Non-Immigrant O Visa based on Marriage from Vientiane

Returned early this morning from a visa run with an agency to Vientiane to obtain a new Non-Immigrant O visa, single entry, based on marriage to a Thai national.

The whole process went without any problems at all and visa obtained.

Australian citizen.

Documents provided were,

• application form with 2 photos for Thai visa

• application form with 1 photo for Laotian visa

• copy of data page of my passport

• copy of Australian marriage registration

• copy of Australian marriage certificate 

• copy of Thai KR 22, registration of foreign marriage

• copy of wives Thai passport data page

• copy of wives house book (blue)

• copy of wives Thai ID card, front and back

• letters written by my wife addressed to the Vientiane Consular section, in Thai and English asking them to issue a visa based on marriage so I can stay with her for and extended period.

All the above documents were signed (apart from my passport data page) by my wife followed by her printed name. I was not asked for any extra documentation and no documents were returned to me as not required.

The only other document was a copy of my Laos visa in my passport, which was done by the agency.

No financial documents or exit, air or land tickets, were required or ask for as is the case if you apply for this type of visa in Australia.

Hope this information will be of help to anybody who is planning to obtain a similar visa to extend their stay in Thailand. I would recommend you do it at the Laotian Capital for ease and expediency.

Did same thing back in October. Dead easy. Vientiane is a nice place to visit. You will have to overnight as you hand in documents one day and get your Visa the next. So do not go on a Friday as I did!!

Found a great Indian Restaurant downtown towards Mekong and close to Tran Hung Dao Temple. Family run and very friendly, called Jamil Zahid Indian/Pakistani Restaurant... Cold Beer Lao goes perfect with it!!

P.S. Documents are handed in at the Thai Consular Section which is not at the main Thai Embassy, get there early, I was ticket # 503 on a Friday morning...

To briefly summarise my experience:

1) Return air fare Don Meuang to Udon Thani  1300 baht. Depart Tuesday because fewer applicants at Thai Consulate. Leave DM at 6am On Nok Air arrives Udon at 705am. At Udon Departures exit and directly to the right is a limo hire company which will sell you a ticket on the nest van departing for the border, 250 baht.

2) Arrive at border present passport etc and catch bus across the bridge. 30 baht

3) Laos side: present passport and Laos visa application and proceed through immigration. 1300 baht

4) Taxi or tuk tuk to Douangpraseuth Hotel which is only 100 metres from the consulate. 1 night 1200 baht, Arrive about 830 am leave luggage for check in later and proceed to consulate where you should find yourself on a short queue. Present documents, get your number for retrieval of passport the following day. You must have your documents examined to see that all requirements have been met. You will be directed to a counter for this to occur. Ensure that you have attended to this.

5) Return the following day for passport, Process commences at 130pm and you should be clear by 2pm. 1900baht

6) Taxi to border - clear immigration on both sides. Again bus over bridge and Nok Air van to airport. 30+250 baht

7) Udon about 5 pm return flight book for anytime after 6pm for peace of mind.

Hope this was helpful.

You don't even have to leave Thailand for a Non-Immigrant O visa, single entry, based on marriage to a Thai national. You can get it in Thailand at any immigration office, except when you were having a Non-Immigrant O based on retirement, then you need to apply for one outside Thailand.

54 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

You don't even have to leave Thailand for a Non-Immigrant O visa, single entry, based on marriage to a Thai national. You can get it in Thailand at any immigration office, except when you were having a Non-Immigrant O based on retirement, then you need to apply for one outside Thailand.

So you are saying before 90 days is up you apply for 60 extension and when that time is up I don't have to leave the country to get another 90 day Non-Immigrant O visa based on marriage to a thai national.

Could you explain how you can do that.

Thanks.

Edited by ozfarang

25 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

So you are saying before 90 days is up you apply for 60 extension and when that time is up I don't have to leave the country to get another 90 day Non-Immigrant O visa based on marriage to a thai national.

He is not saying that. He was referring to applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration based upon qualifying for an extension based upon marriage. It can only be applied for with a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

The only way you can stay longer is to get a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

You could of gotten a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date it is issued in Savannakhet Laos.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He is not saying that. He was referring to applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration based upon qualifying for an extension based upon marriage. It can only be applied for with a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

The only way you can stay longer is to get a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

You could of gotten a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date it is issued in Savannakhet Laos.

That's right ubonjoe. If Paibkk had read my original post I said a "new" non-immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai national, indicating my last non-immigrant O visa was about to expire. So if you want consecutive visas you must leave the country, otherwise you would be a permanent resident and visa agencies would not exist and visa runs not required.

Edited by ozfarang

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The appointment website for Ventiane does not say Tabien Baan in the list of documents required for single entry, non-immigrant o, marriage visa. This is listed by the op, ozfarang, as a required document. Has this now changed? I sent an email question to the website but got no reply.

Edited by willakawill

On 3/1/2018 at 3:44 PM, ubonjoe said:

I am presently married to a Thai national and  last entered Thailand on a 30-day visa exempt entry. I extended that 30 more days. Are you saying that if I go to a Thai immigration office I can apply for and get a 90 day extension based on marriage? I don.t think I am reading this correctly.

1 hour ago, khaepmu said:

I am presently married to a Thai national and  last entered Thailand on a 30-day visa exempt entry. I extended that 30 more days. Are you saying that if I go to a Thai immigration office I can apply for and get a 90 day extension based on marriage? I don.t think I am reading this correctly.

There is no 90-day extension from immigration on the basis of marriage (though there is something similar which I will explain at the bottom of this post). There are two very different extensions of your permission to stay that are available based on marriage to a Thai:

1. Once per entry into Thailand, you can apply for a 60-day extension to visit your Thai spouse. In principle, you can get this after entering visa exempt. However, some immigration offices will not give it to you if you have already used the regular 30-day extension.
  2. A one-year extension based on marriage to a Thai. There are various conditions that must be met. You must be in Thailand on a non immigrant entry. Thus, you would not be able to apply with your visa exempt entry, or if you entered with a tourist visa. Also, you must show 400,000 baht in the Thai bank, seasoned for two months, or proof of 40,000 baht per month income.

As I stated above, there is no 90-day extension. However, you can achieve something equivalent by a process usually called "conversion". This is used when you are in Thailand on a tourist entry, and intend later to apply for the one-year extension of stay. The conversion is effectively an application for a Non Immigrant O visa at the immigration office which, when granted, is immediately stamped used while granting you a fresh 90-day non immigrant entry to Thailand. It is expected that you will later apply for the one-year extension of stay, and must be able to show that you would qualify. At a minimum, you need 15 days (more at some offices) left on your tourist entry before you can apply for a conversion. It is a lot of work for the immigration officials, and they may try to stop you doing it.

Edited by BritTim