Non-Immigrant O extension possible?

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I was asked about that yesterday and couldn't answer 100%. The only thing I said was I knew or was fairly sure it applied only to a person married to a Thai.

As said before you have to be married to a Thai or be the parent of a Thai to apply for the 60 day extension.

It can be applied for with a visa exempt entry or any type of visa entry or an extension of stay issued for any reason.

• Thanks 1

One more question: presumably, an extension is separate from the visa? So the extension based on marriage or child is independent of the Non-Imm O visa? For instance, one could enter Thailand on a Non-Imm O based on Retirement - but apply for an extension based on child?

*Answered

Edited by Forethat
Noticed now that the always brilliant ubonjoe answered the question before I wrote it...

4 hours ago, Forethat said:

One more question: presumably, an extension is separate from the visa? So the extension based on marriage or child is independent of the Non-Imm O visa? For instance, one could enter Thailand on a Non-Imm O based on Retirement - but apply for an extension based on child?

*Answered

Yes. An extension is linked to the visa, but the reason the visa was issued and the reason the extension is granted can be different.

10 hours ago, Forethat said:

*Answered

Yes, in your case the Non Imm O Visa allowed a single entry into Thailand. At that point the Visa became 'used'.

The Immigration officer gave you permission to stay for 90 days from that Visa entry.

It is the 90 day permission to stay you extend for 60 days, not the Visa.

If you wanted to exit and re-enter during your permission to stay you must purchase a re-entry permit.