BANGKOK 18 April 2019 21:59

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

PM Prayut urges all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem

2 hours ago, z42 said:

I would dread to think just how much of a gaping hole (no pun intended) shutting down the sex trade would leave.

These foreign mongers, for all their flaws do pump a lot of cash in and this money does go to Thai brass on multiple levels.. Regulate it and actually make it safer for the ladies and gents working in this trade, and make even more cash too, forget so called morals. They certainly don't appear to exist at a government level

More government regulation? No thank you.

If he would create a social safety net, then some women could stay home and take care of their families. Sadly, prostitution is their only means to provide for their loved ones. So, by imposing Western standards of morality upon the poorest Thais - they do more harm than good.

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

Get rid of the bars, far too many in some places.

If there are too many they close by themselves. My days as a bar goer are long over but I have fond memories.

Just now, Somtamnication said:

LOL. More than 40% of the GDP and he wants to shut it down? Reminds me of a Supertramp song "dreamer, nothing but a dreamer"......

:unsure: ??? Thai prostitution is estimated at about $8 billion, a lot for sure, but it is not 40% of an economy that is $400 billion. :coffee1:

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

He didn't say that at all.

He suggests that talking about solving the problem had gone on long enough and it is time for action.

Having said that, without specifically directing who specifically has to do what specifically, the collective "all parties concerned" will give a collective shrug, look at their feet and wait for this fresh but disproportionate scrutiny to all die down. I mean he could easily assign people and entities to make this their new priority but that may come across as a bit dictatorial... as well as shorting some well-connected revenue streams.

He actually said this. 

"Thai people should not prolong talk on this issue which would only serve to cast the country in a bad light"

He didn't mention anything about action, that was your invented word, not his. In any case Prayut is not an action man......he is only a talking man! Blah, blah, blah.....

3 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

He actually said this. 

"Thai people should not prolong talk on this issue which would only serve to cast the country in a bad light"

He didn't mention anything about action, that was your invented word, not his. In any case Prayut is not an action man......he is only a talking man! Blah, blah, blah.....

A singing man

Why does Pattaya get all the credit ? Bangkok, Phuket and many other places are doing their bit with gusto.

But he is right to focus on other key elements of Pattaya rebranding, such as the chief of police telling people not to be stupid by wearing expensive jewellery out at night, moaning about the lack of functional sidewalks, and the sewage being discharged straight into the bay.

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

Same here I still indulge, rarely now, but Pattaya is a festering sore, contaminated by the worst tourists of the planet.

only been there once, an unfriendly money grabbing bunch there. The best night life and the friendliest I found was Chiang Mai

2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Very few women desire such an ignominious and disagreeable "job." 

Is making 8000 baht per month in a dead end occupation vs. 8000 baht per week disagreeable?  Travelling to different areas of the country, eating in fancy restaurants , wearing fancy clothes and staying in fancy hotels, whilst the client pays, are just some of the perks associated with this profession.  Many make enough to eventually build a house and open a small business in their village all while supporting their family.  

2 minutes ago, SABloke said:

:unsure: ??? Thai prostitution is estimated at about $8 billion, a lot for sure, but it is not 40% of an economy that is $400 billion. :coffee1:

You are quite right. In fact it is the total "Black" economy of Thailand that is about 40%. It is on record that Thailand has one of the highest "Black" economies in the world at 41%. So when the big mouths of the government and banks are bragging about the economy they are really only talking about the "White" economy which is 59%.

I doubt anyone really know how much prostitution makes up of the "black" economy simply because of what it is........"black".

It's already well on it's way! The minorities should understand that once the host dies, the parasites are soon to follow!

STEP ONE: WEAKEN PARASITES
STEP TWO: FLUSH PARASITES OUT
How do You Know if the Parasites are Gone After a Cleanse?

3 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Stop seeing it as a problem and the issue will go away. Most of the population does not see it as a problem.

Totally agree, Its the oldest profession in the world going back 1000s of years , indeed my dad says marriage is only a legalised form of prostitution lol

Its would be catastrophic for Thailands tourist industry and the money it brings to all the Thais here.

Maybe Mr Gambia is jealous of Thailands fame an fortune, that all Gambia gets is old obese ginger ugly woman to get serviced by their beach boy image. 

I fail to see the problem apart from the obvious human trafficking etc 

hmmmm..... now there’s a clever idea.... stop thailand being a sex destination for foreigners....hmmm

3 hours ago, webfact said:

he said that there are still many people who make their living serving as sex workers.

But there is no other meaningful employment out there for them to do ! You invest in employment first, then say meaningful things.

You shut the sex tourism down, you also kill off 90% plus off all the bars, 50% of all restaurants and taxi motorbikes will be broke !