PM Prayut urges all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem

webfact

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, captspectre said:

The dear leader will never correct this! in the 49 years I have been kn Thailand there has never been a shortage of prostitutes, most of them have to do it to support their families, the sons all leave the home and their families to do what it that they do, which from my observation is noting! and pattaya? you got to be kidding! take the prostitutes out of pattaya and it will become a ghost town!   things will never change until you get rid of the tourist trash and the thai trash!

... and the foreigners who grab the trash!

But, as another person posted, even for Thais, viable employment opportunities for women (and decent options for men as well, on all fronts) must be offered. Not sure how much a ThaI "pimp" can make on a good day though. Seeing how abysmal the state of education, run by the entitled and the established type (like in many countries, mind you), and it is hard to see progress. Thailand 4.0? Does the PM and his followers know anything about anything beyond a mouse and a screen? The patriarchal (often the old man knows best) rule has to go, among other things.

While admitting Thailand’s tainted image as being a sex haven has been with us for a long time, he said that there are still many people who make their living serving as sex workers.

And even more prominent figures who make a pile running the sex trade, as we've seen time & time again...

Nothing is going to change any time soon, GDP would drop through the floor & what would the thousands of sex workers do for an alternative occupation..

I don't see going back home to harvest rice at 300 baht per day is going to be very appealing....

especially after laying on a beach every day, earning 3,000 baht at night on your back in bed with dinner thrown in!!

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

So he opens the subject of prostitution in Thailand thereby drawing attention to it. Then in the same breath declares no Thais can talk about it because they may draw attention to it. I had serious doubts about the rationality of the man but now that irrationality has been confirmed.

The Thai comedy club 555

Urging is one thing but when you have an ideal socio-economic mix of:

POVERTY (Isan),  

OPPORTUNITY (supply&demand), and

LAX LAW ENFORCEMENT (human trafficking, bribes, mafias etc)

you tend to get the world’s oldest profession done on a large systematic level.

If you want to really get rid of it (or at least realistically lower the notoriety) the PM needs to address the variables above.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

'Cause every father dreams of his daughter growing up to service old, fat, and bald men.

No every other father there dreams of his daughter paying for his drinking, smoking and gambling habit any damn way she can.

8 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

no shortage of jobs but lazy cows prefer to play starfish .. 2000 baht/hour better than bank manager salary

BUT, someone is paying the lady 2000 B. and that is OF COURSE okay? WOW! She is the only culpable one in the transaction. If men used their own hand and heads they wouldn't abuse the situation and ... feel good about it by pointing the finger the other way. I said finger. And I erect my middle finger at whom use these services. They are part of the problem.

4 hours ago, poanoi said:

pride causes westerners to think that way,

but pride got nothing to do with it in a thais eyes, its money,

and on a second glance: what good does pride do when push comes to shove

One of the common sayings Thai women use is  "cannot eat love",  as many farang guys learn; if they're serious about a relationship or marriage,  there had better be enough money to support her family. 

As one of the posters indicated- there are many sideline girls in the business part time as they need to supplement incomes that  are not enough to support their families or extended families.

Most Thais do not consider the trade immoral, but many consider it to be 'demeaning' and look down upon those who are involved in the trade. In addition, most in the trade are not interested in any sexual gratification but only the money and would rather not have to do it if there were other options that paid a livable wage.  Many Thai women who engage in the business along time actually develop a distaste for men and sex  and are good at acting and flashing their Thai smile. To them- it is a boring existence . The smart, pretty ones get in and get out as quickly as possible some with a lot of cash, Others head for the gold overseas and others get lucky and marry a foreigner who takes care of them and the family. Like the song says- 'What's love got to do with it'?!

5 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

Not only will Thailand lose a significant amount of their national income but so will the police who receive a handout from almost a 100% of all the night spots here, ask anyone in the trade.

Precisely, which makes his comments even more ludicrous. 

33 minutes ago, kevozman1 said:

Please.. whilst I don't agree with people who grossly exaggerate the sex tourism figures in regards to GDP, if there is one place where the shit would hit the fan after a serious crackdown on prostitution, then it is certainly Pattaya. I certainly would not want to be around to see the aftermath.

"Of the 17%, non sex tourism would be the vast majority of it."

Source? you didn't put one................ after barking at  a guy for similar

4 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

So? Close it all down, how hard can it be? It's all a bit passé anyway. A 'playground' for uneducated ne'erdowells, and slobbering drunkards. 

Is that so ?

So tell me when did the mantel of god settle on your shoulders.

I happen to know plenty of farang guys who play in LoS,  many of them tertiary qualified professionals, some retired others not so.

I can number Doctors, Naval Officers; Lawyers and Barristers; Army officers (including myself) and successful businessmen among others who actively monger in Thailand.

IMO the drunken fools seen around Pattaya are only the loud and visible minority, something for the media to feed on rather than reality.

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Some might think; why kill the golden goose? Take the girls away from the centers and the pussy chasers would go elsewhere.

The way to go is too pay the girls more to keep their legs closed than to open them up. I favour a voucher system but I doubt than Ch-o-cha could get his head around that. He is after all a soldier who has not mastered any English.

"I favour a voucher system "    Gift vouchers, what a great idea !  555

1 hour ago, RKASA said:

There is as much if not more prostitution in the us and any other country as Thailand - The only real difference is the price, most of the most successful girls in the US have good lawyers.  You can change the style and the location, but in the end it is about easy money at the level you can find it. 

There is no shortage of women looking out to hook up a guy with the cash, car, house or what ever she can get out of it.  By any other name it is the same thing.  That is not saying all women all like that - it is just saying a certain % will always go that route if they have the equipment for it. 

They (here or there) are just as moral as any politician I know of.

That is such horse sh.i.t.

In the UK, similar sized population, get a semi-ugly fat brown dude (colour opposite as this debate is CLEARLY about white farang on the whole and majority of UK residents are white...) spam ten chicks on a dating site and offer $50 for a night of sex, see how many bite your hand off. Do it in BKK, watch that number double.

Similar size population. Completely different culture.

Just to stop repeatedly talking about sex-tourism as a problem would probably change focus.

And I believe it would be much more beneficial in the overall image to do something to about tourist-scams, like overpriced this and that – including taxis not driving on the meter – and the feeling of safety, with attacks on tourists (several incidents reported in media over the past few years), and the fear of stray bullets when Thai rivals shoots on each other (not only thinking of yesterday's Jet-ski episode, but also that a young tourist was hit and died a few years ago), which may damage more than some redlight area dancers...:whistling:

Another case of being seen to be done. An impossible instruction to relevant authorities.

But even if they just address commercial areas, and are successful in making a difference to what we have now, what are the long term ramifications of these actions?

Stand by for a stampede of freelance product, which will certainly be a bigger deterrent for normal family tourism that it is now with at least most of the girls (and boys) behind closed doors.

This just isn't going away.

Nevertheless, the prime minister suggested that Thai people should not prolong the talk on this issue which would only serve to cast the country in a bad light.

Yes but Thai people concerning anything else need to be quiet good little sheep or face the wrath. Thailand's self imposed leadership and hypocritical regime already casts a shade of bad light. this guy is way too much!

6 minutes ago, trianglechoke said:

That is such horse sh.i.t.

In the UK, similar sized population, get a semi-ugly fat brown dude (colour opposite as this debate is CLEARLY about white farang on the whole and majority of UK residents are white...) spam ten chicks on a dating site and offer $50 for a night of sex, see how many bite your hand off. Do it in BKK, watch that number double.

Similar size population. Completely different culture.

Does not matter whom, color of client or location - the problem of prostitution is the same everywhere and the only difference is cost.  That is why some come here and why it it here even if they didn't come here.  You confuse bottom feeders with real pro's - their are places all over A.L. and the rest of the world that would never allow you in the door without a visa card checked.  Ask any pro basketball player or others - been in the news countless times over - haidy flis or what ever her name is among just a few.  Same thing in England - sorry if that pops a moral bobble for you - but the number of women that do this does not matter about the economy - only the level at which they work. The only real problem is whom gets a cut of the action.  As far as places like Pattaya - if you go to the dump you find trash.  People that can't afford it at home come to Pattaya or in it - something like that.

4 minutes ago, RKASA said:

but the number of women that do this does not matter about the economy - only the level at which they work

I tend to disagree with that, the levels expand, as with all parts of an economy.

As has been stated here already, the majority of the money spent on prostitution in places like Thailand is under the radar of the traditional ways of monitoring. However that money does get spent in, some in ways that are monitored, some that are not. 

In reality, if the 'ladies' were liable for income tax on their earnings, then they would be in the top 10% of Thailand's tax payers, if it was declared as it was the amount earned! Most Thai's with an income of 45k per month or less do not pay any tax on their earnings.

Money generates money by its very nature.

Archived