BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aforek

External battery pack for GPS

Hello, I have a Garmin 57 gps and very satisfied about it; it's made to be used with a car, but I use it to ride with my scooter, but after about 1h30 mn, battery is empty; I want to use an external battery pack to connect with my gps

I have this one https://www.amazon.fr/Xtream-Wearther-Batterie-Easy-Power/dp/B001J6FYGO 

http://www.soeasyrider.fr/batteries-externes/so-easy-power/?sl=en

they say it lasts 15 hours

but when I connect it to the gps , it doesn't work, battery still works with the gps ; do I make something wrong or is it a bad external pack ?

do you know an other pack or do you have an other alternative ?

Thanks  I have also an old Garmin, it works too, but after one hour, finished :sad:

I tried to find a manual for that battery but can't find anything on the web.

Perhaps the seller on Amazon sent you a defective product.

It should work check the powerpack (because that is what it is) with a phone to see if it charges your phone. If it does then you know for sure that the powerpack (battery) works.

Then we can go on looking at the problems.

Xtream Wearther Batterie

sortie: DC 5.5V- 700mA maxi

Garmin nüvi 57/58/67/68

Power input (vehicle or external power)  |  from 8 to 28 vdc

OK, that doesn't make any sense beyond having the ability to charge, very slowly.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

It should work check the powerpack (because that is what it is) with a phone to see if it charges your phone. If it does then you know for sure that the powerpack (battery) works.

Then we can go on looking at the problems.

It works with the phone, and with my old Gps, it says " incompatible ", it  means it's not broken 

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

Xtream Wearther Batterie

sortie: DC 5.5V- 700mA maxi

Garmin nüvi 57/58/67/68

Power input (vehicle or external power)  |  from 8 to 28 vdc

OK, that doesn't make any sense beyond having the ability to charge, very slowly.

Back home ( not riding the bike ) it works, but this morning , didn't work  ( the gps said " battery feeble ") ; now it doesn't say anything because it's working with the xtream wearther batterie, but I don't know next time what happens ; it seems the contact is difficult between the two items ; what do you mean by " very slowly ", I don't understand what you said above

thanks 

11 minutes ago, Aforek said:

It works with the phone, and with my old Gps, it says " incompatible ", it  means it's not broken 

Back home ( not riding the bike ) it works, but this morning , didn't work  ( the gps said " battery feeble ") ; now it doesn't say anything because it's working with the xtream wearther batterie, but I don't know next time what happens ; it seems the contact is difficult between the two items ; what do you mean by " very slowly ", I don't understand what you said above

thanks 

What he means is that the GPS is using a minimum of 8 V current while the batterie you got only delivers 5,5 V of current. That would mean that it can't really help the GPS that much because its below the required voltage by the GPS. You need something that gives off a higher voltage. 

Well spotted RichCor

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You need something that gives off a higher voltage.

Even though I found that specification in the Garmin manual, it doesn't make sense.

The Garmin GPS has a standard USB port for charging/power/data.

The Garmin Car Adapter has a standard USB Port and says it delivers 4.75-5.25vdc -- and it's supposed to power the device while being used while driving. But the manual doesn't talk about this (to say it works or doesn't work this way). Very strange.

Now, it works, and before, months ago, I have noticed the same thing ; it works when the GPS battery is completely empty

as long as there is the gps message " low battery " ( sorry, in my gps , the message is " batterie faible " so I translated "battery feeble") , the adapter doesn't work, the gps lights a few seconds and stops, totally useless

what to do, when there is the message , is completely empty the gps battery, but I don't know how to do it, because otherwise it can last several long minutes or hours and in this case, the gps is useless; of course, when riding, I can't wait that the gps accepts to work :smile:

If you have a 12v car adapter or the house 120/240v house power adapter and the Garmin works fine at any internal battery level with those, then you're probably running into the normal 3rd-party adapter issue. In some of the Garmin user posts I've run across on the 'net, they've all discussed an issue with using non-Garmin 3rd-party or 'regular phone' USB power adapters giving various issues because:

The normal USB adapter doesn't supply the higher amperage the device needs to both charge and operate at the same time. Try an adapter or power pack that's made to work with iPad/iPhone.

The USB cable or port made the Garmin think it is hooked up to a computer in USB Data mode. Try the quick plug/unplug/plug trick to see if it fools the Garmin into working anyway. 

On 2/26/2018 at 4:15 PM, RichCor said:

If you have a 12v car adapter or the house 120/240v house power adapter and the Garmin works fine at any internal battery level with those, then you're probably running into the normal 3rd-party adapter issue. In some of the Garmin user posts I've run across on the 'net, they've all discussed an issue with using non-Garmin 3rd-party or 'regular phone' USB power adapters giving various issues because:

The normal USB adapter doesn't supply the higher amperage the device needs to both charge and operate at the same time. Try an adapter or power pack that's made to work with iPad/iPhone.

The USB cable or port made the Garmin think it is hooked up to a computer in USB Data mode. Try the quick plug/unplug/plug trick to see if it fools the Garmin into working anyway. 

That would be my bet.  Normal phone battery packs are limited to 1 or 2.1 amps and if the Garmin chews through a battery in 1.5 hours, it's probably pulling quite a bit more amperage while operating than the typical battery pack can put out.

I have really gotten a lot of use out of a few USB charging meters like these to see what's really going on:

https://www.lazada.co.th/usb-voltage-amp-time-count-mah-usb-90063857.html

Hundreds of brands available, at various prices.  I have tried out about 5 different models and they all work okay.