It's a crime: Foreigners marrying Thais now subject to fingerprints taken for criminal background

rooster59

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's that thing called that detects whether a person is lying? Polygraph or something. All Thai girls should be given the test before any nuptuals take place.

Also an HIV/AIDS check would not go amiss to. After all once the knot is tied rubbers are history.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

PHUKET: Officials in charge of registering marriages in Phuket have confirmed that they have begun scanning fingerprints of all foreign men who register to marry a Thai woman so that they can have criminal background checks conducted.

The big problem I have with this is that when a criminal background check is conducted, in the majority of cases, the information comes from data banks showing those that have already been convicted and paid for their crimes. Hence the reason they are registered.

In an extremely few cases only, will the check show people with active warrants against them or that are currently suspect for crimes committed. After all, what responsible government would allow these people to travel abroad? (IMO if any of this group want to bring themselves into the public eye, even by getting married, then they deserve to be caught).

What the check doesn't show is criminals that are currently active and haven't been caught. You know the ones, this is the group that could cause problems to not only the good name of Thailand but to the safety of the citizens as well.

Sooooooooo, what is the point in the overall reality of the things? Seen to be done? Persecuting people who have already paid for their crimes? I would never personally condone criminal actions, but through the years I have met (and known) a LOT of people who have made mistakes in the past, got caught and served their time and moved on with their lives never looking back.

Just an observation, and for clarity, I am not one of the ones mentioned in the above paragraph, I was never caught for my mistakes.........:tongue:

30 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Why don't they fingerprint everybody who comes into Thailand at the airport, just in case you know,

who knows what else will necessitate fingerprint in futur so might as well....

The fingerprint on entry to Thailand was suppose to be implemented last year, but like all things like this... we don't know why they did not meet that timeframe... or when/if it will be implemented.... or the current status... We might not know until one day 3 years from now it is operational with no forewarning.

1 hour ago, mark01 said:

Just another reason not to marry a Thai.

Can't see the advantage anyway, unless you want a marriage visa.

I want to marry my Thai girlfriend because I love her, and to ensure a smooth transition of my estate when the time comes, as barring accident I am very likely to "move on" before she does.
A marriage visa, and perhaps more importantly the right to work, are pretty good incentives, too.

6 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

People on Permanent Residence are routinely fingerprinted at every turn when renewing books, getting exit stamps etc. So what?

The issue is that if criminal background checks are done as part of the marriage registration - then ALL parties to that marriage should have a criminal background check as part of the process (NOTE: This is Thai criminal background check if they are only doing fingerprinting - since the the provincial department would not have access to foreign databases).

Specifically they are making farang (foreigners) who are marrying Thai get a criminal record check and a personality profile check to make sure farang are not marrying just to get a marriage visa,

If this is to prevent marriage for marriage visa, then this is the responsibility of the immigration department to ensure that as part of the marriage visa application that the foreigner submits a criminal history (like permanent residency requirements etc.).   Getting married, and applying for a marriage visa are two completely different processes.  Marriage visa is the immigration department, and I have no problem with a criminal history requirement for marriage visas -- but then if that is the case they should likely be part of all visas of similar length.  Marriage by itself gives you no right to get a visa, it is one of several categories for applying for a visa -- but like all visa applications -- it could be denied if they consider you persona-non-grata.  

5 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

It's relatively minor compared the the dicking around that the British government goes in for when a Thai wants to marry and move there.

I also like the implied assumption that no farang woman would ever marry a Thai man.

It is not the same thing.  This is the marriage application process - not the visa process.  Marriage does not give you a right to immigrate or get a visa -- you have to be approved and they have requirements -- in many cases you have to show you can support the other person if you are sponsoring them.  In Canada I believe if you sponsor your significant other, you are committing to sponsoring that person regardless.  i.e. if you get married, and 3 years later you get divorced, and a few years later that person (who now has permanent residence) goes on welfare -- you are responsible as the sponsor to reimburse the government for your sponsor.  I think that commitment lives for up to 10 years.

Many years ago, the fun at the Bars was "Pick the Captain from a group of foreigners together"....

All you had to do was look for a Purple thumb....Yep thats him for sure.

Everytime you entered a Port after being at sea more than 12 miles, you had to thumb print untold pages of stuff, just to clear the crew and the Vessel....and sometimes you would be in and out of Port every few days.....

there is no such marriage visa in Thailand.Marriage visa exists in countries which care about basic human rights. It's money visa....why can't they put that in their skulls? Marriage certificate alone doesn't give you the right for a visa. It's the 400k.

Can't see what the big deal is here.... 

Non-EU Nationals have their fingerprints scanned when entering the UK.

The criminal history check is also a good idea given the recent news and reputation Thailand has as a place for criminals to live. Thailand has every right to protect its citizens for marrying those who may have criminal records or at least ensure that this information is known to the marrying party. 

And yet we are overun with EU criminals now.....

Sent from my LG-H850 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The Thai authorities can't even track their own high profile criminals, so what makes them think they will be able to find any info about the average geezer wanting to get married !!!

Because the info will come from the police force of the farang.

Won't make any difference anyway. Actual criminals will just get a village wedding.

However, I fear it's not too long before a police check will be required with any application for a non O visa of any sort.

Already required for an OA.

21 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

there is no such marriage visa in Thailand.Marriage visa exists in countries which care about basic human rights. It's money visa....why can't they put that in their skulls? Marriage certificate alone doesn't give you the right for a visa. It's the 400k.

It's about getting married, not a visa. 

I nearly spilt my water when I read personality test lol. You got Thai cutting people up and marrying 4 wives. 

And the crazy people are concerned about educated westerners lol. Just another reason to vote the tin pot administration out. Good riddens

Archived