Air pollution hits hazardous levels in North, Northeast

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CharlesSwann said:

Where is the international pressure on this?

Air pollution also affects wild birds, many of which building up their physical resources for migration out of Thailand about this time of year. Birds have particularly sensitive lungs and this is not going to help. But of course nobody gives a flying <deleted> about that - it never even occurred to them.

Come on now? Migratory birds, wouldnt even register .000001 on the care scale here...whoops i started my reply before thoroughly reading you post..

8 hours ago, hobz said:

law enforcement is useless in thailand.

You just don't get it, do you...

Only morons complain about "law enforcement". They don't realize what would happen IF the law was enforced throughout the country in EVERY area.

Chill mate, would you like to live in Africa?

57 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:
10 hours ago, hobz said:

law enforcement is useless in thailand.

Only morons complain about "law enforcement". They don't realize what would happen IF the law was enforced throughout the country in EVERY area.

In the area I live the police want people to brake the law. They charge 500 baht per farm for each sugar farm burnt. Any one transporting the sugar is stopped if the sugar has signs of burning they also have to pay. Lets face it Thai police need people to brake laws, its how they get there money.

9 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

In the area I live the police want people to brake the law. They charge 500 baht per farm for each sugar farm burnt. Any one transporting the sugar is stopped if the sugar has signs of burning they also have to pay. Lets face it Thai police need people to brake laws, its how they get there money.

How is that a bad thing? I'm confused.

Very good the police charge every farmer and transporter of burned sugar farm/transport.

Just the other day I saw a machine harvesting a not burned field. That's the way to go

1 hour ago, Hupaponics said:

What an insult to call people morons.

1 hour ago, Hupaponics said:

Very good the police charge every farmer and transporter of burned sugar farm/transport.

Just the other day I saw a machine harvesting a not burned field. That's the way to go

It is illegal to burn a field at the moment, and any farmer who dose should be taken to court. But that would not provide the police with a income, so the police take money from the farmers to prevent the case going to court.

My wife's farther runs a sugar cutting operation so far this year he has cut approximately 70 farms (20-24 rai each). It is worth him paying the police 500 baht/farm as is would cost him much more in labour to cut a farm that had not been burnt. I think the court fine is 2500 baht and you go to prison if you continue to burn after the first conviction.

I looked into buying a second hand machine harvester capable of cutting 24 rai in a day. With import tax it was just over 5 million baht. The only large scale Machine I have seen is owned by the sugar factory and is used on farms who are indebted to the factory. Its just another way to screw the farmers leaving them with even less money.

The problem is every farmer is massively in debt, so they will always look for the cheapest option. Remember the deeply respected last king was a environmentalist and spent many hours on TV appealing to farmers to stop burning, and the farmers just continued to burn. Sugar is going the same way as rice, the farmers are screwed the do not care about pollution as that costs money.

2 hours ago, assayer said:

Those 64,000 masks are certainly a huge relief effort to the 2 million people who live in Chiang Mai

And what's better, the masks they're supposedly handing out -- who knows if they ever do --  are probably the cheap store kind that are worthless for PM2.5

Anyone living in Chiang Mai an the north in general knows how endemic this problem is and that it's never going to be solved in our life times unless something radical happens in the fabric of Thai society.

Where I live just about every villager is burning some pile of leaves or clearing their property of brush. The city workers cutting grass on the side of country roads burn the cut grass in the gutter which spreads to the surrounding forests. The monks in the temple burn garbage which catches the forests on fire. The hill tribe and various other villagers burn deep in the forests which you can see in rings of fire moving along the vistas at night. Random people actually stop on the sides of roads and burn the forest or piles of trash which accumulate over the months. All of this to the backdrop of signs posted by the government asking people not to burn.

If that wasn't bad enough the thing that really hurts is people I know and who are good middle class Thai's can't be bothered to care because it's not worth the trouble." Just calm down. There's nothing you can do. Just wait it'll get better. ". It's a plague of stupidity, malice and sloth that has no end in sight.

34 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Anyone living in Chiang Mai an the north in general knows how endemic this problem is and that it's never going to be solved in our life times unless something radical happens in the fabric of Thai society.

Where I live just about every villager is burning some pile of leaves or clearing their property of brush. The city workers cutting grass on the side of country roads burn the cut grass in the gutter which spreads to the surrounding forests. The monks in the temple burn garbage which catches the forests on fire. The hill tribe and various other villagers burn deep in the forests which you can see in rings of fire moving along the vistas at night. Random people actually stop on the sides of roads and burn the forest or piles of trash which accumulate over the months. All of this to the backdrop of signs posted by the government asking people not to burn.

If that wasn't bad enough the thing that really hurts is people I know and who are good middle class Thai's can't be bothered to care because it's not worth the trouble." Just calm down. There's nothing you can do. Just wait it'll get better. ". It's a plague of stupidity, malice and sloth that has no end in sight.

Right...and yet this is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things...

In my area, in Isaan, there is little sugar cane and a lot of rice.

Since they need to burn something, they burn the rice straw, which is totally useless...maybe they "like the smell of burning straw in the morning" (from the movie Apocalypse Tomorrow)

As for the garbage, they burn it, or rather a small part of it, simply because there is no garbage collection!

Having said that, fires are temporary, while poisoning is not!

And poisoning they do with abandon...

Everything that bother them is poisoned, especially whatever grows in their rice paddies, that is not rice.

The poison is so strong that almost no one wants to spray it, and yet they don't mind eating the rice harvested from these cesspool paddies.

The not so invisible result of all this poisoning is a major epidemic of cancer, which is obviously not the object of a lot of advertising.

It is amazing the number of young people around us who die of cancer...and I am talking about a population numbering in the hundreds, not in the millions.

Needless to say that foreign importers have long said "no thank you" to Isaan rice...

56 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Right...and yet this is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things...

In my area, in Isaan, there is little sugar cane and a lot of rice.

Since they need to burn something, they burn the rice straw, which is totally useless...maybe they "like the smell of burning straw in the morning" (from the movie Apocalypse Tomorrow)

As for the garbage, they burn it, or rather a small part of it, simply because there is no garbage collection!

Having said that, fires are temporary, while poisoning is not!

And poisoning they do with abandon...

Everything that bother them is poisoned, especially whatever grows in their rice paddies, that is not rice.

The poison is so strong that almost no one wants to spray it, and yet they don't mind eating the rice harvested from these cesspool paddies.

The not so invisible result of all this poisoning is a major epidemic of cancer, which is obviously not the object of a lot of advertising.

It is amazing the number of young people around us who die of cancer...and I am talking about a population numbering in the hundreds, not in the millions.

Needless to say that foreign importers have long said "no thank you" to Isaan rice...

I don’t disagree that the use of pesticides is dangerous but I do disagree the statement “ foreign importers say no thank you “ to Isaan rice.

Studies over the last few years have proved that the opisthorchiasis parasite found in raw fish is a major factor in liver cancer (Cholangiocarcinoma). This parasite is also found in the uncooked Koi Pla which is eaten in abundance in Issan. My mother in law was diagnosed 6 years ago with it, luckily surgery and chemo worked. She or the family have never touched the dish since. 

On 3/3/2018 at 11:26 AM, Tongjaw said:

Thanks Phon Thong, interesting site.  Looking at the world air quality it’s not just a Thailand and others in Asia with pollution.  London and many places in Europe are extremely high and unhealthy. 

Screenshot (63).png

On 3/2/2018 at 7:02 PM, Hupaponics said:

how rude. calling me a moron for simply stating a fact.

and then have the nerve to tell me to chill?? wow. I am chilling, dude. not so sure about you...

do I want law enforcement to enforce every area? no.

do I want them to protect citizens from actual danger? yes.

do I wanna live in Africa? where in Africa to be exact? what a moronic question.

On 3/2/2018 at 8:11 PM, mick220675 said:

On 3/2/2018 at 8:24 PM, Hupaponics said:

500 THB seems like a too small fine for this crime.

people are dying every year because of the direct effects of this (mostly elderly people, but still).

its unknown how many people die from lung cancer later on in life because of this..

fine should be high enough that it really hurts. its basic economics and human behavior.

On 3/2/2018 at 9:02 PM, SoilSpoil said:

What an insult to call people morons.

not only did he insult me, completly unprovoked. but at the same time he had the nerve to tell me to chill. hilarious dude.

trolling probably.

18 minutes ago, hobz said:

do I wanna live in Africa? where in Africa to be exact? what a moronic question.

Probably an American...for them Africa is one big country, close to North Korea...

Having said that, Morocco is quite alright and many Europeans chose to retire there.

South Sudan on the other hand...not so much...

On 03/03/2018 at 11:26 AM, Tongjaw said:

Thanks Phon Thong, interesting site.  Looking at the world air quality it’s not just a Thailand and others in Asia with pollution.  London and many places in Europe are extremely high and unhealthy. 

That's simply not true.  London, for instance, is around 30-90, with occasional peaks in to the 100's.  This is acceptable air quality.  It is not good, but in no way can it be said to be very high.

7 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

That's simply not true.  London, for instance, is around 30-90, with occasional peaks in to the 100's.  This is acceptable air quality.  It is not good, but in no way can it be said to be very high.

'Occasional peaks', I think you're absolutely right. - Quite another situation in Eastern Europe

(Poland, Slowakia, Czech Republic). Pic.1

Returning to the OP I will attach an interesting screenshot. Pic.2 - Near Lampang there is a lignite mine which produces 40,000 tons per day. I think this will be used in the Mae Moh power plant to produce 2,400MW. And some dust, sulfur gas, carbon dioxide etc.

image.png.9987cead72a07539a58d86a0f87b042b.png

image.png.9299e48abedf55a55fb06e1b310c0b87.png

Maps:   http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/map.php

March 07, 2018 - 19:00 (ICT)
The question is:
Where does the dirty air in the North comes from today?
(if all these maps are correct...)

May be the winds have changed or the power plant near Lampang used their filters?
To you who read this: please, stay 'alert'.
Btw, pink means 'Unhealthy' and light brown means 'Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups'.

image.png.f40f60ec61de8464fe2f532e71a38786.png

Archived