Jump to content
BANGKOK 20 February 2019 11:50
rooster59

It's a crime: Foreigners marrying Thais now subject to fingerprints taken for criminal background

Recommended Posts

Should make it so only eligible for Non 'O' based on marriage after minimum 10 years of being married. That should sort it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 11:16 AM, rooster59 said:

“Specifically they are making farang (foreigners) who are marrying Thai get a criminal record check and a personality profile check to make sure farang are not marrying just to get a marriage visa,” the expat wrote.

 

As if marrying to get a marriage visa were a criminal offense. I would have thought that is why they offered it. Stunning stupidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sure would be a big problem for a criminal.

Most so called 'developed nations' require it - so why not the 'developed' beings also undergo the same procedure?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foreigners entering Malaysia and Cambodia have had their fingerprints scanned for years now.

 

Marriage aside, with the whole BS of "Good guys in - Bad guys out" - where is similar technology for Thailand, being a more developed country???? 

 

Could it be that fingerprints on the immigration system here can not be manipulated buy corrupt Thai officials for entry and exit???? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 11:16 AM, rooster59 said:

and a personality profile check to make sure farang are not marrying just to get a marriage visa,”

What sort of personality profile check?  Personality profiles are notoriously unreliable.  Here in Thailand, I can't imagine what they have in mind.   Are psychologists generally qualified to make this sort of assessment?  Assuming some are (which I suspect is not the case), how many are in Thailand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2018 at 1:29 AM, NamKangMan said:

Foreigners entering Malaysia and Cambodia have had their fingerprints scanned for years now.

 

Marriage aside, with the whole BS of "Good guys in - Bad guys out" - where is similar technology for Thailand, being a more developed country???? 

 

Could it be that fingerprints on the immigration system here can not be manipulated buy corrupt Thai officials for entry and exit???? 

 

1 hour ago, Horace said:

What sort of personality profile check?  Personality profiles are notoriously unreliable.  Here in Thailand, I can't imagine what they have in mind.   Are psychologists generally qualified to make this sort of assessment?  Assuming some are (which I suspect is not the case), how many are in Thailand?

Should avoid these unreliable countries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  These days a lot of computer programmes are able to find out a lot more about you than just the fingerprints. George Orwell was right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 5:19 PM, jenny2017 said:

  These days a lot of computer programmes are able to find out a lot more about you than just the fingerprints. George Orwell was right. 

 

True, but that information about an individual first starts with identifying the said individual in the first place. 

 

As mentioned, less developed, neighboring countries, have been using fingerprints for several years now. 

 

Not so, Thailand, which is the country that needs it most. 

 

Once again, Thailand's neighbors, which is Thailand's tourism competition, are doing things better, despite being less "developed." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 3:01 PM, ezzra said:

Why don't they fingerprint everybody who comes into Thailand at the airport, just in case you know,

who knows what else will necessitate fingerprint in futur so might as well....

 

That is precisely what they do at Changi Airport Immigration, with an electronic fingerprint reader.

 

My last time there I was sent to the Immigration Office at the side of the lineup because 'your fingerprints do not match' what was already on record (been visiting Zinger since the 1980s). Passport, signature, face, everything else match up, right Ossifer? 

 

So much for their vaunted technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could certainly recommend a personality profile check for the Thai spouse,

to make sure she's of sane mind, and isn't just marrying for money or to control & destroy her husbands life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really not a bad idea they should know who wants to marry and if there has been any  dramas in their  Country of origin 

when my lady came to Australia ?? she had to do this and also a  special branch  police check 

only people not  wanting to  comply  Maybe to much  shady history 

 Not really a breach privacy As if you are thinking of  marriage all parties should be  transparent 

hope you are not  offended about my two cents worth 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fingerprints are not a big issue with me. I've only been fingerprinted once in connection with a job where I had to handle money. Thais will make their own rules and they get brownie points if they appear to be "tough" on those worthless clods who are pumping money into their economy. Simply disgraceful, the way some folk spread the wealth around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...