65 Year Old American Tourist Smashed In The Face...

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya people: 22 Jan 2007

Mr. Joseph Alexander Hardwick, aged 65, an American tourist, came into Pattaya Police Station on 22nd January at 2 am to inform that he was injured in the head from an attack.

Mr. Hardwick’s stated that earlier, he was shopping at stands in Walking Street. When he was browsing a particular knife that he was interested on, he accidentally broke the chain that hangs from the knife, and the vendor told him that he must be responsible for it.

Since the item was very expensive, he refused to pay for it, which made the vendor extremely upset and he pulled out a knuckle duster and hit the American in the face.

When the police heard this, the vendor was asked to come to the police station straight away for questioning.

The vendor, Mr. Khachaphisit, aged 30, confessed to the police that he was angry when this foreigner broke his item for sale, since it was very expensive and the man refused to be responsible for it. He admitted that he couldn’t control his temper and so hit the man.

The police recorded all statements as evidence and it turned out that Mr. Khachaphisit will have to pay for Mr. Hardwick’s medical expenses.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if you break something you have to pay for it,as the thai vendor has now found out :o shame the silly old guy didnt realise that. he was obviously keen enough to fondle the goods but not pay for it when he broke it. im not excusing the use of violence by the way.

There are two sides to every story.

Lots of my customers throw the merchandise in the air and play catch with it while walking around the store and then leave without buying it.

The ones that drop it consider it to just an operating cost and would be horrified if I asked them to pay for it. :o

im sure it was overpriced (what isnt in walking street)but if you break something , surely you should pay. if you broke things in a china shop that you were handling you would expect to pay.

Actually in the Uk if you go into a shop and you handle merchandise which is on display and is there for you to pick up you are not liable in law to pay for accidental breakages.

Even if there are signs up saying that you are liable for any breakages the fact that they are on open display for you to handle removes responsibility from the person who broke it.

Why would a slim, lean and fit healthy Thai vendor need the aid of a knuckle duster, to smash the face of an elderley, frail, mild-mannered American tourist?

Because the Thai vendor was a coward. He could easily have called for the police to help him collect payment for the damaged goods...

Ok apprehend the old fella and get the police to sort it out, but smashing him in with a knuckle duster? Thats just nasty and in the real world the vendor would be getting charged with assault, but hey this is Thailand, the centre of 'quality tourist' destinations!

Edited by Robski

Lots of my customers throw the merchandise in the air and play catch with it while walking around the store and then leave without buying it.

The ones that drop it consider it to just an operating cost and would be horrified if I asked them to pay for it. :o

Are you going to get a knuckle-duster?

UG - book-enforcer!

Being a bit old and feeble myself, I prefer to rely on a sawed-off shotgun. :D

Why would a slim, lean and fit healthy Thai vendor need the aid of a knuckle duster, to smash the face of an elderley, frail, mild-mannered American tourist?

no mention of this in your op. or are you just guessing that it was a slim lean and fit healthy thai vendor?? also, are you just guessing that it was an elderly ,frail ,mild mannered american tourist ??? if you know these are facts why not tell us??

does make me wonder what an elderly,frail, mild mannered american was doing in the early hours perusing knives in walking street?? or perhaps just another <deleted> in town. :o

To be honest, I don't really blame the Thai guy for walloping the cheap old fart for refusing to pay for merchandise that he had broken, but I will admit that using a potentially lethal weapon was a bit much. :o

agreed. no excuse for excessive violence. but i get the feeling theres more to it than the op. the bib wouldnt ordinarily let it go if it was a seriously unjustified violent assault.

To be honest, I don't really blame the Thai guy for walloping the cheap old fart for refusing to pay for merchandise that he had broken, but I will admit that using a potentially lethal weapon was a bit much. :o

agreed. no excuse for excessive violence. but i get the feeling theres more to it than the op. the bib wouldnt ordinarily let it go if it was a seriously unjustified violent assault.

Indeed, there probably is "more to it". And that may well be the 1000 Baht note the vendor, Mr Kanchanapit (forgotten the name, something like that) paid to the coppers. "Mai pen rai, phee. Farang nee gae laeo. Deeo ja tai."

Edited by Briggsy

First of all for a 30 year old man to hit a 65 year old man is unexceptable in any culture Thai , American . African or European. To hit him with some kind of knuckle buster is just an act of pure insanity. If we can not respect our elders no matter what nationality they are, then we are no better than a bunch of monkeys hanging in trees flinging crap at each other.

PKG

My personel feeling is that 30 year old vendor should be beaten with in 1 inch of his life.

but thats just me. :D

The ones that drop it consider it to just an operating cost and would be horrified if I asked them to pay for it. :D

Being a bit old and feeble myself, I prefer to rely on a sawed-off shotgun. :D

Please post the details on the board where your shop premises are thus ensuring that would be customers are tooled up properly before attempting to handle your goods :o

Ok apprehend the old fella and get the police to sort it out, but smashing him in with a knuckle duster? Thats just nasty and in the real world the vendor would be getting charged with assault, but hey this is Thailand, the centre of 'quality tourist' destinations!

Exactly! This is shocking. Hitting an elderly gentleman with that much aggresion would be a very serious offense in most if not all civilized countries. Jail time would be the likely outcome if the same incident occured in my home country. It would seem more than a simple case of a person losing his temper. It seemed premeditated in that the thug would most likely have had to put on the knuckle duster before taking the swing.

I know, this is not my home country, but it worries me that even the aged are not safe from such thuggery.

Edited by tropo