Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

58 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

Believing in democracy doesn't mean we have to believe in it blindly, what if the referendum was around the age of consent being lowered to 8 years old, would we still be demanding the will of the people respected?

If Brexit doesn't happen, the forthcoming Islamic EU will deal with that issue.

(Under Islamic Law there is no age of consent, because nobody has any right to consent, you're either married and can have sex, or single and you can't have sex)

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

No we have stopped voting because the Ballot Boxes are now closed

And the winner has been declared 

Just to make sure you're not making stuff up!

Can you cite the parliamentary referendum laws/rule which says there can only be one referendum per issue, and that single referendum result is legally binding?

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Stop asking for answers that have already been explained, Grouse.

He's just trying to wind people up, to provoke a reaction.

There is an "internet term" for the practice - I forget what it is called at the moment!

:smile:

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If Brexit doesn't happen, the forthcoming Islamic EU will deal with that issue.

(Under Islamic Law there is no age of consent, because nobody has any right to consent, you're either married and can have sex, or single and you can't have sex)

You should discuss pogonophobia with your doctor.

1 hour ago, Timbob said:

I don't see it that way. He respects the result. He is after all a euro-skeptic. Not all leave voters want to stop trading with Europe and a customs union is vital. Of course, the way the right-wing media portray his speech will have some influence, but there always smearing him so what's new.

I don't think that anyone wants to stop trading with Europe but this just looks like a new cake-eating contest. It seems that Corbyn has just ignored all of the cherry-picking barriers that Barnrrier & Co. have have erected and that are still there.   

9 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

As a referendum, it was never well planned or well thought out. Final count was 49-51 or similar?

That's just too close to call, ie the losing 49%, from whatever side will feel aggrieved. And that's a helluva lot of the population.

Should have made a 2/3rds majority rule or something prior to calling it, i don't know.

What i do know is the vast majority of younger people voted Remain, whilst the vast majority of older people inc pensioners etc voted Leave. But they'll all be dead in 10-20 years, leaving the Remainers to sort out their mess. 

And it is a mess.

Me personally, i'm sitting on the fence, didn't vote, and i see negatives and positives on both sides of the argument.

51% - 49% is close yes but too close to call you say really 

As regards 2 thirds majority, Hallulajah for hindsight

As for your claim of sitting on the fence a bit of a stretch that statement

9 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

As a referendum, it was never well planned or well thought out. Final count was 49-51 or similar?

That's just too close to call, ie the losing 49%, from whatever side will feel aggrieved. And that's a helluva lot of the population.

Should have made a 2/3rds majority rule or something prior to calling it, i don't know.

I would quite happily agree with those rules as long as it applies equally to all votes.

No candidate elected with less than 2/3 of the vote, no government formed, no PM without 2/3 of the party vote, no policy enacted without 2/3 of the parliamentary vote ........ etc.

And is that 2/3 of the votes cast, or 2/3 of the possible vote from everyone?

27 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

Just to make sure you're not making stuff up!

Can you cite the parliamentary referendum laws/rule which says there can only be one referendum per issue, and that single referendum result is legally binding?

I stand by what I said as I know from bitter experience as I tried to cast my vote yesterday and it met with a firm refusal

OK I made that bit up

I know nothing of my Parliaments Laws / Rules apart from the ones I got caught ignoring, not to mention the odd local Bye-law  

As for the future I seem to have missed placed the tea leaves 

Somewhere on Thaivisa I am on record as saying something along the lines of Who Knows What Might Happen In The Future as regards another referendum

I hope you and yours can draw some consolation from that

Anyway,  the EU are putting down their draft of the Treaty and presenting it to May and her boys.  Then the Brexit gang are invited to come back with their position.  Hopefully then the picture will be a little clearer if the government have the guts to tell us the truth instead of all the smoke and mirrors

1 hour ago, Air Smiles said:

Oh well, I can put a coherent argument together complete with paragraphs and other punctuation whilst you are struggling to add a space in a two word sentence which says nothing.

Coherent? :cheesy:

Don't flatter yourself. It says you are rewriting the same old lines. A proof-read essay wouldn't necessarily make the argument of it valid. 

10 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I would quite happily agree with those rules as long as it applies equally to all votes.

No candidate elected with less than 2/3 of the vote, no government formed, no PM without 2/3 of the party vote, no policy enacted without 2/3 of the parliamentary vote ........ etc.

And is that 2/3 of the votes cast, or 2/3 of the possible vote from everyone?

The British way is the only way its stood the test of time

First past the post winner takes all

Recounts now and again can be lived with

12 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Maybe there's a housing shortage because the builders aren't building, instead, they're not releasing land from their land banks in order to maintain high prices and profit margins.

And maybe there's a shortage because NIMBY's won't allow planning permission on the green belt.

And maybe there's a housing shortage because landowners aren't releasing land and government isn't making them sell.

Really, immigrants in the UK have absolutely zero to do with this subject other than your personal racist agenda.

I”m now living in an area of the U.K that has certainly seen a large influx of E.U.

immigrants. And I can 100% assure you that it is effecting the housing market and the schools. In fact after 3 months back in the U.K my youngest British son is still without a school place. My wife is simple amazed that the U.K gives priority to foreigners overs it’s own citizens. Can you imagine that happening in Thailand.

I would add that I do not blame these immigrants,they’re just trying to obtain a better life. However I do think that we should 

give priority to our people. Especially when they have contribute to the British economy.

2 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I”m now living in an area of the U.K that has certainly seen a large influx of E.U.

immigrants. And I can 100% assure you that it is effecting the housing market and the schools. In fact after 3 months back in the U.K my youngest British son is still without a school place. My wife is simple amazed that the U.K gives priority to foreigners overs it’s own citizens. Can you imagine that happening in Thailand..

Not where I live, everyone is treated equally.  My wife is impressed.

2 minutes ago, nontabury said:

immigrants. And I can 100% assure you that it is effecting the housing market and the schools. In fact after 3 months back in the U.K my youngest British son is still without a school place. My wife is simple amazed that the U.K gives priority to foreigners overs it’s own citizens. Can you imagine that happening in Thailand..

Is Thailand now the benchmark against which we should measure ourselves as a people?

I was under the impression that local authorities were legally obliged to provide schooling to children in their area - is that no longer the case?

24 minutes ago, nontabury said:

immigrants. And I can 100% assure you that it is effecting the housing market and the schools. In fact after 3 months back in the U.K my youngest British son is still without a school place. My wife is simple amazed that the U.K gives priority to foreigners overs it’s own citizens. Can you imagine that happening in Thailand.

I would add that I do not blame these immigrants,they’re just trying to obtain a better life. However I do think that we should 

give priority to our people. Especially when they have contribute to the British economy.

If I recall correctly, you have lived in Thailand for the past 20 years. I assume that you were non-resident in the UK for tax purposes for that period? If so, do you believe that you have an innate, immediate right to Local Authority services over those who have lived in the area, contributed to its development and paid taxes all the while you were away, if they are not originally from the UK?

11 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I'm not sure it's racist, but your comment says to me that those who are homeless could afford a home if there was one available. I'm not sure that's the case. Besides, most immigrants don't suddenly turn up and automatically get 'given' a property to live in, thus denying others. That is somewhat of a myth. Just saying.

Wrong, I returned to live in the .U.K. last month, Applied at the local housing association in the hope of being allocated a house. I was told that I should have made arrangements before returning to my country of birth, with my British children. The official then ignored me, and started looking for a house for a single mother from, I think Poland.

I would add that I have paid British tax since leaving school, including those years, while Iiving  in Thailand. So apart from being a British National and being a nett contributors, I considered that I am being treated as a Secound  class citizen.

So a myth NO.

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Why is that funny oldlokey?

enlighten me

He seems to think every post that was written by some posters is funny, regardless of the subject matter. I understand it's a peculiar affliction that affects seven in every ten Brexiteers and can only be cured by taking away their copies of the Express and Sun for weeks at a time.

Wrong, I returned to live in the .U.K. last month, Applied at the local housing association in the hope of being allocated a house. I was told that I should have made arrangements before returning to my country of birth, with my British children. The official then ignored me, and started looking for a house for a single mother from, I think Poland.

I would add that I have paid British tax since leaving school, including those years, while Iiving  in Thailand. So apart from being a British National and being a nett contributors, I considered that I am being treated as a Secound  class citizen.

So a myth NO.

Why would you be allocated a house? But your kids have to be schooled - by law.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

So a myth NO.

If you are unwilling to explain further, I can accept that but I made a suggestion about your tax situation that might not be correct - did you voluntarliy pay income tax that you were not actually obliged to pay, did you fall foul of the 90 day rule, or are you referring to tax paid on investments held in the UK?

Archived