New laws provide greater protection for people who rent property in Thailand

webfact

Sad to hear this. But on the other hand as expected. People don't give a s... about laws because there are no consequences.

Btw, can one complain anonymously at the Consumer protection board?

Some people cheat, some do not. Plenty of law abiding landlords as has been noted earlier in the thread.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, CLW said:

Sad to hear this. But on the other hand as expected. People don't give a s... about laws because there are no consequences.

Did u ask them how many condos they own?? if its 4 they dont have to follow  the new  rules, 5 and  up should conform to them.

10 hours ago, thequietman said:

Contacted 2 landlords today for sons Uni acommodation. All the above new laws all ignored. Just more bluster and bullsh@t by this government. People continue to ignore the law.

New laws need some time here.....couple of years maybe when we get a front page news story involving some "up there":closedeyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Our Landlady took 2 months rent as a deposit and 3000 baht to cover electricity - the agreement also stipulates if we move out after 1 month the rent is 22000 pm, after 3 months 18000 pm after 6 months 15000 pm after 10 months 13000 pm - the normal rent is 11000 PM - the contract also states that when we move out we have to pay 1500 for cleaning. 

I asked if she would be changing the contract and she said she would re-contract with one months rent and one month to cover furniture. 

On 2/5/2018 at 11:30 PM, CLW said:

Yes, but either way your likely to not get a response as I've never received back responses via email communicay. You would need to visit the office and show your face to show you are fair dinkum about your complaint. 

Yes, but either way your likely to not get a response as I've never received back responses via email communicay. You would need to visit the office and show your face to show you are fair dinkum about your complaint. 

What if he wore a Spider-Man mask?

• 5 months later...

So many replies and NOT A SINGLE PERSON has answered HOW a tenant can confirm whether a landlord is bound by the terms, ie. rents 5 units or more! 

If a tenant wants to make sure while reviewing lease terms, so that he and the landlord are on the same page, there is NO WAY to know if the landlord is bound. 

I understand that the law is implied for duty bound landlords, but how will the tenant know before taking the landlord to court?! 

IDIOTIC 

@blackcab if you are around, do know the answer to this? Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I understand that the law is implied for duty bound landlords, but how will the tenant know before taking the landlord to court?!

If the tenant is living in a Thai-style apartment building the answer is clear. If the tenant is living in a condo, there is no practical way of knowing.

That being said, unless you are renting on Wireless Road, it would cost you more than the sum of money you are disputing to take your landlord to Court. It would also take years to get a resolution. In the meantime, if your landlord were to file a complaint that you damaged furniture, or something of that nature, you could be prohibited from leaving the country until the case was concluded, which would take 1 or 2 years as a minimum.

46 minutes ago, blackcab said:

If the tenant is living in a Thai-style apartment building the answer is clear. If the tenant is living in a condo, there is no practical way of knowing.

That being said, unless you are renting on Wireless Road, it would cost you more than the sum of money you are disputing to take your landlord to Court. It would also take years to get a resolution. In the meantime, if your landlord were to file a complaint that you damaged furniture, or something of that nature, you could be prohibited from leaving the country until the case was concluded, which would take 1 or 2 years as a minimum.

Thank you very much. So, a somewhat useless law in a practicality sense. 

• 3 months later...

Is this valid even if we have a contract?

Yeah, but how can I know that the ownerhas more condo or not?

btw if a big company like a Mall started to build a mall nextto the condo and it is super noisy, can I teminate the contract somehow because of that?

Is this valid even if we have a contract?
Yeah, but how can I know that the ownerhas more condo or not?

btw if a big company like a Mall started to build a mall nextto the condo and it is super noisy, can I teminate the contract somehow because of that?

Yes

Can you please show me something? Or can I read something?

No, I can’t show you anything

Yes, you can read anything you like

If the property becomes uninhabitable for any reason, any the landlord refuses to rectify the situation in a reasonable period of time, you are within your rights to break the contract. That said, you will likely have to go to court to get your deposit.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:02 PM, webfact said:

The new laws only apply to landlords who own five or more properties.

welcome loophole for landlords, going to be a bunch of landlords with exactly 4, the ones with current excess with just sell them for a baht to a shell corp they own, friends,relatives,etc

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

welcome loophole for landlords, going to be a bunch of landlords with exactly 4, the ones with current excess with just sell them for a baht to a shell corp they own, friends,relatives,etc

This story is a year old now and nothing was enforced, per usual. 

Yes means even they are not the owner, just the real estate company who advertise it?

Yes there is someone who knows.

Assuming the rental company does not properties, they are not bound by the law. That said, if they represent a landlord that owns 5 or more units, the units are bound by the law.

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:32 AM, YetAnother said:

What if a landlord have a condo /apartment building with 5-50 condo`s and at least 5+ is rented out long term and the rest are rented as hotel day by day?

• 6 months later...

Archived