กล้วยทอด

tgeezer

A few weeks ago when a ball came close to one of our caddies she exclaimed “กล้วยทอด!” Yesterday I heard another caddy use it.  I have used it a few times and it seems acceptable.   I would be interested to know that if anyone has encountered it, has it or could it become widespread.  

Jolly good, thanks digbeth. I googled and see that “Oh my banana!” is the English!  I am pleased with that. 

ถั่วต้ม meaning ‘affirmative’ is not so easy because I have never heard it used.

The definition of ‘boil’ after the noun ‘boiled’ is ล่อลวงให้หลงชื่อเพื่อเอาทราพย์สินสิ่งของ Use deception in order to obtain property. (?) which doesn’t point to “affirmative” in ‘boiled beans’ to me but in the context of this thread one might say, why not? 

I'm afraid it's not from พระเจ้าช่วย กล้วยทอด . Considering this exclamation phrase is normally used by media or urban young generation as a hip/cool speaking which most caddies probably are not . Most of exclamation comes from subconscious, something hidden in your mind . Seems nobody cry that long composition phrase out without thinking before in their head.

Again I'm afraid you heard something more common for aged or rural thai women says which has similar sound but not the same and considered as impolite words since it involved sexuality or one's sex organ  "Khuay - Thauk". When they speak fast ,you may have mishearing.

It becomes very complicated when trying to figure out what people actually say but sometimes easier to know what they mean. Is it not possible that วาว thought better of uttering ควยถอก  and instead chose to say กล้วยทอด?  After all “Ow! uncircumcised” is rather close to the knuckle and although we are a tolerant group one, of our group is the wife of a dentist, it could cause offence.  

It is common in English for women to say “Oh sugar” to avoid swearing, perhaps I am ascribing similar sensibility to วาว . 

I shall ask tomorrow and return with the answer.   

First Prize to Sweet memory 80s. I enquired of a few people and วาว meant ควยถอก . I am so naive! Only said by women so I asked for the equivalent for a man. People had trouble with that all they could suggest was เย็ดแม่ which I could interpret two ways; men are never ตกใจ or if they are they don’t show it by swearing.

On 01/03/2018 at 5:53 PM, digbeth said:

Some Thais seem to have some sort of cultural tourette's where when they are startled, would let out long list, really vulgar expletives 

I don’t know it this is significant but yesterday, I discussed the possibility of a Thai using a euphemism for a swearword saying “Oh sugar!” instead of “Oh shit!” The reaction was one of interest but didn’t indicate that Thai speakers would do it, certainly it could not be said to apply to the case of saying กล้วทอด Instead of ควยถอก . 

That asks a seemingly simple question, why say พระเจ้าช่วยกล้วยทอด ? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 8:21 AM, tgeezer said:

That asks a seemingly simple question, why say พระเจ้าช่วยกล้วยทอด ? 

asking 'buddha' or 'god' for help in a situation that is simple is sort of like using God's name in vain... perhaps the idiom is used to describe people of that personality who would ask God for help in things easily done themselves.  There is a book of Thai idioms complete with illustrations that is taught to Thai children.  I have a copy that provides contextual explanations of the idioms, might be in there.

Surfdog, that is very insightful, maybe acceptable to some people. 

พระเจ้าช่วย is used alone too. One opinion of why กล้วยทอด is added is because of the rhyme, ช่วยกล้วย, and humorous because it is meaningless. 

• 6 months later...

Update. Today after hearing กล้วยทอด I tried ควยถอก which started a few caddies off, เรจจีพูดควยถอก etc. So while waiting to tee off on the next hole I asked directly เมื่อคุณร้องว่ากล้ยวทอด คุณหมายความว่า ควยถอก ใช่ไหมครับ and the answer was ใช่ค่ะ with much sniggering.
So it appears that I was right all along. I also confirmed that a man wouldn’t say it unless he were gay which they also found amusing.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived