Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Wrong, I returned to live in the .U.K. last month, Applied at the local housing association in the hope of being allocated a house. I was told that I should have made arrangements before returning to my country of birth, with my British children. The official then ignored me, and started looking for a house for a single mother from, I think Poland.

I would add that I have paid British tax since leaving school, including those years, while Iiving  in Thailand. So apart from being a British National and being a nett contributors, I considered that I am being treated as a Secound  class citizen.

So a myth NO.

Why do you think you deserve priority to be given a house to live in when you haven't lived in the country for 20 years, even if you have paid some tax on something during that time.

15 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Why is that funny oldlokey?

enlighten me

Well it is funny in a drole sort of way isn't it.

The EU has given you and your greater family handsome benefits yet you preferred to live with the benefits of Thailand.

11 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

As a referendum, it was never well planned or well thought out. Final count was 49-51 or similar?

That's just too close to call, ie the losing 49%, from whatever side will feel aggrieved. And that's a helluva lot of the population.

Should have made a 2/3rds majority rule or something prior to calling it, i don't know.

What i do know is the vast majority of younger people voted Remain, whilst the vast majority of older people inc pensioners etc voted Leave. But they'll all be dead in 10-20 years, leaving the Remainers to sort out their mess. 

And it is a mess.

Me personally, i'm sitting on the fence, didn't vote, and i see negatives and positives on both sides of the argument.

Your brilliant, you actually know for certain that the Vast majority of younger people voted remain, while most older people voted Brexit. I think you need to come to the North of England to realise that’s B.S

As for many of those older people dying in 10-20 yrs, how do you know that those Younger people who,voted Remain, will not, with more experience vote to leave.

As I’ve seen many articles over the years, showing that  folk vote wishy washy left wing in the early years, then tend to become more conservative ( small c )as they gain life experience. 

11 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Wrong, I returned to live in the .U.K. last month, Applied at the local housing association in the hope of being allocated a house. I was told that I should have made arrangements before returning to my country of birth, with my British children. The official then ignored me, and started looking for a house for a single mother from, I think Poland.

I would add that I have paid British tax since leaving school, including those years, while Iiving  in Thailand. So apart from being a British National and being a nett contributors, I considered that I am being treated as a Secound  class citizen.

So a myth NO.

That sounds wrong but if true then off to your MP for you!  Your post sounds as if you have arrived back in the UK homeless with no job and no money, which I am sure isn't true.  Or you could be retired I suppose.  Anyway you are entitled to housing benefit if you have no money so you do not need to be "allocated" housing.  You can go to a private landlord.  You are also entitled to job seekers allowance or a state pension if you are over 65.  If you can't work these things out for yourself then go to citizens advice.  You are also entitled to child benefit and by law your children will be found a place in a school.  None of this is difficult, even with a chip on your shoulder!

6 minutes ago, nontabury said:

As I’ve seen many articles over the years, showing that  folk vote wishy washy left wing in the early years, then tend to become more conservative ( small c )as they gain life experience. 

That is true but Brexit is nothing to do with left or right wing.  Where I live it is overwhelmingly right wing Tories and overwhelmingly remain voters.  You must get over this left, right thing.  It is irrelevant.  In the North of England it is traditionally Labour supporting and therefore by definition left wing. Yet the heartland of Brexiteers  Do you see how ridiculous that makes the argument about left and right.

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

I don't mind when you guys are seeking Asylum in Germoney. I might be back then and give you your food stamps. 

You might want to check the destination on your ticket

Then again maybe you are smarter than you appear as in GerMONEY

6 hours ago, JAG said:

Whilst I don't subscribe to the "Johnny Foreigner" rhetoric, you make a good point which is often (conveniently) overlooked by those who wish that the referendum result had gone the other way. It was the highest turnout, perhaps not ever, but certainly for a very long time. Much higher than the general election that followed (66% or so). There is a definite campaign to ignore it, one at which the Guardian (and cynics may say their broadcasting partners at the BBC) are at the front of. There was a settled choice by the British Electorate to leave. That fate has dealt us a spectacularly bum hand in the shape of this incompetent government (alleviated only by the fact that the alternative is even more dire) is more than unfortunate but does not change that result.

What makes you think that majority, by definition, is correct?

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

What makes you think that majority, by definition, is correct?

The Government used a referendum to ask a simple question - do you (the person casting a vote - any UK citizen over the age of 18 who is not a member of the House of Lords, in prison or insane I believe are the criteria) wish the UK to leave the EU? A majority voted to leave.

That does not make them correct in everyone's eyes, but that does make them the majority (the greater number) of people who could be bothered to vote. The UK is a democracy, therefore the Government, having been emphatically told what the majority wanted, are doing so. A majority is not by definition, in a democracy, correct, but a majority tells it's Government, in a referendum, what it wants to happen. A majority voted to leave.

That the parents committee of the Midsommer Norton Brownies Pack could make a better fist of organising the process than this shambolic Government is true, sad but true.

The Government used a referendum to ask a simple question - do you (the person casting a vote - any UK citizen over the age of 18 who is not a member of the House of Lords, in prison or insane I believe are the criteria) wish the UK to leave the EU? A majority voted to leave.

That does not make them correct in everyone's eyes, but that does make them the majority (the greater number) of people who could be bothered to vote. The UK is a democracy, therefore the Government, having been emphatically told what the majority wanted, are doing so. A majority is not by definition, in a democracy, correct, but a majority tells it's Government, in a referendum, what it wants to happen. A majority voted to leave.

That the parents committee of the Midsommer Norton Brownies Pack could make a better fist of organising the process than this shambolic Government is true, sad but true.

Opinions and votes can change.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Opinions and votes can change.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A decision was made, using an accepted democratic process. That decision should be carried through. In the future it may be suggested that the UK should join the EU. That can be campaigned for, and even voted on.

54 minutes ago, aright said:

Well it is funny in a drole sort of way isn't it.

The EU has given you and your greater family handsome benefits yet you preferred to live with the benefits of Thailand.

Thai woman. You want to debate logic? You think I like it here? NOT one of my better decisions ?

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Thai woman. You want to debate logic? You think I like it here? NOT one of my better decisions ?

I'm not a fan of this particular response, but one has to ask - why don't you leave? After all, if situations change...

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

So a myth NO.

Interesting story,

I think you should have rented a place near a school you liked, then signed up for child benefit, child tax credit, housing benefit.

This would have established your residence and children's entitlement to the local school.

After that you run out of money ........... yeah, it would waste a couple of thousand ........

Archived