PM Prayut urges all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem

webfact

7 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

So called?  What would you call morals?  Is there such a thing? 

To forget one's morals is to contribute to the decadence of society.  More importantly, it is to be willfully ignorant of one's eternal interests--to sacrifice one's hope of eternal existence for a few very short moments of pleasure.  I say it's not worth it.  The eternal prize is worth risking everything for, and giving up everything in the effort, as an olympian does in seeking the gold medal.

And that statement right there alludes to the solution.  I think, as unpopular as their efforts have been portrayed, the attempts by the Shinawatras to strengthen the economy among the poorer classes were as much effective toward alleviating the core basis for prostitution as any.  Very few women desire such an ignominious and disagreeable "job."  Providing them better means of supporting themselves and their families would be the most efficient method of elevating the country out of its shame.

And who decides on the "Morals" question of what is right and what is wrong...YOU? Before getting on your high horse and deciding how everyone else should live..Think about what you are saying...History is littered with people going on "Moral" crusades and the net result is normally oppression or worse. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but your "holier than thou" attitude is ridiculous. It is not called the oldest profession in the world for nothing, but of course you think everyone should bow to your way of thinking, behave how you approve. The Netherlands, Germany, Poland has legalised this business...I do not see them falling apart at the seams.     

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, gbswales said:

There will be some token clean ups in places  not contributing enough tea money. Then the prices charged will rise and nothing will have changed except the takings. Just accept the sec trade and that many of the tourists (including some of their older kids) walk the streets specifically to gasp at it. Amsterdam has the same kind of tourist but it doesn't damage anything there.

Just clamp down on the number of garish signs and designate specific areas. Even if you do that you will still see family tourists going to look.

As for people with young kids they will spend 90% of their days at the beach or hotel pool. I don't remember my kids ever wanting to walk around the town or visit markets

In Amsterdam the Red Light district is only having tourists taking pictures. If Thailand would legalize cannabis it would more look like it. Coffeeshops in Amsterdam are loaded with tourists.

So it will be the end of Walking Street, Soi Cowboy, Nana and PatPong. No more "Me so h*rny, me love you long time" will be ending Thailand's tourism, but the high quality Chinese tourists will keep coming to World's high class resort town called Pattaya. 

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Is this man for real?

He opens his mouth 1 day, there is no prostitution here, next time he speaks, he wants people help solve the problem that  he says does not exist.

Better for him just shut up say nothing.

The guy can't be serious to speak about Pattaya only. Then they'd have to shot down Bangkok, the places we foreigners know are quite different to the places the Thai men, girls, lb go to.

But you need a Thai guy to show you where all these places really are.

BTW, what does one night in Bangkok for people who are not living here actually  mean? The whole country's reputation is based on their usually beautiful ( prostitute) women, with partly shady character. 

One night in Bangkok has hardly anything to do with temple sightseeing, isn't it? Soi Cowboy seems to be clean, good job, general. 

Soi Cowboi.jpg

2 minutes ago, Herbie 100 said:

And who decides on the "Morals" question of what is right and what is wrong...YOU? Before getting on your high horse and deciding how everyone else should live..Think about what you are saying...History is littered with people going on "Moral" crusades and the net result is normally oppression or worse. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but your "holier than thou" attitude is ridiculous. It is not called the oldest profession in the world for nothing, but of course you think everyone should bow to your way of thinking, behave how you approve. The Netherlands, Germany, Poland has legalised this business...I do not see them falling apart at the seams.     

I let the Ministry of Culture decide what is right and what is wrong....they are well versed in morality. :tongue:

4 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

In Amsterdam the Red Light district is only having tourists taking pictures. If Thailand would legalize cannabis it would more look like it. Coffeeshops in Amsterdam are loaded with tourists.

So it will be the end of Walking Street, Soi Cowboy, Nana and PatPong. No more "Me so h*rny, me love you long time" will be ending Thailand's tourism, but the high quality Chinese tourists will keep coming to World's high class resort town called Pattaya. 

Not everybody's choice....I've been to A'dam many times, but never took a photograph of the red light area. 

amsterdam-red-light-district.jpg

8 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Stop seeing it as a problem and the issue will go away. Most of the population does not see it as a problem.

Yup.  When the ‘great’ PM finds a suitable substitute way of earning money for these poor and under educated girls........ he could have success.  

Just asking the sex workers to learn for their families to live with starvation..... to save his and Thai ‘face’ won’t do it.  

17 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I came for the food and the temples! :smile:...........oh!.........and the smiles.

The temples give me the creeps, the food the runs and the smiles; well time to check if the wallet is still there. I came for the fishing and the world class sports.

Everywhere has it.  Not just Thailand.

my home in San Bernardino, California has loads of it. Holland, Germany , Philippines, Norway , Italy, Kenya, Nigeria, Australia, Moscow.  They all got it. It is ‘Everywhere’

Even if he thinks he is a magician he can’t make it go away.

By offering these girls alternatives and making THAI boys/men support the babies they make for these girls so prolifically. 

Suggest he transfer cash earmarked for submarines to education a dn training The poor standard of education leads young girls to seek out money via prostitution

If he won't do that then I suggest he keep his mouth shut

How long have these guys been in power? Isn't it a bit late and a weak way to solve this problem? Let me hypothesize that these guys have taken advantage of the situation before. Maybe there are too many the economic viability of the business for the Thais that run it? Is this vote getting?

Has the situation worsened or improved during their mandate? I rarely visit these areas, but I do not recall seeing Africans doing business in those areas in the past. Just observing.

9 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Very few women desire such an ignominious and disagreeable "job."  Providing them better means of supporting themselves and their families would be the most efficient method of elevating the country out of its shame.

Don't buy into it: The poor little girl forced into prostitution sob story. That's what they want foreigners to think as they are parted from their cash.

The girls who get into this "ignominious and disagreeable job" as you call it have as much opportunity as the rest of the female population who survive on other jobs. The girls getting into prostitution (servicing foreigners) are into it for real money. They don't want mundane, regular work. They dream of cars, houses and living it rich just like all the other prostitutes in their provinces that scored big time in years gone by. If you gave them a real job most would quit in a week if not a day.

The PM has a simple way to shut down foreign prostitution. It's not hiding. It is flashing bright neon lights on expensive real estate. Bring in the soldiers and shut it all down. Roll some tanks into Walking Street, Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza - that should do the trick.

He's not up to the task. That would require a man of conviction who's not all talk and no action.

7 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Close it all down, how hard can it be?

Easy-peasy not a problem. You are hereby elected to start the ball rolling. A good starting point would be Soi 6 Beach Rd Pattaya at about 11.30pm. Suggest you start at the top and work your way down and inform all the bars, "entertainment" venues and "massage" establishments they are to be closed forthwith. Having a downhill run you should be able to build up a bit of speed by the time you hit Beach Rd and make your escape.

There are 4 "farang" houses in a small village nearby funded by the partners of sister bar girls working in Samui. 2 of the farangs were kicked into touch when the build was complete, 1 is sending money from Aus, and they are just finishing off the swimming pool in the other place.  Who are the victims?

It's all about the way foreigners look at Thailand. I don't see any plan to make really poor families getting money from other trades. A lot of these girls needs money to send home. Not all are scam or happy hookers.

Seems like it's all about face of the country.

7 hours ago, SooKee said:

Maybe not the case. But way too many fathers (and the rest of the families including mothers and bone idle sons) are more than happy to sit on their asses at home bleeding their cherished daughters dry, placing ever increasing pressure on them to send more and more money home each month. I'm guessing they don't give a 5hit where the money comes from but I'm also guessing many are very happy it's from a pot bigger than what they'd have if their little darling worked in a 7.

I'm always amused by the people who see the macro picture and ignore that we're talking about someone's daughter(s).  Someone else's daughter, to be sure.  And that makes it okay.  Unless, of course, it's their kid that comes back to the village with AIDS that they caught in the trade.  

If the Elite would share a little of Thailand's wealth with the masses, maybe they wouldn't be idle.  If the choice is sitting on my butt for, well nothing, and working like a dog for $8-10 a day, I'd figure out a way to survive sitting on my ass, too.  Let's face it, neither one is a living wage in the era of globalization when they're effectively bidding against everyone in the world for that mango or pineapple that used to sell for almost nothing because it was going to be sold in Thailand and nowhere else.

8 hours ago, poanoi said:

pride causes westerners to think that way,

but pride got nothing to do with it in a thais eyes, its money,

and on a second glance: what good does pride do when push comes to shove

So, you'd be okay with your kid (son or daughter) going down on old guys for money?   But it's okay for someone else's kid, because what good is pride?

1 minute ago, impulse said:

So, you'd be okay with your kid (son or daughter) going down on old guys for money?   But it's okay for someone else's kid, because what good is pride?

...and what are you doing to help the problem on top of waving the moral- index finger?

9 hours ago, impulse said:

If you can see it at all, it's a problem. 

For every $1 brought in by the mongers, there are probably $5 that families won't bring in because it's so in-your-face.  They'll go elsewhere.  To be clear, there is no "elsewhere" that doesn't have prostitution.  Just not so in-your-face that you have to explain it to your kids, along with what those big plastic schlongs on sale in front of the hotel are for, and why they can't buy those videos (at eye level on even the main markets) with the naked guys and gals on the front covers doing strange things.

If you have kids and have a brain you don't take them to places like Pattaya.  It is an adult playground and is exactly what certain adults want.  To try to change something because it isn't suitable for children is the wrong way.   Just make it plain in brochures and advertising and then leave Pattaya alone.  You will not drive out prostitution but you may well drive in more underground and then you can end up with no checks and balances at all.

7 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

You are deluded.. there were more prostitutes during the shin reign than now. And sex was sold cheaper by thousands of baht then showing you are clearly mistaken. Methinks you are just a shinfan lost in their repertoire. 

If you can manage to tear yourself away from the anti Thaksin rhetoric you might be able to grasp the point being made. The main driver of prostitution is poverty or at least financial want.

Redistribute a little wealth and the problem of prostitution is eroded , its hardly a novel concept.

Unfortunately this is the polar opposite of what the current administration craves , hence the desire to 'solve ' the problem by not talking about it.

37 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm always amused by the people who see the macro picture and ignore that we're talking about someone's daughter(s).  Someone else's daughter, to be sure.  And that makes it okay.  Unless, of course, it's their kid that comes back to the village with AIDS that they caught in the trade.  

If the Elite would share a little of Thailand's wealth with the masses, maybe they wouldn't be idle.  If the choice is sitting on my butt for, well nothing, and working like a dog for $8-10 a day, I'd figure out a way to survive sitting on my ass, too.  Let's face it, neither one is a living wage in the era of globalization when they're effectively bidding against everyone in the world for that mango or pineapple that used to sell for almost nothing because it was going to be sold in Thailand and nowhere else.

I'm always amused by folks with abysmal basic comprehension skills, those who quote others and dial in their own interpretation and incorrect assumptions about what was said rather than sticking to what the person quoted actually did say.  Indeed your outlook of it being being preferable to find a way to sit on your ass because of the national wage position rather than get of it and go earn so the daughter doesn't have to flog herself to death contributes just as much to the problem as anything else.

Where did anyone say it was OK?  It's just a fact of life here, whether it insults your moral code or not.  The fact that families put such immense pressure on their daughters to send the money home can't be ignored and I wouldn't mind betting there's a fair proportion who know EXACTLY how the money is being earned.  The ones that need to focus on it being someone's daughter is their parents and families, first and foremost.  Then they can wait for the elite to do what they're never going to do and then of course, finally, for the moral crusaders who will actually DO, well, even less, other than spout off about how wrong it all is to dial up their feel-good factor.  Doesn't change 5shit, regardless of how high, mighty and self-righteous it might make them feel.  

Effect of my thoughts on the problem, zilch, yours, same same.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

PM urges all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem

I was not aware it was a problem.I and many other men have no problem with it,

It is a case of mind over matter. If the women do not mind it does not matter.

10 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Stop seeing it as a problem and the issue will go away. Most of the population does not see it as a problem.

You are wrong. For the healthy part of the country, which is the majority, this is a problem. Just think of all the problems faced by the Thai in terms of visa when they go to the West.

Archived