Planning a visit to Samui late April

wcoast

I live way up north, the woman wants to see Samui. I've been to Phangan (quiet end in the North) quite a few years ago. We'll probably stay a week or so. I've only been to the pier in Samui on a boat heading back to Chompon.
A few questions...
What's the best airline to fly into, and what's a good price from Bangkok. Looks expensive, previously took the train to Chomphon and a ferry to Phangan. Suggestions?
Where's a good area to stay? We'd like a bit of local activity but enjoy our downtime too. Lamai? What can we expect to pay for accommodation, 3+ star clean and quiet is fine. I'm an experienced motorcyclist and we'll likely explore on a bike, any recommendations for a shop that has well maintained reasonably priced bikes?
Thx all for your input.

Sent from my abacus using Tapatalk

Air Asia and Nok Air fly from Bangkok to Surat Thani, and both has (to my knowledge) a bus transfer to ferry at Don Sak. Bangkok Airways fly from Bangkok Suwarnabhumi direct to Samui, but is more expensive, however look at their website for bargains (web promotions) or use "Early Bird" or "Late Night" flights.

By surface there is bus from Bangkok to Chomphon and catamaran ferry to Samui by Lomprayah, and the good old "express" sleeper train also still run to Surat Thani with bus/ferry transfer to Samui (I think still around 700-800 baht for 2nd class sleeper). Furthermore VIP-bus is available from Bangkok to Samui (use to be in level of 1,200 baht).

You can find reasonable good accommodation in something like 3-star level – including beach side, and even beach-front, bungalows – from around 2,500 baht. Cheaper bungalows and rooms are available from less than 1,000 baht a night, depending on location and facilities.

If you're not into party life, you should avoid most of Chaweng Beach. Good relaxing areas with local life could for example be Maenam, and Bo Phut Beach (Fisherman Village area), and Bang Rak (but there are many boat piers), or Choen Mon Beach up north. Google Earth is a good guide to check the beaches and resorts, and some of the beaches you can even walk with Street View – as example only I place it on one of the beaches, in front of Maenam Resort.

You can rent smaller motorbikes locally all over the island, most of them are fairly new and maximum a few years old. Prices typically from around 200 baht a day (+/-). Some special shops has big bikes for rent, I think they're in the range of 500+ baht a day.

:smile:

Agree with previous posters about flying into Suratthani and bussing to Samui. Pretty much everyone on Samui despises Bangkok Air. There is a counter near the exit from Surat airport that sells bus to Samui packages if you dont hook one up through Nok or AirAsia.
Now, accomodations.
I like Lamai, a bit of the nightlife with an excellent beach and as far as I know no jet ski thugs have been shot to death there recently.
Pavilion hotel is nice, had some friends stay there.
Ok....motorbikes...oh boy.
Scooter......400cc.....Harley....rice rocket? Pick yer poison.
Scooters you can get pretty much anywhere and your hotel will probably have a preferred rental place if they dont rent themselves.
Bigger bikes...oh boy. Samui is the most dangerous place in the most dangerous country to ride a bike. They say the deck of an aircraft carrier is the most dangerous place....I beg to differ. If you have good helmets at home please bring them as the rental helmets are a sand bucket.
Ohms in Chaweng has well maintained bikes but be prepared to stand up for yourself if you bring it back with an extra scratch or two. Pictures pictures pictures before you even set yer bum upon the bike. Have the rental agent in the pics as well so they cannot claim you took the pics after a fall.
I know a place in Chaweng that rents 250 honda crfs. They are already scatched to hell so no worries there. Pm me if you want their contact.
The crf is a good bike for here as you sit quite high and can see crap coming. Enough giddyup to get yourself out of trouble too.
Ok, best of luck and again, pm me if you have any riding questions for samui.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Really appreciate your in depth replies guys.

Accommodation doesn't look too cheap. I'm guessing there's never a low season in Samui. I'm happy with a 125 scooter (I'm not fat, nor is she), preferring Yamahas. I'll likely bring our helmets. Really appreciate the beach area feedbacks.

BTW, how's the AIS 4G around there? Good strong coverage?

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

A former workmate from Germany coming in June paid 214 Euro return, more than 8000 Baht :shock1:

Normal price is around 4,000 to 5,000 baht one way monkey-class (economy), web promotions and early birds less than 3,000 one way. The most expensive mileage in Asia, however keeps the budget and charter crowd low...:whistling:

49 minutes ago, wcoast said:

Accommodation doesn't look too cheap.

"Too cheap"..?

I believe you can still find "too cheap" accommodation, I see never signs offering 299 baht for a bungalow/room in Bang Por at land side of beach road (Samui Ring Road), some 50-100 meters walk to the beach.

Here you can find beachfront rooms for around 1,100 baht (their sign use to say), and here is a beachfront fan bungalow for about 800-900 baht, and little cheaper, 600-700 baht, for the bungalows behind; the new yellow (aircon) gust house back at right is little more expensive. Just some examples I know, there are many similar possibilities all around the island, but they may not be 3-star...:unsure:

55 minutes ago, wcoast said:

I'm guessing there's never a low season in Samui.

Some places has lower prices in March (little low season), normal low seasons are after song kran (i.e. end of April) till end of June, and again during October. No season with "too cheap" prices is November and until Xmas, it's the monsoon-season; in older time many resorts and restaurants simply closed.

:smile:

Worst place I have been. I travelled round the island and changed hotel 20 times. RESULT....  I couldn't find any clean beach to swim ( garbage floating everywhere )  and food wasn't good and expensive,   and I didn't have any nice sleep without any noise in any hotel,   and I have been to a hairdresser, I looked terrible in the evening in the evening, my hair was different seizes everywhere ,,, I had to leave koh samui , left for the main land. First thing I had to go to a hairdresser and cut off all my hair.  

I've been round the world to 80 countries and never ever been in this situation before. Hair dresser had on her wall hanging 4 diplomas. You give me 1 million US , I don't go to Koh Samui. Punkt och Slut . in Swedish.

Worst place I have been. I travelled round the island and changed hotel 20 times. RESULT....  I couldn't find any clean beach to swim ( garbage floating everywhere )  and food wasn't good and expensive,   and I didn't have any nice sleep without any noise in any hotel,   and I have been to a hairdresser, I looked terrible in the evening in the evening, my hair was different seizes everywhere ,,, I had to leave koh samui , left for the main land. First thing I had to go to a hairdresser and cut off all my hair.  
I've been round the world to 80 countries and never ever been in this situation before. Hair dresser had on her wall hanging 4 diplomas. You give me 1 million US , I don't go to Koh Samui. Punkt och Slut . in Swedish.
Yea she musta been bad, she missed your tongue

Bang Por has cheap Bungalows, about 50m from Beach, no longer for 299 but afaik about 450 now. They are at the west end of the beach opposite King Bush Reggae Beach. They are small and easy, but clean and close to the beach. Bang Por offers empty beaches and nice restaurants, but no party scene and no shopping. Keep in mind, that April is the hottest month on Samui and the water starts getting low (although Bang Por still has more water than some other areas in east or west), so you might can swim only at high tide. I would recommend October, January and February for holidays on Samui...

why not go back to phangan again. that area u were at before has quite a nice energy . near the agama yoga area.  lots of westerners hang thier.  but i think some of them smoke weed...........it has changed alot in the past 5 years in that area. for the better. and lots of really good restaurants. i can assure u . u will like it better than samui..  i think samui has been over run

why not go back to phangan again. that area u were at before has quite a nice energy . near the agama yoga area.  lots of westerners hang thier.  but i think some of them smoke weed...........it has changed alot in the past 5 years in that area. for the better. and lots of really good restaurants. i can assure u . u will like it better than samui..  i think samui has been over run
The lady wants to check it out, who knows maybe we'll only spend a day or so on Samui and the rest on Phangan. Nothing written in stone.
**As a reminder to some posters, I'm not heading there till the end of April.

4 minutes ago, wcoast said:

The lady wants to check it out, who knows maybe we'll only spend a day or so on Samui and the rest on Phangan. Nothing written in stone.
**As a reminder to some posters, I'm not heading there till the end of April.

yea its just a boat ride away.... i think the lamai area might be ok. but i think some hostess bars around......

16 hours ago, Alfa said:

Interesting that you lurk on the Samui forum if you hate the place so much. Glad you miserable git did not end up staying here...

I live in this shithole. Trust me, go elsewhere... too crowded with one main road, too many accidents and fatalities (just yesterday a shooting on Chaweng Beach), trash everywhere, dirty beaches and sois with no interest to clean-up, and a privately-owned airport by Bangkok Airways that makes it very expensive for a short visit (unless you have a resident card).

I live in this shithole. Trust me, go elsewhere... too crowded with one main road, too many accidents and fatalities (just yesterday a shooting on Chaweng Beach), trash everywhere, dirty beaches and sois with no interest to clean-up, and a privately-owned airport by Bangkok Airways that makes it very expensive for a short visit (unless you have a resident card).
Honestly I have a good idea of how bad it is, but I suspect a mix of natural beauty and uncontrolled development. A bit curious as to it's allure scenically, no doubt it's got it's fill of girls, booze, and expats. Generally I stay away from heavy tourist areas, but I do like to at least see what original beauty brought ppl there in the first place. As my woman says... you never know if you never try.

10 hours ago, Makhao said:

Bang Por has cheap Bungalows, about 50m from Beach, no longer for 299 but afaik about 450 now. They are at the west end of the beach opposite King Bush Reggae Beach. They are small and easy, but clean and close to the beach. Bang Por offers empty beaches and nice restaurants, but no party scene and no shopping. Keep in mind, that April is the hottest month on Samui and the water starts getting low (although Bang Por still has more water than some other areas in east or west), so you might can swim only at high tide. I would recommend October, January and February for holidays on Samui...

Agree this is one of the nicest stretches of Samui, if only for these 'uninhabited' beaches. Always enjoy gazing across to Koh Phangan, as usually I am gazing in the other direction. Also down towards Nathon there are many beaches which haven't been fully taken over by tourism. 

On 01/03/2018 at 11:46 AM, Seducedbytheseas said:

Why live in a shithole?

Yeah yeah

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 28/02/2018 at 7:07 PM, Alfa said:

What does a haircut have to do with that attempt to reduce tourism?

And the changed hotel 20 times isn't believable.

Need to be more subtle if you want to stop tourists coming.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, wcoast said:

Honestly I have a good idea of how bad it is, but I suspect a mix of natural beauty and uncontrolled development. A bit curious as to it's allure scenically, no doubt it's got it's fill of girls, booze, and expats. Generally I stay away from heavy tourist areas, but I do like to at least see what original beauty brought ppl there in the first place. As my woman says... you never know if you never try.

20 years too late for the "natural beauty". I think people still go because of the reputation it gained in the olden days, and of course if you build it and put pretty photos in a travel agent brochure that'll get some, and the really expensive ones on their own little beaches will still be as nice as they used to be 30 years ago.

Last time I passed by on a ferry I was astounded at the places they build houses- all the way up steep hills.

I'm hoping that the north of Phangan isn't too ruined and pictures on the internet seem to bear that out. I hope to go again later in the year, when the monsoon keeps ( hopefully ) the party hooligans away.

Samui always had the reputation, but Phangan always had nicer beaches, if one knew where to go. Certainly different though, hillier for a start.

Sounds like the ring road around the north has been finished, which is depressing as it will be the end of the good times, but the ruination won't really take off till they complete the airport, hopefully not before next century.

Archived