PM Prayut urges all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem

webfact

PM urges all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem

By Thai PBS

Prayut2.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha urged all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem so that Thailand will not be seen as a sex destination by foreign tourists.

While admitting Thailand’s tainted image as being a sex haven has been with us for a long time, he said that there are still many people who make their living serving as sex workers.

Nevertheless, the prime minister suggested that Thai people should not prolong the talk on this issue which would only serve to cast the country in a bad light. Instead, he said authorities responsible for prostitution problem must strictly enforce the law and, at the same time, all parties concerned, especially those in the tourism sector must try to change the image of Pattaya into a destination of quality tourism and not as a sex destination.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-urges-parties-concerned-help-solve-prostitution-problem/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-28

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would dread to think just how much of a gaping hole (no pun intended) shutting down the sex trade would leave.

These foreign mongers, for all their flaws do pump a lot of cash in and this money does go to Thai brass on multiple levels.. Regulate it and actually make it safer for the ladies and gents working in this trade, and make even more cash too, forget so called morals. They certainly don't appear to exist at a government level

13 minutes ago, z42 said:

...forget so called morals.

So called?  What would you call morals?  Is there such a thing? 

To forget one's morals is to contribute to the decadence of society.  More importantly, it is to be willfully ignorant of one's eternal interests--to sacrifice one's hope of eternal existence for a few very short moments of pleasure.  I say it's not worth it.  The eternal prize is worth risking everything for, and giving up everything in the effort, as an olympian does in seeking the gold medal.

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

While admitting Thailand’s tainted image as being a sex haven has been with us for a long time, he said that there are still many people who make their living serving as sex workers.

And that statement right there alludes to the solution.  I think, as unpopular as their efforts have been portrayed, the attempts by the Shinawatras to strengthen the economy among the poorer classes were as much effective toward alleviating the core basis for prostitution as any.  Very few women desire such an ignominious and disagreeable "job."  Providing them better means of supporting themselves and their families would be the most efficient method of elevating the country out of its shame.

29 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

Stop seeing it as a problem and the issue will go away. Most of the population does not see it as a problem.

If you can see it at all, it's a problem. 

For every $1 brought in by the mongers, there are probably $5 that families won't bring in because it's so in-your-face.  They'll go elsewhere.  To be clear, there is no "elsewhere" that doesn't have prostitution.  Just not so in-your-face that you have to explain it to your kids, along with what those big plastic schlongs on sale in front of the hotel are for, and why they can't buy those videos (at eye level on even the main markets) with the naked guys and gals on the front covers doing strange things.

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thai people should not prolong the talk on this issue which would only serve to cast the country in a bad light.

So he opens the subject of prostitution in Thailand thereby drawing attention to it. Then in the same breath declares no Thais can talk about it because they may draw attention to it. I had serious doubts about the rationality of the man but now that irrationality has been confirmed.

39 minutes ago, z42 said:

I would dread to think just how much of a gaping hole (no pun intended) shutting down the sex trade would leave.

These foreign mongers, for all their flaws do pump a lot of cash in and this money does go to Thai brass on multiple levels.. Regulate it and actually make it safer for the ladies and gents working in this trade, and make even more cash too, forget so called morals. They certainly don't appear to exist at a government level

I  think you'll find the Thais pump  more into that hole  than any foreigners  would ever do

7 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

He has made a good start with the drop in tourism (true figures not the fiddly figures we read about ) stop the tourists  and prostitution will drop win win !

no, the vast majority of sex trade is domestic, i.e the punters are mostly thai men.

i think the reason sex trade is so large in thailand vs west is there is little to no stigma around it,

in contrast to west. thais are far too rational and greedy to sit on high horses

and refuse having anything to do with sex trade.

Prostitutions has been with mankind since the biblical times, there's not a country in the world that

doesn't have prostitution in one form or another and here come our esteemed leader and want to

change the world, prostitution has a place in modern society whether we like or not and the PM

will do well to target more realistic and attainable goals....

9 minutes ago, poanoi said:

no, the vast majority of sex trade is domestic, i.e the punters are mostly thai men.

i think the reason sex trade is so large in thailand vs west is there is little to no stigma around it,

in contrast to west. thais are far too rational and greedy to sit on high horses

and refuse having anything to do with sex trade.

'Cause every father dreams of his daughter growing up to service old, fat, and bald men.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

'Cause every father dreams of his daughter growing up to service old, fat, and bald men.

pride causes westerners to think that way,

but pride got nothing to do with it in a thais eyes, its money,

and on a second glance: what good does pride do when push comes to shove

“Some people love expensive goods, but they don’t have the money, so they resorted to the easy means to earn quick money,” says the great Defender of Morality.

When I read his words above, I immediately laughed and thought of Prawit, with his lust for countless watches and other 'expensive goods'. But I somehow don't think he got them by selling his (gorgeous and alluring) body! His 'easy means' to get expensive items is of a different kind ...

The old PM really is pi!@ing into the wind here. 

Most brass have had fewer education options than they probably would have liked. As a result their 'proper' career options are limited to the low wage sector. By contrast prostitution along the lines of what 'sex tourists' come for offers far greater financial rewards, for relatively short working hours. 

So until the government can offer the masses of uneducated girls from rural areas a job that pays 50'000 baht a month or so. He's wasting his time. 300 baht a day or 50'000 a month? 

The poor man cannot even think of an original idea himself. This nonsense was dished up in 2016 by his previous Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul. And she got the sack because she was a failure.

What does that tell you about the PM?

39 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Is this man for real?

He opens his mouth 1 day, there is no prostitution here, next time he speaks, he wants people help solve the problem that  he says does not exist.

Better for him just shut up say nothing.

Problem is his ego wont allow it. He has to be centre stage on everything that goes on in Thailand.

Meanwhile the daily slaughter on the roads means Thailand is number 1 in the World's Deadliest; RTP is riddled with corruption by top officers who see their day job as a sideline whilst making their real money from, in some cases, this very topic; people in his cabinet flaunt their ill-gotten wealth.  Get your priorities right Mr P!

Some might think; why kill the golden goose? Take the girls away from the centers and the pussy chasers would go elsewhere.

The way to go is too pay the girls more to keep their legs closed than to open them up. I favour a voucher system but I doubt than Ch-o-cha could get his head around that. He is after all a soldier who has not mastered any English.

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

So called?  What would you call morals?  Is there such a thing? 

To forget one's morals is to contribute to the decadence of society.  More importantly, it is to be willfully ignorant of one's eternal interests--to sacrifice one's hope of eternal existence for a few very short moments of pleasure.  I say it's not worth it.  The eternal prize is worth risking everything for, and giving up everything in the effort, as an olympian does in seeking the gold medal.

And that statement right there alludes to the solution.  I think, as unpopular as their efforts have been portrayed, the attempts by the Shinawatras to strengthen the economy among the poorer classes were as much effective toward alleviating the core basis for prostitution as any.  Very few women desire such an ignominious and disagreeable "job."  Providing them better means of supporting themselves and their families would be the most efficient method of elevating the country out of its shame.

You are deluded.. there were more prostitutes during the shin reign than now. And sex was sold cheaper by thousands of baht then showing you are clearly mistaken. Methinks you are just a shinfan lost in their repertoire. 

Archived