65 Year Old American Tourist Smashed In The Face...

libya 115

My personel feeling is that 30 year old vendor should be beaten with in 1 inch of his life.

but thats just me. :o

It's not just you. I'm with you on that one.

Is that indicating that you two disapprove of violence.

Just asking is all.

I would like to think of it as justice not violence.

PKG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beware of picking up any merchandise from the street merchants. A while back I picked up one of those kitschy glass etching items, looked at it for a few seconds, and placed it gently back on the table. The vendor then picked up the item and started loudly accusing me of "scratching" the item and that I must pay immediately for it. Of course I denied damaging it and refused to pay (actually I couldn't even see a scratch) and started to walk briskly away from this lunatic. I wanted to avoid being featured on Pattaya City News. The madwoman then started chasing me and threatening to call the police, and I made a quick exit. I am certain this was a scam that works well on many. If you ever wondered how they can sell those kitschy glass etching items, know you know how.

Edited by Jingthing

My personel feeling is that 30 year old vendor should be beaten with in 1 inch of his life.

but thats just me. :o

It's not just you. I'm with you on that one.

Is that indicating that you two disapprove of violence.

Just asking is all.

Was that you "two", or you "too"?

I do not disapprove of violence. I disapprove of any person smashing a 65 year old gent in the head with knuckle dusters. I'm sorry my reply was ambiguous. IMO, under the right circumstances, violence is ok

How about you? Do you disapprove of violence two?

Edited by tropo

I would like to see more of these stories get into the international press then tourist will be able to see what they are up against when coming to the "Land Of Smiles" that has to be the joke of the decade. Like the lady that got punched out in Walking Street by the Thai guy because she didnt want any more pictures taken.

We had an incident again where I live here in Jomtien yesterday. The cleaning maids found a LOT of blood around one of the condo rooms and of course called the police when they arrived they said " NO Problem that is the owners blood" This is now called instint DNA, and away they went. (No tea Money)

Yes only in Thailand

the "Land Of Smiles" that has to be the joke of the decade.

I expected more smiles when I first came to Thailand. When I mention this, most members think it's me and my own attitude at fault. It would seem that I'm not the only one noticing it.

Let's hear what Jack and Jill have to say.

Edited by tropo

im sure it was overpriced (what isnt in walking street)but if you break something , surely you should pay. if you broke things in a china shop that you were handling you would expect to pay.

Actually in the Uk if you go into a shop and you handle merchandise which is on display and is there for you to pick up you are not liable in law to pay for accidental breakages.

Even if there are signs up saying that you are liable for any breakages the fact that they are on open display for you to handle removes responsibility from the person who broke it.

The above is the case in most "developed" countries (of which Thailand is not AND, will not be for eons "if ever")

That is why shops have insurance. If the item is relatively cheap the shop owner would be unlikely to make a claim.

As has been said, items in open cabinets are there for your perusal and inspection prior to deciding whether to make a purchase.

Accidents happen and should be built in to the shops overheads .

Edited by john b good

Why would a slim, lean and fit healthy Thai vendor need the aid of a knuckle duster, to smash the face of an elderley, frail, mild-mannered American tourist?

Pattaya scum.

There is no need to tar everyone in Pattaya with the same brush, yes he is scum for his actions and there is a lot of scum Thai in Pattaya, however I would argue that 99% of this pondlife ply their trade on Beach road and connecting sois.

Thais in Pattaya (away from the Tourist areas) are, like Thais anywhere good, honest, hardworking folk.

Why would a slim, lean and fit healthy Thai vendor need the aid of a knuckle duster, to smash the face of an elderley, frail, mild-mannered American tourist?

Pattaya scum.

There is no need to tar everyone in Pattaya with the same brush, yes he is scum for his actions and there is a lot of scum Thai in Pattaya, however I would argue that 99% of this pondlife ply their trade on Beach road and connecting sois.

Thais in Pattaya (away from the Tourist areas) are, like Thais anywhere good, honest, hardworking folk.

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately tourists are channelled to these areas as they do not have the benefit of local knowledge. One or two get severely assaulted every night and the police look the other way. This will sooner or later become more widely known than it is now.

He was probably showing him that it worked before the tourist bought it :o

Another satisfied customer! :D

He certainly isn't 65 by the looks of the photo.

No excuse for this sort of behaviour.

Very cowardly act by the vendor and he should be gaoled for assault.

Unfortunately in Pattaya anything can turn ugly very quickly so you need to have your wits about you at all times.

SOURCE: Pattaya people: 22 Jan 2007

Mr. Joseph Alexander Hardwick, aged 65, an American tourist, came into Pattaya Police Station on 22nd January at 2 am to inform that he was injured in the head from an attack.

Mr. Hardwick’s stated that earlier, he was shopping at stands in Walking Street. When he was browsing a particular knife that he was interested on, he accidentally broke the chain that hangs from the knife, and the vendor told him that he must be responsible for it.

Since the item was very expensive, he refused to pay for it, which made the vendor extremely upset and he pulled out a knuckle duster and hit the American in the face.

When the police heard this, the vendor was asked to come to the police station straight away for questioning.

The vendor, Mr. Khachaphisit, aged 30, confessed to the police that he was angry when this foreigner broke his item for sale, since it was very expensive and the man refused to be responsible for it. He admitted that he couldn’t control his temper and so hit the man.

The police recorded all statements as evidence and it turned out that Mr. Khachaphisit will have to pay for Mr. Hardwick’s medical expenses.

Edited by scottie dog

the "Land Of Smiles" that has to be the joke of the decade.

I expected more smiles when I first came to Thailand. When I mention this, most members think it's me and my own attitude at fault. It would seem that I'm not the only one noticing it.

tropo are you saying that you have also noticed that your attitude is at fault and you are not the only one to have noticed it??

tropo are you saying that you have also noticed that your attitude is at fault and you are not the only one to have noticed it??

It didn't take long for the dimwitted amongst you to rise to the occasion and provide the anticipated reply.

Ah yes I saw this on Sophon last night. He doesn't look 65.

He does so look 65. His hair is dyed. Probably you'll all be dyeing yours now.

I agree Tammi. He looks every bit of 65. His dyed hair had Robski, as expected, completely fooled.

Ah yes I saw this on Sophon last night. He doesn't look 65.

He does so look 65. His hair is dyed. Probably you'll all be dyeing yours now.

At age 70 my mum had not a grey hair on her head - she was also organising tours from the Home Counties all over Europe for WI and MU groups, acting as tour guide as well.

Now she's turned 97 and waiting for a telegram from the Queen.

I am turned 70, what hair I have left is more dark than grey, I still work full time, play rugby when I can, although it is mainly 'touch' out in my work area,

I'll let my hair fall out naturally, don't believe in dying it. In fact I try not to think about 'dying' at all.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

....shopping at stands in Walking Street. When he was browsing a particular knife that he was interested on, he accidentally broke the chain that hangs from the knife....

Since the item was very expensive, he refused to pay for it, which made the vendor extremely upset and he pulled out a knuckle duster and hit the American in the face.

I offer the following thoughts.

Pattaya is marketed as a safe friendly family resort with pictures of smiling people everywhere enjoying the sun, sea, sand or city. Or a holiday (?) retreat for those with money to spend enjoying the other attractions availible indoors by the hour/day etc.

Apart from some deep S&M play or maybe wholesale supplies for a circus knife throwing act, I can't really think of the need for so many shops selling knives, swords and crossbows. Any ideas?

I know they are "interesting" stalls, I'm sure most of us have stopped to look at least, but does anyone else wonder just what situation in Pattaya you need a special five pointed throwing star? (No need to reply time share sales.)

The quality of the steel is poor can not hold a good working edge, some people are collectors and simply like decorative knives, but in a place where there is known to be drink related "problems" does the tools of escalation need to be on open sale?

Sex toys are banned from open sale, cigarettes can not be openly displayed and in some places you can't get a beer with your 2pm lunch, however if you want a flick-knife at 2am I know just the place where they are availible in different colors and sizes!

Does Pattaya really need this type of shop?

Does Pattaya really need this type of shopper?

One has to believe that the Thai man had good reason to thump him, and...

Why does one have to believe this?

There is no "reason" to use knuckle dusters on anyone let alone a 65 year old gent.

I'd like to see your body language after you'd been smashed in the head with a knuckly duster.

Edited by tropo

Does Pattaya really need this type of shop?

Does Pattaya really need this type of shopper?

The way things are going, tourists may need to purchase these type of items to help protect themselves.

You can just imagine the tour guide saying to the tourists upon first arrival in Pattaya: "Make sure you stop off at the special weapons stall to purchase a knife or two if you're planning to take a stroll on the beach.", "may I recommed the five pointed throwing star or a sturdy switch-blade".

I'd love to see the item he's supposed to have broken, a knife with a chain ? if he broke the chain while looking at it I would suspect either it was already broken or of very poor quality and fell apart, I'm sure 2 mins with a pair of pliers would have had it like new again

I think that Pattaya has become swamped with market sellers, baht buses, motorbike taxi etc etc all looking for a cut of the action and they simply aren't getting it, this then creates decent and a lot of frustrated unhappy Thais, there is an imbalance in this city and it is creating tension and discontent, this all leads to violence and crime.

I'd love to see the item he's supposed to have broken, a knife with a chain ? if he broke the chain while looking at it I would suspect either it was already broken or of very poor quality and fell apart, I'm sure 2 mins with a pair of pliers would have had it like new again

I think that Pattaya has become swamped with market sellers, baht buses, motorbike taxi etc etc all looking for a cut of the action and they simply aren't getting it, this then creates decent and a lot of frustrated unhappy Thais, there is an imbalance in this city and it is creating tension and discontent, this all leads to violence and crime.

Reference my previous post. I believe that a basic point is being missed. What was broken? Was it an expensive piece of chain attached to the expensive item or just the cheap security chain “holding” the item down. I believe it makes a big difference to the reaction of both parties!