BANGKOK 27 March 2019 04:21
stargazer9999

Siam TV vs. Power Buy for future service on appliances

I've bought appliances from Siam TV before and the service used to be decent but I think it's gotten harder to get quick service in recent years.  I could get an A/C cleaned or repaired by Siam in a day or two before.  Not anymore.  And I abhor their aggressive sales staff.

I was considering buying a fridge from Power Buy on the Northwest corner of the moat instead.  Has anyone had any experience with them for servicing a fridge, A/C, or whatever?

I don't want to buy from Tesco/Lotus or Macro.  If anyone has a better place to buy from near the Old City please let me know.   I'm not worrying about buying the fridge so much as getting quick maintenance in the future if/when needed.

• Like 1

Saha Panich has been good for servicing their sales for many years, very good.  Guarantees too.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Saha Panich has been good for servicing their sales for many years, very good.  Guarantees too.

Agree.

Siam  ...   their attention to our wishes, was impressive. We bought a desktop computer as a gift for a friend, a model with everything fitted inside the slim modern design.

Took it to friends home, 5 minutes away, and it didn't work, so straight back to their shop within 10 minutes. Sales team no longer interested at all,  we got told to go to service and repairs building.

Service staff more interested in their own chatting than customers and staff just didn't listen when my adult Thai son tried to explain that we had bought the item just 45 minutes ago.

Service staff just kept repeating '2 weeks, 2 weeks'. 

Son tried to convince them to plug it in and turn it on, it's new, maybe something very simple can be fixed immediately. Service staff just kept repeating '2 weeks, 2 weeks', and their attitude getting worse.

Son asked if he could plug it in in the service room. Not allowed.

We left the computer at their service center and son called several times and got poor attitude when he asked when we could pick it up.

At 14 days son went to the service center. The service staff who 'know about your case' not at the building and son's request that they call these guys was just ignored.

Son went back at 18 days, junior told son that it was finished maybe 10 days ago. Son picked up the computer.  They wanted payment, son produced the invoice, cc receipt, and warranty document, but they tried to insist there was a payment due.

Son paid the money to get the matter settled, I forget how much he paid. Took the computer to friends house still not working correctly.

Son and friend took it to a capable guy upstairs at Pantip Plaza who quickly discovered there was a programming error which he fixed within a couple of hours, 300Baht. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Do not buy a computer from a Big Box store, buy from a computer store.

Same as jewelry. Buy a gemstone from a dealer, and have the jewelry store mount it if you want.

Way way better price.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 2

Just now, canthai55 said:

Same as jewelry. But a gemstone from a dealer, and have the jewelry store mount it if you want.

Way way better price.

Good advice. 

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

Same as jewelry. Buy a gemstone from a dealer, and have the jewelry store mount it if you want.

Way way better price.

Good advice.

• Like 1

I've just recently moved to Chiang Mai from Bangkok - I have purchased all my appliances from PowerBuy, fridge, washing machine and aircon, as well as an iPhone 7 Plus.  I have been quite satisfied to the point where I wouldn't consider buying elsewhere, except for computer stuff which I have just used InvadeIT for and am waiting to see if they live up to their reputation (so far so good).  The website is easy to use and generally accurate (although the AC I bought on special was advertised as a 12k btu unit, and it ended up being a 13k btu unit with heat pump capability - which I never use, but regardless, not going to complain, esp since it's an inverter unit so there's no penalty to the increased capacity).  They've just revamped the site as well, and now it appears that you can schedule a 1/2 hour delivery window (I've not used that capability yet so I can't speak to the accuracy).  The prices online vs in store appear to be the same, so you can browse in store and then buy online for ease of checkout and clarity in setting up delivery.  I've not seen better prices on things except perhaps Makro, I haven't strictly compared item to item.  I don't use them for service, I had an AC company I used in BKK that serviced my AC units, and expect to do the same here in CM.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Siam  ...   their attention to our wishes, was impressive. We bought a desktop computer as a gift for a friend, a model with everything fitted inside the slim modern design.

Took it to friends home, 5 minutes away, and it didn't work, so straight back to their shop within 10 minutes. Sales team no longer interested at all,  we got told to go to service and repairs building.

Service staff more interested in their own chatting than customers and staff just didn't listen when my adult Thai son tried to explain that we had bought the item just 45 minutes ago.

Service staff just kept repeating '2 weeks, 2 weeks'. 

Son tried to convince them to plug it in and turn it on, it's new, maybe something very simple can be fixed immediately. Service staff just kept repeating '2 weeks, 2 weeks', and their attitude getting worse.

Son asked if he could plug it in in the service room. Not allowed.

We left the computer at their service center and son called several times and got poor attitude when he asked when we could pick it up.

At 14 days son went to the service center. The service staff who 'know about your case' not at the building and son's request that they call these guys was just ignored.

Son went back at 18 days, junior told son that it was finished maybe 10 days ago. Son picked up the computer.  They wanted payment, son produced the invoice, cc receipt, and warranty document, but they tried to insist there was a payment due.

Son paid the money to get the matter settled, I forget how much he paid. Took the computer to friends house still not working correctly.

Son and friend took it to a capable guy upstairs at Pantip Plaza who quickly discovered there was a programming error which he fixed within a couple of hours, 300Baht. 

The last thing i bought at Siam TV was a food blender. It stopped working after the first use with smoke coming out of the motor. Took it back the next day and it was the same situation they said it has to go back to the manufacturer for repair, two weeks wait etc. They could have given me a replacement on the spot and sorted it with the manufacturer later but they don't see any benefit in that. About 3 weeks later they called to say a replacement was ready to be picked up. The replacement has had no problems and worked fine for the last couple of years.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Dante99 said:

SIAM: It is already a number of years ago that I bought 16 appliances in a single day. The amount of money involved was substantial.

Unfortunately, the subsequent number of problems with the company was also substantial.

On one occasion I threatened the owner (in writing) to take his company to court. I had the necessary written evidence to win the case and he knew it. That finally solved the protracted battle and he quickly settled/paid up.

Just think for a moment: how did he manage to grow his business from a small company in a small backstreet to a very large company, with a huge showroom, in a major thoroughfare, in just a few years?

POWER BUY: I once bought a B 9,995 vacuum cleaner for domestic use from Central Dept Store. It came with a 1-year warranty from the very major Japanese manufacturer. However, I let the salesman convince me to BUY an additional 2-year warranty from Power Buy. Meaning 3 years in total. The unit appeared to be garbage because the first of many problems occurred after about 15 months. This was, of course, well within the 2-year warranty from Power Buy. Unfortunately, the company never responded to my several requests. Not a word. Ever…. That was the first, and the last time I paid money to this company.     

SAHAPANICH: I have used them for many years. They will invariably abide by the terms of a warranty and in an admirable fashion. Never an issue. The only problem is that their service people are not all that knowledgeable. However, the Service Manager will gladly step in if his staff can't solve a problem.

NIYOMPANICH: exactly the same. (They used to be sister companies.)

TESCO-LOTUS & MAKRO: take their responsibilities very seriously.

HOME PRO: don't know.

Edited by peergin
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, peergin said:

The only problem is that their service people are not all that knowledgeable.

I have found them to be quite knowledgeable so I guess it is a mixed bag.  They seem to work areas, the same two guys working the same area for years.  At least we have had the same two for pumps, refrigerators and washing machines for years.  

On 2/24/2018 at 12:41 PM, petermik said:

Good luck with ANY guarantees here........:thumbsup:

It might perhaps appear slightly off topic but actually the quality of items that you buy (no matter from which retailer) is also highly important. Here are a few of my experiences that I find particularly disgusting:

THE THAI BRANCH OF A MAJOR AMERICAN MANUFACTURER

-          a 4-burner gas stove with oven. The first problem became apparent after only 14 months of use. When opened, the inside was found to be made from some cheap corrugated metal which was literally rusting/rotting away.

-          a microwave oven. It has worked well so far. Except, the LCD time display has become so faint that it is no longer legible. So, the user must stand in front of the unit with a watch in hand to prevent under- or over-cooking.

-          a large refrigerator (20.13 cu.ft./570 liters). Many problems. My experienced, independent fridge repair man solved these problems except for the last one. He always needed to scavenge old appliance dumps to try and find an old/used replacement part. Unfortunately, he did not succeed the last time. So, this fridge is now useless because of a lack of a replacement part the size of half a match box.

-          a washing machine. The only appliance that has worked well so far.

The U.S. manufacturer's Thai branch in Bangkok has advised me that it does not keep spares. Instead it urges customers to throw a defective appliance away and buy a new one. So, that is what I will do, BUT it won't be the same brand! Clearly this supplier has some serious quality problems!   

(By the way, I don't think this company's appliances are made in the USA. I suppose they come from China.)

A VERY MAJOR JAPANESE BRAND:

-          3 (different) water pumps that stopped working.

-          1 computer hard disk drive ditto.

-          1 (very expensive) vacuum cleaner (for domestic use) which proved to be garbage.

-          1 water heater. Immediately after installation it was found that it would not heat water. (Incidentally, 3 of Niyompanich's mechanics tried hard but could not find the problem. Finally, finally, after some angry, registered letters to the management of the Bangkok office of this Japanese manufacturer, one of their own mechanics succeeded in repairing this brand new appliance. I think my threat to submit this matter to the head office in Japan may have done the trick.   

-          1 electrical breaker/switch which did not work very long.

I am forgetting a few more instances but I don't want to dwell more on this subject because it is not good for my blood pressure.

People who may want to obtain the 2 brand names are welcome to send me a personal message.