PM Prayut urges all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem

webfact

30 minutes ago, inThailand said:

First, LOS was going to be the first country to eliminate drugs. Now short time. Good luck with either one!

You see this all over the world. New, arrogant leaders take power and decide they are the ones who are going to succeed at stamping out drugs and prostitution. It's never going to happen. Duterte over in the Philippines is finding this out right now. I remember a state premier in Queensland, Australia closed down all brothels. Prostitutes had to work alone. Prostitutes were dying. Brothels are open again.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Thaifly88 said:

The current GDP estimate of tourism's contribution to Thailand's economy is 17%, so not sure where the gentleman who quotes 40% for the sex industry is sourcing his data. Of the 17%, non sex tourism would be the vast majority of it.

If sex tourism disappeared tomorrow, Pattaya would continue on with a blip on the graph showing a temporary decline before resuming it's rise in tourist numbers as the Chinese continue their unabated arrivals along with European and Russian families.

Thailand continues to be an extremely popular tourist destination worldwide regardless of political uncertainty, strong baht, tsunami's etc. 

Totally agree.   Pattaya is already getting the vast majority of its tourist numbers from non-sex tourists.  The change in Pattaya's image has come, not from any government efforts of note, but almost entirely from private industry investment on a rather vast scale. 

Private industry built Central Festival, Cartoon Network Waterpark, Singha Theater, Colosseum, Nong Nooch Gardens, Pattaya Floating Market, Ramayana Waterpark, Sanctuary of Truth, Harbor Mall,  Central Marina, Cape Dara, Centara, Royal Cliff, and dozens and dozens of high quality condominium developments, among many other projects. attracting main-stream tourists. 

Private industry is continuing  to pour money into Pattaya with the huge Terminal 21project, the large Amari Hotel expansion, the Grand Sole Hotel renovation and redevelopment of the large adjacent land tract, and numerous other new hotel and condominium projects on the books.  

If the PM really wants to do something for Pattaya's image he could start by cutting off a chunk of the EEC's big development money and use it to start upgrading Pattaya's infrastructure.  The public development  of Pattaya is lagging far behind the successful efforts of private industry.

5 hours ago, kevozman1 said:

Please.. whilst I don't agree with people who grossly exaggerate the sex tourism figures in regards to GDP, if there is one place where the shit would hit the fan after a serious crackdown on prostitution, then it is certainly Pattaya. I certainly would not want to be around to see the aftermath.

You obviously haven't been to Pattaya in awhile.  Or, you confine yourself to the bars.

Thailand will cease to be the sex capital of the world only when the countless thousands of women and men working in the flesh trade are able to obtain alternative legal jobs which pay enough to support them and their families.

After nearly four years of doing <deleted> towards achieving this worthy objective, will the PM (scraping by on a paltry 154,000 baht a month plus personal assets of more than 100 million) kindly explain how this economic miracle is to be achieved?

If he can't, this is just one more reason why the General and his Cabinet of hi-so millionaires should be given the elbow - if and when they summon up the guts to go to the country.

11 hours ago, z42 said:

I would dread to think just how much of a gaping hole (no pun intended) shutting down the sex trade would leave.

These foreign mongers, for all their flaws do pump a lot of cash in and this money does go to Thai brass on multiple levels.. Regulate it and actually make it safer for the ladies and gents working in this trade, and make even more cash too, forget so called morals. They certainly don't appear to exist at a government level

This is logical, however, Thailand is a Buddhist nation and one of the basic precepts is "Abstain from sexual misconduct" so the government must give the impression it is keeping with all the precepts not just some restrictions on alcohol I will refrain from comments about truthfulness (and watches) 555

48 minutes ago, rawaimike said:

Prayut not living in the real world, who will support these girls children & family their husbands & boyfriends have abandoned !!!!!! ..... No social security to fall back on out here...

The members of an anonymous forum will do.............:shock1:

5 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'The prime minister noted that ... “Some people love expensive goods, but they don’t have the money ...'

There's irony for you.

And of course there are some that just like to 'watch'......................:wacko:

'Cause every father dreams of his daughter growing up to service old, fat, and bald men.
"Finding serinty... Forgetting Western) principles". It's not only the title of a book but it's also a good way to think and be happy in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I was not aware it was a problem.I and many other men have no problem with it,

It is a case of mind over matter. If the women do not mind it does not matter.

Money doesn't stink and women do mind from time to time. Please ask my wife. 

13 minutes ago, KIWIBATCH said:

85% of "users" of Thai prostitution are Thai men

Can you imagine when the drugged truck drivers can't flogg anymore when in the capital? And the short time hotels/rooms all over the country would be empty. We must have thousands of them. Who's using them?

I've never seen another foreigner....oh wait, my friend told me that. I'd never do that. 

7 hours ago, Toscano said:

Thai people do not see prostitution as something degrading as western people do .  My experience married to a Thai woman , is that Thais don't

" Make Love " as we western people know it ; sex is a quick in and out that can be enjoyable for both , but feelings of " Love " are not a part of it .

Married or not women will have sex for money or gold .  Thailand is caught between two stools , low wages means manufactured products market at a competitive price ; higher wages that provide a decent living means that Thailand will no longer have a competitive edge in the market .

Mothers and fathers are quite happy for their daughter to go to Bangkok , Pattaya or Phuket to be a bar girl or masseuse , in the full knowledge of how the money is earned , sending lots of money home to their impoverished rural region .  In a country town or big village , at the evening market it is quite normal for an elderly man to be propositioned for sex by one or more young girls .  I understand that chains of massage parlours are a massive business , to do away with them will lose a huge amount of tourist business .  Thailand is a cheap destination , ( Sadly ) for the lower end of the market ; Thailand doesn't have what is needed to cater for the upper end of the market , or only on a small scale .  

"Thailand is caught between two stools....."

Was it necessary to mention Ladyboys ?   5555

23 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

"Finding serinty... Forgetting Western) principles". It's not only the title of a book but it's also a good way to think and be happy in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Agreed, I love holidaying in LoS and know that I'll end up retiring there later down the line. 

But I see Thais warts and all,  festering carbuncles included; that said I count many good honest Thai folk among my dearest and trusted friends.  Some are well traveled and quietly acknowledge their country's inherent flaws. 

IMHO Thailand needs a fully democratic process,  even the Taksin model if that's what it takes; anything to break the hold on power of the generalissimos.   Then the Thais can work on sorting it all out and developing an established democratic government accountable to the electorate itself.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

especially those in the tourism sector must try to change the image of Pattaya into a destination of quality tourism and not as a sex destination.

Uh-oh ... I thought it was against the rules to make such scurrilous suggestions (Pattaya a sex destination??) in these here forums! 

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

While admitting Thailand’s tainted image as being a sex haven has been with us for a long time, he said that there are still many people who make their living serving as sex workers.

And even more prominent figures who make a pile running the sex trade, as we've seen time & time again...

Nothing is going to change any time soon, GDP would drop through the floor & what would the thousands of sex workers do for an alternative occupation..

I don't see going back home to harvest rice at 300 baht per day is going to be very appealing....

especially after laying on a beach every day, earning 3,000 baht at night on your back in bed with dinner thrown in!!

3,000 baht at night? that's a tourist for you! always inflating the price! be glad when low season comes.

"My experience married to a Thai woman , is that Thais don't

" Make Love " as we western people know it ; sex is a quick in and out that can be enjoyable for both , but feelings of " Love " are not a part of it ."

Since when does anyone "make love"?

Media term.

People are people the world over. Religion plays a role but otherwise it's the same.

9 minutes ago, Justfine said:

"My experience married to a Thai woman , is that Thais don't

" Make Love " as we western people know it ; sex is a quick in and out that can be enjoyable for both , but feelings of " Love " are not a part of it ."

Timed myself having sex with the wife last night; 2 hours, 20 minutes and thirty seconds.

Of course that includes the pre-sex financial negotiations and a snooze fterwards.

perhaps they want start right outside the barracks and close down some of the fairy light bars and ship the illegal girls back over the border .

Can't see buck banana doing much on this it much bigger issue rooted to education, employment and serious deep corruption compared to the lottery tickets, taxi mafia, beach chairs that he been so successful with lol .

15 hours ago, impulse said:

If you can see it at all, it's a problem. 

For every $1 brought in by the mongers, there are probably $5 that families won't bring in because it's so in-your-face.  They'll go elsewhere.  To be clear, there is no "elsewhere" that doesn't have prostitution.  Just not so in-your-face that you have to explain it to your kids, along with what those big plastic schlongs on sale in front of the hotel are for, and why they can't buy those videos (at eye level on even the main markets) with the naked guys and gals on the front covers doing strange things.

Maybe don't take your kids to Pattaya, Bangla road or the blatantly sex tradie part of Bangkok on holidays perhaps? It's certainly not on my family holiday destination list.

Archived