BANGKOK 18 July 2019 13:44
rooster59

It's a crime: Foreigners marrying Thais now subject to fingerprints taken for criminal background

Finger prints not that bad, but when they want dna sample it will be too much. If became mandatory I would offer to give a dark and brown hard one or creamy fresh liquid sample.

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

personality profile check

The mind boggles!!!

It's rather pointless because any foreigner with a serious criminal record in Thailand would have been deported and blacklisted after finishing his prison sentence.  Being unable to check for foreign criminal records makes it completely pointless.  

I would advise foreigners marrying Thais to ask them for a Thai police clearance which can be obtained inexpensively on request.  

What's the matter with you people. I got a pink ID and yellow book and had to give my fingerprints too.

Nobody say's that you have to stay in this country if you not accept the rules and regulations.

As soon as I make a comment about how "messed up" the United States, is ... Someone in Thailand speaks.  :(

The real crime here is after all the recommended checks have been completed any foreigner still remains subject to annual visa requirements no matter how long he or she has been married and supporting their spouse and family, it is high time the Thai government addressed this and made it easier for foreigners to gain residence, say after marriage then living and supporting his or her family for a period of five years without leaving the country.

• Like 2

I would have no problem with the Thai immigration totally vetting me as long as they make it easier for me to be in Thailand when I am not working. I have been here for 12 years and married for 10. I work all over the globe but have

spent all my earnings in Thailand to support my family. Why do I still have to go to some other country to get my Thai spouse visa and why do I need to leave Thailand every 90 days. It is a hell of a hassle.

18 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Next up...Eye Scanning, DNA Samples, Wallet Searches Et al !

the wallet search has been going on for ages. what goes on is actually closer to wallet raids than searches.

The U.S. should charge Thai's more to get into parks and places like Disneyland. They also should fingerprint them if they want to marry non Thai's. Every racist policy of insert name of country should be implemented in the country of the targeted citizens.

I can't just go to Mexico (or anywhere really) and have a child and consider that child to be my anchor baby, etc.

The idea can be linked to the Dunning–Kruger effect, "a cognitive bias wherein unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate" owing to "a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude" (and, by the same token, of "highly skilled individuals to underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others")." (From "Open Culture".)

John Cleese on Stupidity.mp4

When my Canadian friend married a Thai woman, she needed a police, security check to satisfy Canada, and Thailand before she left Thailand, so you punters that want to believe otherwise, good luck to you and your

fantasy. It does swing both ways. Not sure about othrr countries, but I suspect their security needs are

similar.  After all 9, 11, affected us all.

Geezer

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can't see what the big deal is here.... 

Non-EU Nationals have their fingerprints scanned when entering the UK.

The criminal history check is also a good idea given the recent news and reputation Thailand has as a place for criminals to live. Thailand has every right to protect its citizens for marrying those who may have criminal records or at least ensure that this information is known to the marrying party. 

In a perfect world, in which records are:

1. Kept under the strictest security

2. Corruption is non-existent

there is nothing wrong with this idea.

In reality, the more information authorities collect on you, the more exposed you are to risks of identity theft, false incrimination, and various types of scams.

Your privacy is crucial even if you are a 100% law abiding person.

Asking for a police check is one thing - I see nothing wrong in that -but collecting fingerprints is another.