Buy a car from another province ?

Not too much of a pain. You'll need the usual papers (contract, blue book from seller, power of attorney from seller, residence certificate) and they will transfer it. You'll get new plates as well.

13 minutes ago, wump said:

Not too much of a pain. You'll need the usual papers (contract, blue book from seller, power of attorney from seller, residence certificate) and they will transfer it. You'll get new plates as well.

Please explain further. 

Like where?

When do I get the updated book?

etc

You just need same paperwork as if transferring in same Province.

Blue Book for car

copy passport/visa etc

certificate of residence 

sellers ID/Passport copy

if seller is foreign , then copy their visa stamp, and residence certificate from them

Transfer form from DLT

you can do the transfer at your own local Car Tax station etc, they will do paperwork, but you will probably have to take the car to your local DLT office for them to check the cars VIN number. After all is checked, local Car Tax place will notify you when they have Blue Book back along with new number plates for the car.

If you buy a car registered in the province you live then you get the updated book at the same time you pay. All done in one day. 

But that is not the case with an out of province car. What are the pros and cons of doing out of home province or in home province?

I've had friends purchase cars from another Provence,  they had nothing but endless problems with the paperwork and in the end, one of them never could get it done and ended up having to put the car in his wife's name and that took over a year to resolve. 

59 minutes ago, BarnicaleBob said:

I've had friends purchase cars from another Provence,  they had nothing but endless problems with the paperwork and in the end, one of them never could get it done and ended up having to put the car in his wife's name and that took over a year to resolve. 

At least you finally got ownership. I have heard stories the buyer paid and then needed more documents from the seller who refused to provide them. The buyer never got his name in the title book. 

I heard that you can deal with the transfer just before the road fund license and MOT expire.  No need to do it until then if the car is insured which it is.  Anyone know if that's the case?  Its going to be an out-of-Province transfer when we do it.

It depends where your buying it from. Is it a private sale or from a car sales? If private both need to go to the Land Transport together. If your buying from a Thai they only need their ID card and the cars blue book. If a foreigner they'll need the blue book, residency certificate, passport and you'll need your residency certificate and passport. If from a Thai car sales they will do everything for you. 

You can transfer the car on the day and you can drive it away, the blue book will be available 1 to 2 weeks later. 

Leave it on the Bangkok plates. It takes months to change plates to the Province your living in and I only managed it with some tea money. I done it once before when I changed from Chiang Mai to Chonburi and would never do it again. One of my cars was bought in Chonburi on Bangkok plates and we live in Saraburi and Ive left it like that due to past experience. 

from my notes again

Thai seller needs to supply
Signed copy of  ID card  front and back ( not expired )
Signed copy of house registration ( not always required )
signed  " nungsue moub umnart "   หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
signed  "beb  kum kor own le rup own "  แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน    ขส.บ. ท. - 11
green/ blue book signed by current owner

Foreigner seller needs to supply
certificate of residence from immigration ( should be free at immigration but varies from place to place )
For foreign seller, instead of certificate of residence also work permit or yellow housebook is accepted.
if foreign seller has left Thailand then a signed copy of the exit from Thailand stamp in their passport instead of residence certificate and valid visa stamp.
(Certificate of residence not required in all provinces ?    / DLT's Pattaya requires it )
sometimes the police station will give you this document too.
copy passport photo page
copy of visa page and or extension  ( not expired )
signed  " nungsue moub umnart "  หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
signed  "beb  kum kor own le rup own "  แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน    ขส.บ. ท. - 11 ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
green/blue book signed by current owner

So list of provinces where residence certificate is required ( from foreign seller ) so far is
Chonburi/Pattaya  yes
Nakhornratchasima/Korat  yes
Khon Kaen  ??
Buriram for sure yes
Chiang Mai ?   yes @ramrod711
BKK ?

So mini DLT at Big C  Saturdays 09-00 till 15-00  AA insurance now closed on weekends
use the test center at Bahn ampur for test and insurance

If the vehicle has a number plate from another province  then you ( the new buyer not the seller )
must either  change the  ownership name in that province
or goto the MAIN DLT for your province and have them " move" the vehicle to your province  this requires a new number plate and 2 or more trips
before the whole process of name change and province change is completed.

You'll need to go to the Chonburi DLT  ( not Pattaya /Banglamung )

http://maps.google.com/?cid=13676406131048055703

Another member I think it was @Mattd  posted a full recent Chonburi report  but I cant find the post now

forms in the rar package

Vehicle transfer2.rar

16 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I bought a new car in Bangkok, has bangkok plates, moved to Isaan, been here 4 years, stopped many times at checkpoints, had rego papers looked at but never had a problem.  Am I missing something?

No. There are two issues; how to buy a car out of home province and once purchased changing to your province. I only change to my province because it makes point #1 straight forward and easy to do.

16 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I bought a new car in Bangkok, has bangkok plates

As long as its properly registered with tax ,insurance and registration plates there is no problem

driving it anywhere..tax and insurance can be paid in any province..there is no "requirement" to re-register in a new province..but any fines will be sent to the address written in the blue/green book eventually unpaid fines are supposed to stop you from being able to tax the vehicle.

19 hours ago, inThailand said:

What are the pros and cons of doing out of home province or in home province?

If the vehicle already has plates of your "home" province it is easier to transfer within that province.

Out of province transfer might not be possible if the DLT requires a "certificate of residence" and you don't have a home in that province...+  you might live in Chaingmai and vehicle is registered in Bangkok but currently situated in Chaingmai that would require a round trip to Bangkok to change names,they want to inspect the vehicle..you'll need residence certificate etc etc..

much easier to "move" the car to Chaingmai province though not a one stop process.

17 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I bought a new car in Bangkok, has bangkok plates, moved to Isaan, been here 4 years, stopped many times at checkpoints, had rego papers looked at but never had a problem.  Am I missing something?

Same here. Prefer to keep the Bangkok plates too.

1 hour ago, johng said:

As long as its properly registered with tax ,insurance and registration plates there is no problem

driving it anywhere..tax and insurance can be paid in any province..there is no "requirement" to re-register in a new province..but any fines will be sent to the address written in the blue/green book eventually unpaid fines are supposed to stop you from being able to tax the vehicle.

Ok good point thanks.  I will have to check that.

8 hours ago, johng said:

8 hours ago, Denim said:

Same here. Prefer to keep the Bangkok plates too.

7 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Ok good point thanks.  I will have to check that.

Two weeks ago I purchased a car on BKK plates (I live in Pattaya Chonburi) and I wanted to keep the BKK plates....NO CAN DO was the reply when I wanted my name in the Blue book.....if in Thai name OK paperwork go to BKK take one week to do.

No I want car in my name......OK go to Chonburi DLT have them check car over and issue new reg plates which I did,collected the blue book and new plates the day after.

From what I was told the rules for foreigners owning an out of province car in their name changed last september,all cars now owned by foreigners must be registered in their province of residence.

After saying all this I know many here still driving on BKK plates without a problem.....when they come to sell if the new owner is a farang he will have to get the plates changed...

Interesting process and experiences, holy crap.  I've been looking at used motorcycles for sale online throughout LOS.  The registration, ownership books, insurance, taxes paid (and if the present owner can provide necessary current docs) etc...etc, is not cut and dried, and definitely not without risk or bs

why transfer the vehicle ????

Because he wants the vehicle in his name in the green/blue book.

Though it does seem quite common for "ownership" to change but books are not updated,and as long as you have sales receipt and power of attorney form from the original owner then the police probably won't cause you too much hassle at checkpoints...it gets a bit more difficult if you want to sell latter on.

Remember for example you buy a vehicle with Bangkok plate in Chaingmai...youll either have to do the transfer in Bangkok that means driving it all the way there because they need to inspect the vehicle or re-register the vehicle in Chaingmai province.

Ps. Paying yearly tax and insurance is not "registration" no doubt I'll be called pedantic again for pointing that out.

Ok so I had to go to Bangkok at the transportation office of Sukhumvit, it took 1 hour only. Arrived at 3pm, it was done at 4pm.

Then I had to do it all over again in Chonburi, with the same set of papers.

3 days after I got new plates and everything was transfered into my name in Chonburi.

The car has to be inspected 2 times.

For Bangkok :

The seller came with me so the seller had his documents

Visa, stamp and arrival card copy

Passport copy

Residence certificate from the immigration

Blue book

For Chonburi :

Passport copy

Blue book

• 1 month later...

Having just done this it is no longer the simple practice. If you purchase a car from Bangkok you are required to first start with Pattaya motor vehicle office then go to Bangkok, then go to Chonburi motor vehicle 2 more times before you will have plates and a blue book. I suggest bringing reading material to the Chonburi office as it is the only place to issue within the province. Almost makes you wonder why they even have an office in Pattaya. 

Having just done this it is no longer the simple practice. If you purchase a car from Bangkok you are required to first start with Pattaya motor vehicle office then go to Bangkok, then go to Chonburi

If you had gone straight to the main Chonburi DLT office I'm pretty sure you could have avoided the trip to Bangkok.

The Barnglamung ( Pattaya) DLT can issue Chonburi plates but you have to "move" the vehicle to Chonburi at the main Chonburi office first.

The whole registration system needs to be brought into the modern age....now its stuck in the steam age.

• 1 month later...

Probably mostly covered above, but, have bought a car in Bangkok. All the papers were signed by the owner to transfer to my GF. But I now want to put the car in my name. I have the POA signed form from owner and copies of his ID signed and car blue book. I have a yellow book with an address in Kalasin. 

Can I do the transfer in Bangkok and then the plate change in Kalasin if required? Would prefer that as seller is cooperative and would be happy to provide any additional documents while I am still here in Bangkok. Am only heading back to Kalasin in another month.

3 hours ago, rhodie said:

Can I do the transfer in Bangkok and then the plate change in Kalasin if required?

Do you have a residence in Bangkok ?  if not getting a residence certificate could be "tricky"

as long as the sellers visa doesn't run out before you try transferring you should be ok to just do it all in one go in Kalasin,  fall back position put it in GF name and transfer province to Kalasin  then transfer name to yourself.

7 hours ago, johng said:

Do you have a residence in Bangkok ?  if not getting a residence certificate could be "tricky"

as long as the sellers visa doesn't run out before you try transferring you should be ok to just do it all in one go in Kalasin,  fall back position put it in GF name and transfer province to Kalasin  then transfer name to yourself.

Cheers mate. I am staying in a condo in Bangkok. I have a yellow book that puts me in Kalasin. Was just wondering if it's better to do the transfer in Bangkok. If I can, that would suit me better.

If the car has Bangkok plates and you can get Bangkok residence certificate...then do it in Bangkok...no need to change to Kalasin after its in your name.
If it has other province plates then you may as well just do it all in Kalasin...unles of course you want to have Bangkok plates ? ? ?

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2018 at 12:22 AM, JohnnyBKK said:

Ok so I had to go to Bangkok at the transportation office of Sukhumvit, it took 1 hour only. Arrived at 3pm, it was done at 4pm.

Then I had to do it all over again in Chonburi, with the same set of papers.

3 days after I got new plates and everything was transfered into my name in Chonburi.

The car has to be inspected 2 times.

For Bangkok :

The seller came with me so the seller had his documents

Passport copy

Blue book

For Chonburi :

Passport copy

Blue book

So even if you don't have Bangkok Residence you still can change the ownership of the car in Bangkok?

I stay in Surat Thani and want to buy a car in Bangkok and bring it to Surat:

- Should I have a Resident Certificate or Work Permit is enough?

I thought I just register the car on my name in Bangkok First and after just Change the name in Surat.

It's not like that?

• 4 weeks later...

In what time a change of ownership has to be done? Probably going to buy a car next weekend (from other province), but unexpectedly, due to work I might have to leave country right in the beginning of the next week, for a six...seven weeks.
Planned to go to make the deal on Friday, but not sure if it has to be postponed to Saturday. Do DLT's usually operate every day, or are they closed on weekends?

Archived