minutes ago, Jackin1960 said:

So glad I moved my family to the UK no silly by-laws and whimsical hoops to jump through for the amusement of some petty bureaucrat here. We can visit our summer house in Spain if we start to get the winter blues. And visit Thailand for a few weeks before the fun starts to run out. So nice living in a democratic country with real rules and values. 

True It sums up what they will lose, The Junta has lost the plot!

Archived