BANGKOK
webfact

New laws provide greater protection for people who rent property in Thailand

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"Additionally, a tenant now has the right to terminate their contract at any time, providing they give 30 days written notice to the landlord."

So what's the point of having a contract at all for more than 30 days?

I agree...No point at all, 30 day contracts from now on lol what a load of crap.

Owning 5 properties for this law to operate ? What type of Thai stupidity is that. LOL

Waste of time 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

Not very thoughtful.
Yet another one "brilliant idea" that completely misses the point... 

stupidity you must own 5 properties to follow the law. if not you can still rob lol

• Like 1

And the landlord can give you 30 day notice and return SD?

Sure, but last month is free

This is fantastic news!  A Norwegian buddy has been paying between 3000-5000 baht/month for electricity only in a teeny tiny 1 bedroom 'micro' rental house, for a couple of years.  He also pays 400-500 baht/month for water.  He mostly lives alone so he's barely using any electricity or water.  When he complained to the Thai landlord shortly after moving in, she simply said, "If you don't like it, move out."  This past week PEA has been installing individual new electric meters at all of the houses in that rental complex.  Now I know why.  It will be interesting to see if the <expletive deleted> b1tch raises his, and the other tenants', rent (which wasn't cheap to begin with).       

• Like 2

Personally, I think 2 month's security deposit is reasonable for a furnished apartment, especially a high-end one. But two months is unreasonable for an unfurnished place.

It does look to me like owners will be forced to charge the per-month rate regardless of lease term and stop giving discounts to people who rent for a year. That's unfortunate.

But I see a way around the law - simply create a company to hold 4 properties. Then create another company to hold 4 more... etc. It should be possible to tangle and obfuscate ownership to the point where the renter has no effective chance to prove that the new law should be followed.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I think the 30 day's notice is reasonable, assuming the tenant forfeits the security deposit. 

I believe it's stating 30days notice and the landlord needs to return the deposit.

With the turnover of non paying thai tenants near me, I think the problem is with people wanting something for free that they can walk away from. Had three landlords since being here, all ok, fixed the roof when tiles off, all repairs done in a week, hell, they even changed the light bulbs for us.

Nothing to get excited about easy to get around so no real change.

The 5 properties requirement nullifies most situations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I think the 30 day's notice is reasonable, assuming the tenant forfeits the security deposit. 

Although I'm neither a lessor or lessee in Thailand, I agree that this would be reasonable.  I'm not sure if this new law is clear on that point, however.

Additionally, a tenant now has the right to terminate their contract at any time, providing they give 30 days written notice to the landlord.

Doesn’t seem fair to the landlord. I could see some “Cheap Charlie” that has no intention of a long-term stay, sign a one year contract to get a cheaper monthly rate, then just bailing out after two months (giving notice after first 30 days). The landlord should have the right to higher monthly rents on the shorter term stays.

• Like 1