How to get a driving licence in Thailand

3 hours ago, Trentham said:

I turned up a to do the test and found I had neglected to bring one document. The lady who assisted me was very helpful so next day when I turned up with the correct paperwork I took her a box of chocolates. When all of that days applicants were called in to the examination room she called out to the examiner that I was her friend. I was called aside and given my licence with no test - oral or driving.:smile:

VIP-service, I presume...:wink:

A mountain gave birth to a mouse.

Less than four minutes are way to less to go into appropriate detail.

After this announcement of British Embassy cooperation with DLT I really expected more.

Edited by KhunBENQ

So according to the vid, just rock up to DLT with your old Thai licence due for renewal and thats it, no other documents required?

Mmm like to hear from someone who has recently done this??

On 3/2/2018 at 9:40 AM, Trentham said:

I turned up a to do the test and found I had neglected to bring one document. The lady who assisted me was very helpful so next day when I turned up with the correct paperwork I took her a box of chocolates. When all of that days applicants were called in to the examination room she called out to the examiner that I was her friend. I was called aside and given my licence with no test - oral or driving.:smile:

SO YOU SHOULD not BE ON THE ROAD.....!!!

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, Lokie said:

So according to the vid, just rock up to DLT with your old Thai licence due for renewal and thats it, no other documents required?

Mmm like to hear from someone who has recently done this??

Did mine a couple of days ago. Required is passport or ID. Proof of address, yellow book in my case.

Old D/Licenses. Fill in a form, just your name ID No: they do the rest. You will have to do a colour blind test, reaction time not asked for. Watch a film in Thai or as in my case watch it with English subtitles. Pay the amount 880bt for two licenses. Have photo taken. And they do the rest. Took just over an hour including watching the film. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pungdo said:

My 2nd 5 year runs out this week, what time did you head in there, first thing in the morning or after lunch ??

My local one shows the film twice a day. Once around 9.45am and another afternoon. I arrived around 9.30am, handed over paper work, took Colour blind test (Picture with 3 colours dots on it that the lady points at with a stick) Told them I wasn't going to watch film as I couldn't understand it. So they gave me a seat in their office and stuck it on a comp: with UK subtitles. Very accommodating my place.

N/B none to sure but they might want a Doctors form, that supposed to start on the 1st March. I did ask about same and they didn't seem to know anything about the new reg's. One of the reasons I went prior to the 1st. Saved on yet more agro. Might be a good idea to ask at your place first just in case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GMajor said:

How many days before license expires can one show up at LT ?

Sorry cant give an exact amount of days.

I went in 8th Feb. To find what I needed paper wise. Lady informed me, then said I could do it now if I wanted.

Had to decline as I was short of passport.

My D/Licences run out on the 14th April so at least two months.

3 hours ago, GMajor said:

Thanks, good to know. Which DLT offered that option?

I live in Kamphaeng Phet. Halfway between BKK and Chiang Mai. Used the local office.

Have just seen doing same in Pattaya took 3.5 hours, here just over an hour total.

• Like 1

My wife is currently getting her car license in Pattaya, from scratch after not renewing it for a couple of years. New requirements were introduced on 010318, new doc cert, more videos, more test questions.

She needed to get the "new" doctors certificate, (a couple more questions).Yesterday was all day watching videos, 8am-3pm. Today is all day doing the tests, driving in the morning and written in the afternoon, 8am-3pm.

It appears after the new requirements were introduced on 01/03/18, it now takes 2 full days.

17 hours ago, GMajor said:

How many days before license expires can one show up at LT ?

Three months in advance.

I would do that only if necessary for specific reasons (out of country etc.).

My "5yr" DL runs out on March 12, will go to DLT on March 13 and get a new license until March 12, 2024 (almost 6 years).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

She needed to get the "new" doctors certificate, (a couple more questions).

Can you provide details?

Where did she go and was there only an interview or any physical examination?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Can you provide details?

Where did she go and was there only an interview or any physical examination?

At a clinic at Jomtien, same as before you dont see a doctor or only briefly, a couple of questions about medical history. Weird questions like have you ever had surgery.

A couple of westerners getting certificate, the clinic was prepared and had the questions typed up in Russian, Chinese etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

At a clinic at Jomtien...

I did pay a visit to 2 clinics in Jomtien this week and none of them got the new forms yet. 

Could you post the name of that clinic please?

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

At a clinic at Jomtien, same as before you dont see a doctor or only briefly, a couple of questions about medical history.

Thanks for that.

I was asking because another member wrote an alarming post from Chiang Mai.

It seems to me that it depends on the clinic/doctor how much effort they put in.

On the other hand some offices don't seem to know yet at all.

Who wonders if you look at the short notice for that change.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 minutes ago, GMajor said:

I did pay a visit to 2 clinics in Jomtien this week and none of them got the new forms yet. 

Could you post the name of that clinic please?

Chanya Clinic, not far from the Mach Chanu statue, near late night burger stand.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thanks for that.

I was asking because another member wrote an alarming post from Chiang Mai.

And some offices don't seem to know yet at all.

Who wonders if you look at the short notice for that change.

Thats right as my wife got 2 certificates mid feb, one for car, one for bike, did bike before 01 march changes, then needed a new one for car as done after 01 march.

New cert still issued by the receptionist and only difference was a couple of medical history questions (and the price went up by 50 baht, lol)

(yes, she has been driving for years without either a car or bike license)

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Chanya Clinic, not far from the Mach Chanu statue, near late night burger stand.

Thanks much! Excellent service , motorbike and car forms filled in 10 minutes, 150 THB each. Blood pressure was taken, nothing else but funny questions. It was a breeze and receptionist had a nice smile too.

• 4 weeks later...

so to renew an inital 2 years Motorcycle and Auto DL, no paperwork to bring? no medical certificate? , just show up early to beat the cues ?

Last time I used the one out towards On Nut Sukhumwit

Renewed my 5 year motorcycle license on Wednesday at Chonburi,  (Pattaya) LTO, they do not require the new medical form for renewals

Even if you have the residence certificate from Immigration you should still bring a copy of your Passport face page and arrival stamp so you don't have to run out and get the copies made across the street

Color test by pointing out colors on a poster, depth perception test, but no reaction test.  They had the movie on a TV which was looped and continued to play while everyone went in and out to perform various functions.  I was in the back so couldn't tell if the movie had English subtitles 

In at 12:30 licensed issued a 15:20  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I enquired at the Land Transport Division Bangkok today. ‘ Information’ looked at my old license and in addition to passport copies she mentioned ‘embassy’ in English, my heart sank. I was holding up the queue and didn’t expect to understand any detail if I asked for it so does anyone know how the embassy is involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, tgeezer said:

looked at my old license and in addition to passport copies she mentioned ‘embassy’ in English

I guess she directs you to the embassy for a proof of residence?

As far as I know you could also get a proof of residence at Chaeng Wattana immigration but seemingly you have to wait weeks to get it?