BANGKOK 22 February 2019 03:14
rooster59

It's a crime: Foreigners marrying Thais now subject to fingerprints taken for criminal background

5 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

It's relatively minor compared the the dicking around that the British government goes in for when a Thai wants to marry and move there.

I also like the implied assumption that no farang woman would ever marry a Thai man.

It is not the same thing.  This is the marriage application process - not the visa process.  Marriage does not give you a right to immigrate or get a visa -- you have to be approved and they have requirements -- in many cases you have to show you can support the other person if you are sponsoring them.  In Canada I believe if you sponsor your significant other, you are committing to sponsoring that person regardless.  i.e. if you get married, and 3 years later you get divorced, and a few years later that person (who now has permanent residence) goes on welfare -- you are responsible as the sponsor to reimburse the government for your sponsor.  I think that commitment lives for up to 10 years.

Should include a microchip inserted as well....LOL

Edited by wvavin

They are overstepping their authority, because even if you are a criminal you can still marry, there are no laws forbidding it. Hell, they even marry people in gaol. Hope HRW will challenge this

• Like 1

Many years ago, the fun at the Bars was "Pick the Captain from a group of foreigners together"....

All you had to do was look for a Purple thumb....Yep thats him for sure.

Everytime you entered a Port after being at sea more than 12 miles, you had to thumb print untold pages of stuff, just to clear the crew and the Vessel....and sometimes you would be in and out of Port every few days.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maverell said:

It is a good idea for farang wanting to marry to have a background check, but it should also happen in reverse ?

Nah, just look for tattoos and a splay toed walking style.

there is no such marriage visa in Thailand.Marriage visa exists in countries which care about basic human rights. It's money visa....why can't they put that in their skulls? Marriage certificate alone doesn't give you the right for a visa. It's the 400k.

32 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Should include a microchip inserted as well....LOL

Inserting a microchip or your macrochip is what starts the brains malfunction !

Can't see what the big deal is here.... 

Non-EU Nationals have their fingerprints scanned when entering the UK.

The criminal history check is also a good idea given the recent news and reputation Thailand has as a place for criminals to live. Thailand has every right to protect its citizens for marrying those who may have criminal records or at least ensure that this information is known to the marrying party. 

And yet we are overun with EU criminals now.....

Sent from my LG-H850 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The Thai authorities can't even track their own high profile criminals, so what makes them think they will be able to find any info about the average geezer wanting to get married !!!

Because the info will come from the police force of the farang.

Won't make any difference anyway. Actual criminals will just get a village wedding.

However, I fear it's not too long before a police check will be required with any application for a non O visa of any sort.

Already required for an OA.

21 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

there is no such marriage visa in Thailand.Marriage visa exists in countries which care about basic human rights. It's money visa....why can't they put that in their skulls? Marriage certificate alone doesn't give you the right for a visa. It's the 400k.

It's about getting married, not a visa. 

I nearly spilt my water when I read personality test lol. You got Thai cutting people up and marrying 4 wives. 

And the crazy people are concerned about educated westerners lol. Just another reason to vote the tin pot administration out. Good riddens

Edited by Media1

3 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

What about a sanity check and a check for the brides pseudo brother?

if they start doing checks on Thais they will need 2 more jails