Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

36 minutes ago, JAG said:

The Government used a referendum to ask a simple question - do you (the person casting a vote - any UK citizen over the age of 18 who is not a member of the House of Lords, in prison or insane I believe are the criteria) wish the UK to leave the EU? A majority voted to leave.

That does not make them correct in everyone's eyes, but that does make them the majority (the greater number) of people who could be bothered to vote. The UK is a democracy, therefore the Government, having been emphatically told what the majority wanted, are doing so. A majority is not by definition, in a democracy, correct, but a majority tells it's Government, in a referendum, what it wants to happen. A majority voted to leave.

That the parents committee of the Midsommer Norton Brownies Pack could make a better fist of organising the process than this shambolic Government is true, sad but true.

It would have been nice if the consequences of the vote would have been made clear.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the time that the UK finally leaves the EU there will not be a voting-age majority in favour of doing so ... the older brexiteers are dying out, replaced by younger voters who favour staying put.

Will the "will of the people" need to change to the "will of dead people"?

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It would have been nice if the consequences of the vote would have been made clear.

How could anyone have possibly made clear the consequences of something that has never been done before, and something that has almost limitless possible outcomes?

At the end of the day the people voted on gut feelings.  The British simply don't want to be part of a European super state ruled by bureaucrats whom they have no direct power to appoint or kick out.

Despite an incredibly biased, bullying and scaremongering government led remain campaign, the British people still voted to leave. That just shows the strength of feeling there must have been.  The infamous bus slogan was nothing compared to what was coming from Cameron, Osborne and co.

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Is Thailand now the benchmark against which we should measure ourselves as a people?

I was under the impression that local authorities were legally obliged to provide schooling to children in their area - is that no longer the case?

No, the education authority is legally obliged to ensure that all children ARE educated. This gives the right to any parents to home school, and this is what we are attempting to do on a temporary basis, until a place becomes available. As it happens, we were scheduled before the snow came, to go to appeal tomorrow, in the hope that we can force the Education Authority and the local school to enrol our child. As at the moment the schools are full.

Also two weeks ago an official from the education authority visited, just to check we are ( attempting ) to home school.  She did tell me that there is quite a large number of other children in the county in the same predicament.

As regards Thailand, I ‘m positive that if we were to return to 

Thailand tomorrow, we would be able to enroll are children in an International, bilingual,or state school within hours.

That is what I thought would happen at a state school in the U.K. but that turns out to not be the case. They changed the system a few years ago,and now you must apply to the local education authority, stateing your 3 schools by priority, they will then take approximately 2weeks to allocate your child a place,If there is room at one of those schools.

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Wrong, I returned to live in the .U.K. last month, Applied at the local housing association in the hope of being allocated a house. I was told that I should have made arrangements before returning to my country of birth, with my British children. The official then ignored me, and started looking for a house for a single mother from, I think Poland.

I would add that I have paid British tax since leaving school, including those years, while Iiving  in Thailand. So apart from being a British National and being a nett contributors, I considered that I am being treated as a Secound  class citizen.

So a myth NO.

Don't take it so personally. They gave you correct advice and you should have prepared better. You're not the first and certainly not the last former Thailand dreamer who, after a rude awakening, found all their thin-shelled eggs in the Thai basket didn't travel very well.

The bit about the Polish single mother is a bit OTT don't you think?

10 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

By the time that the UK finally leaves the EU there will not be a voting-age majority in favour of doing so ... the older brexiteers are dying out, replaced by younger voters who favour staying put.

Will the "will of the people" need to change to the "will of dead people"?

No, that's silly. But they will be in a position to pressure their MP's to pressure whatever flavour government is seated at the time for their very own unbrexit referendum.

55 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Actually, these last posts are well off topic and should be DELETED. Please.

Goodnight all 

I agree and it's all my fault. My apologies for raising a difficult question. I realise now it's personal and not for lout criticism. Let's get back on topic.

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Wrong, I returned to live in the .U.K. last month, Applied at the local housing association in the hope of being allocated a house. I was told that I should have made arrangements before returning to my country of birth, with my British children. The official then ignored me, and started looking for a house for a single mother from, I think Poland.

I would add that I have paid British tax since leaving school, including those years, while Iiving  in Thailand. So apart from being a British National and being a nett contributors, I considered that I am being treated as a Secound  class citizen.

So a myth NO.

It's because you're an immigrant family coming from outside the EU to live in the UK.

You can thank bnp, edl, ukip etc for the warm reception....

30 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

How could anyone have possibly made clear the consequences of something that has never been done before, and something that has almost limitless possible outcomes?

At the end of the day the people voted on gut feelings.  The British simply don't want to be part of a European super state ruled by bureaucrats whom they have no direct power to appoint or kick out.

Despite an incredibly biased, bullying and scaremongering government led remain campaign, the British people still voted to leave. That just shows the strength of feeling there must have been.  The infamous bus slogan was nothing compared to what was coming from Cameron, Osborne and co.

I don't think your rhetoric is correct, but won't get into that. The grass is always greener on the other side though.

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't think your rhetoric is correct, but won't get into that. The grass is always greener on the other side though.

Yes, there is a bit of that.  And I hope in the case of Brexit the grass actually turns out to be greener.

14 hours ago, Grouse said:

German car makers don't give a stuff. They know UK demographic As and Bs will continue to buy their beautifully engineered and produced vehicles even if they cost 10% more (in reality they will use the duty as an excuse to raise prices further). No, the biggest damage will be to cheap Japanese cars assembled in the U.K. With complex supply chains.

I will continue to guzzle St Agur regardless ?

The tragic irony in all of this is those who are most for Brexit will be those who suffer most. cf. North East England , farmers , the Welsh for instance they will be the first to know what did the EU ever do for them. But of course they will never admit it , it will be immigrants , remoaners  , George Soros and the like. Mai bpen rai as they say over here , never mind , no problem. 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Don't take it so personally. They gave you correct advice and you should have prepared better. You're not the first and certainly not the last former Thailand dreamer who, after a rude awakening, found all their thin-shelled eggs in the Thai basket didn't travel very well.

The bit about the Polish single mother is a bit OTT don't you think?

pretty much in the same vein as Somchai the tuk tuk driver who blames his lack of progress on 'falangs'. It seems that people who don't get on in the world always seem to blame someone else for their troubles. Never anything to do with them.If only this , if only that .... 

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

If you are unwilling to explain further, I can accept that but I made a suggestion about your tax situation that might not be correct - did you voluntarliy pay income tax that you were not actually obliged to pay, did you fall foul of the 90 day rule, or are you referring to tax paid on investments held in the UK?

I paid tax on my investments in the U.K

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Why do you think you deserve priority to be given a house to live in when you haven't lived in the country for 20 years, even if you have paid some tax on something during that time.

I only expect to be prioritiesed over a none British person, especially ones that have never paid money into the U.K. economy. I see nothing wrong with that attitude, we should look after our own people first. I do not blame these immigrants from taking advantage of the system, I blame the fuzzy liberal elite.

Last  week I had a conversation with a Polish couple, very nice people, with two young children, hard working. He’s working as a hairdresser, the wife, who happens to be a university graduate, but is now working as a maid in a large hotel. And they Unlike some of the remoaners on this thread, also think that the present system, regarding what Eastern Europeans can claim is ridiculous. They are now supportive of the Briexit vote and are even more anti the U.K. than myself, so go figure that out.

1D4ED0A9-5B15-4C1A-87AA-0BA35FB9F559.jpeg

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

That sounds wrong but if true then off to your MP for you!  Your post sounds as if you have arrived back in the UK homeless with no job and no money, which I am sure isn't true.  Or you could be retired I suppose.  Anyway you are entitled to housing benefit if you have no money so you do not need to be "allocated" housing.  You can go to a private landlord.  You are also entitled to job seekers allowance or a state pension if you are over 65.  If you can't work these things out for yourself then go to citizens advice.  You are also entitled to child benefit and by law your children will be found a place in a school.  None of this is difficult, even with a chip on your shoulder!

You certainly do need to be allocated housing, allthough obviously it helps the more children you have. Regarding private rented accommodation, this is another problem in this county, there is a shortage, partly due to groups of immigrants, pooling their resources and joining together to rent any available accommodation. This is all helped by a bevy of social workers paid for by the British taxpayers.

And no I don’t have a chip on my shoulder, allthough I am aware of some of the things that are taking place in our country, unlike yourself. like the exceptions to the obtaining of child benifits by again non British  people. As I keep saying, I think we should give priority and look after our own people first.

Lots of homeless people in California.  Orange County, just south of Los Angeles, cleared out 700 homeless along the Santa Ana river bed, along with 250 tons of trash and 5,000 needles. It took a court battle to do it and the homeless have been given vouchers for hotels and motels for 30 days at a cost of 1 or 2 million of taxpayers money.  Jerry Brown, our long overdue for retirement governor, wants to use some of the state tax surplus (about 1.5 billion dollars) to help the homeless instead of spending it on infrastructure projects desperately needed.  California is not exiting the EU and still has a problem.  Don't see how the problem in Britain has anything to do with Brexit. It all comes about when it is easier to get assistance from the government and do nothing, than get out and get a job. 

7 minutes ago, nontabury said:

You certainly do need to be allocated housing, allthough obviously it helps the more children you have. Regarding private rented accommodation, this is another problem in this county, there is a shortage, partly due to groups of immigrants, pooling their resources and joining together to rent any available accommodation. This is all helped by a bevy of social workers paid for by the British taxpayers.

And no I don’t have a chip on my shoulder, allthough I am aware of some of the things that are taking place in our country, unlike yourself. like the exceptions to the obtaining of child benifits by again non British  people. As I keep saying, I think we should give priority and look after our own people first.

It sounds like you haven't made adequate provision for you and your family's future.

Why don't you get a job instead of going to the UK tax payer with your hand out?

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Interesting story,

I think you should have rented a place near a school you liked, then signed up for child benefit, child tax credit, housing benefit.

This would have established your residence and children's entitlement to the local school.

After that you run out of money ........... yeah, it would waste a couple of thousand ........

Some good points there. 

Because of the shortage of rented housing in certain areas. For reasons already mentioned.

Schooling  I’ve Already discussed.

Child benifits, you have to waite 3 months, except for certain exemptions available to non British people. 

Child and housing benifits benefits, not available to everyone,and quite rightly so.

As I’ve have already found out, your children have no entitlement to enroll in a local school, unless that school is under subscribed. 

Like your last suggestion.

2 minutes ago, Trouble said:

Lots of homeless people in California.  Orange County, just south of Los Angeles, cleared out 700 homeless along the Santa Ana river bed, along with 250 tons of trash and 5,000 needles. It took a court battle to do it and the homeless have been given vouchers for hotels and motels for 30 days at a cost of 1 or 2 million of taxpayers money.  Jerry Brown, our long overdue for retirement governor, wants to use some of the state tax surplus (about 1.5 billion dollars) to help the homeless instead of spending it on infrastructure projects desperately needed.  California is not exiting the EU and still has a problem.  Don't see how the problem in Britain has anything to do with Brexit. It all comes about when it is easier to get assistance from the government and do nothing, than get out and get a job. 

Surely helping the homeless should be a priority, no? It seems like you think of them as trash. I'm with Jerry!

3 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

It sounds like you haven't made adequate provision for you and your family's future.

Why don't you get a job instead of going to the UK tax payer with your hand out?

Exactly. I can't stand bigots, particularly those married to foreigners who blame everything on foreigners. Even worse are those who moan about handouts, whilst holding their own hands out. Unbelievable Jeff!

15 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

Unlike, I’m assumeing you, I don’t need to work. Hav’t worked for 20yrs. Never received one penny in benefits from the Government, don’t ever expect to. 

That’s the problem with being a self reliant tax payer.

13 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

@nontabury, I see you marked my post as you being 'confused', let me explain.

A job is something you do in exchange for money, you can then use that money to rent a home and buy food etc for your children.  This means other people( who have jobs ) don't have to give you free money from their wage packets so that you can rent a home and buy food etc for your children.

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Unlike, I’m assumeing you, I don’t need to work. Hav’t worked for 20yrs. Never received one penny in benefits from the Government, don’t ever expect to. 

That’s the problem with being a self reliant tax payer.

If you are financially well off and "self-reliant" then do you need taxpayer subsidised accommodation and other financial help?

2 minutes ago, Air Smiles said:

@nontabury, I see you marked my post as you being 'confused', let me explain.

A job is something you do in exchange for money, you can then use that money to rent a home and buy food etc for your children.  This means other people( who have jobs ) don't have to give you free money from their wage packets so that you can rent a home and buy food etc for your children.

We finally agree on something. Please see my previouse reply.

The government are behaving like naughty children that don't want to complete their chores. Break some dishes when washing up and you won't be asked to do it again.

They are deliberately doing a bad job.

2 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

If you are financially well off and "self-reliant" then do you need taxpayer subsidised accommodation and other financial help?

Where did I state a need for taxpayers subsidized accommodation. Or financial help?

Regarding accommodation, I’m prepared to pay the going rate.

Will be renting private accommodation, by paying 6mths upfront, due to my not being able to provide the last 30yrs credit reference etc. No problem.

except I would like all non British citizens to be treated at least likewise.

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

I only expect to be prioritiesed over a none British person, especially ones that have never paid money into the U.K. economy. I see nothing wrong with that attitude, we should look after our own people first. I do not blame these immigrants from taking advantage of the system, I blame the fuzzy liberal elite.

Last  week I had a conversation with a Polish couple, very nice people, with two young children, hard working. He’s working as a hairdresser, the wife, who happens to be a university graduate, but is now working as a maid in a large hotel. And they Unlike some of the remoaners on this thread, also think that the present system, regarding what Eastern Europeans can claim is ridiculous. They are now supportive of the Briexit vote and are even more anti the U.K. than myself, so go figure that out.

1D4ED0A9-5B15-4C1A-87AA-0BA35FB9F559.jpeg

I'm not sure your model of citizenship is applicable any longer. You seem to think that because you were born in a country a slot in it is reserved for you, that you can come and go as you wish but you can always return to your slot and pick up where you left off before. But whilst you've been away somebody else has come along to fill your slot and they now occupy it because they haven't gone away, they've been working, earning and paying taxes for those twenty past years. So when you come back and say, hi guys, I'm back, I want my slot back and the system says no, now you'll have to wait because you left for twenty years, you're miffed. I think if you look at it from the perspective of the country and the system that's the way it should work, indeed, the way it must work, otherwise, how would it be if half the country decided to go walk about for twenty years, is the country supposed to leave everything on hold until everyone comes back. As things stand you've got a six months apprenticeship to serve to get your full rights back again and that's much better than the many years immigrants have to serve.

Archived