It's a crime: Foreigners marrying Thais now subject to fingerprints taken for criminal background

rooster59

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Crossy said:

In reality it's a non-issue, unless you've been a bad doggie in Thailand, from the linked article:-

Supposedly you are to provide a criminal record check when applying for a retirement visa ! But I don't think people do. If you haven't been a bad boy or girl you have nothing to worry about lol

Just hot air from the Thai authorities as usual.  Completely useless exercise as the checks would never get done outside of Thailand and anyone wanted for a crime in Thailand wouldn't have had their fingerprints taken anyway, unless they were in custody.  Add to that the likelihood of a farang criminal wanted in Thailand wishing to marry a Thai woman to stay there is... Duh! 

On a side note - Phuket government office, what a laughable shit hole place that is. Spent 2 weeks trying to get my marriage certificate, few scheduled appointments and countless run arounds just to realize in the end the lady wanted me to grease the wheels with some baht. Which NY wife told her to <deleted> off is her own words. 

Less hassle to take the 4 hour bus to Krabi. 

Seems like a stupid check. It’s all about foreigners buying land in their thai wife’s name. Problem is the land ownership is so strict for foreigners it leaves us open to be scammed where if married and you sell your house you get 50-50% 

what if they married the thai in a foreign country 

34 minutes ago, Jackin1960 said:

So glad I moved my family to the UK no silly by-laws and whimsical hoops to jump through for the amusement of some petty bureaucrat here. We can visit our summer house in Spain if we start to get the winter blues. And visit Thailand for a few weeks before the fun starts to run out. So nice living in a democratic country with real rules and values. 

Well it's horses for courses.  I also moved my family to the UK but many prefer the life in S.E.A.  There are upsides and downsides to all places.

And what next ? Home visits by the police, with full impunity and no warrant, to see if the farang is providing to his wife ? ..which could lead to the cops scanning all your belongings, cash, valuables and asking you from where you got the money to purchase ?...then perhaps planting some Yaba in your house that would require to give in your car and half of your bank account to be free ?.....I myself find this amusing a ridiculous theory..but....in a corrupt society, sky is the limit to dishonesty, so better think twice before getting involved with all the legal hassle of marriage.....

8 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The Thai authorities can't even track their own high profile criminals, so what makes them think they will be able to find any info about the average geezer wanting to get married !!!

As all clearly can see, you have absolutely no knowledge at all about how good they are at tracking.

6 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

What about a sanity check and a check for the brides pseudo brother?

Oh cripes, my thoughts exactly!  With the greatest respect to her indoors, I wish I had had a 'brain working or not' scan 10 years ago!  :saai:

It is one thing to ask for this information as an immigration matter when entering the country. However it an entirely different matter when you are living in Thailand legally and are about to marry and asked for fingerprints. They are treating legally settled foreigners as criminals. What an invasion of your civil rights. Thai's make up more of the criminal element in Thailand than any other group. Why then are Thai's not subject to the same rules? Thailand is such a blatantly racist country and they do not even attempt to hide it.

6 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

It is one thing to ask for this information as an immigration matter when entering the country. However it an entirely different matter when you are living in Thailand legally and are about to marry and asked for fingerprints. They are treating legally settled foreigners as criminals.

I read all the time here about foreign criminals settled in Thailand for decades getting caught.

36 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

It is one thing to ask for this information as an immigration matter when entering the country. However it an entirely different matter when you are living in Thailand legally and are about to marry and asked for fingerprints. They are treating legally settled foreigners as criminals. What an invasion of your civil rights. Thai's make up more of the criminal element in Thailand than any other group. Why then are Thai's not subject to the same rules? Thailand is such a blatantly racist country and they do not even attempt to hide it.

36 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

It’s their country, it’s their rules if you don’t like it there is another option.

My Thai wife had to have her fingerprints taken by the police in Australia and sent to the Special Branch in Thailand as part of her application for residency in Australia.

In Malaysia they take your fingerprints on entry as a tourist.

For me if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.

2 hours ago, Jackin1960 said:

So glad I moved my family to the UK no silly by-laws and whimsical hoops to jump through for the amusement of some petty bureaucrat here. We can visit our summer house in Spain if we start to get the winter blues. And visit Thailand for a few weeks before the fun starts to run out. So nice living in a democratic country with real rules and values. 

I will second that, sad for those who cannot afford to follow us who now need a fingerprint check just to marry a bar girl and have to live in such a sad place where they have absolutely no rights whatsoever. And still its better that home so we are told. some silly people around aren't there?

I will second that, sad for those who cannot afford to follow us who now need a fingerprint check just to marry a bar girl and have to live in such a sad place where they have absolutely no rights whatsoever. And still its better that home so we are told. some silly people around aren't there?

Not as silly and sad as the people who still want to troll the forums of the "sad place".

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

46 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

This place and its stories are better than any comic or laughing gas!

Don't you mean you're a bored out of your brains Brit with sod all else to do on a miserable freezing cold Saturday. You're kidding no one. You miss Thailand like <deleted> else you wouldnt still be hanging around here. 

Archived