How to get a driving licence in Thailand

Went to swap my UK license yesterday for a Thai one. They were closing within a few hours so told me to do the test online instead, which I will. The thing was she was asking me about what bikes I could ride as she didn't understand the category classes at first. It would then seem I may need two licenses - one for car and one for bike. I asked if there was anyway I could just have it all on the one instead of carrying two licenses around with me everywhere but she didn't seem to understand me at all. Does anyone know if this will be possible? Cheers.

Also, Ive been told the online test is a bit of a joke. Is there anything I need to do or should know before registering and doing it? Can you fail, if so what happens then?

Been driving for over 25 years and have picked up some habits Im sure but cant be any worse than what I see on the roads here on a daily basis, surely.

Looking into this a bit more I am not sure why she has referred me to the dlt-elearning site to complete tests online when I have just read that I dont need to do theory or practical tests. Just the reaction, peripheral vision etc. Surely these will all be done in person.

Dont want to register if its for the theory test in case they say I will just have to spend the 5 hours doing that now as I was misinformed.

Anyone clarify what exactly the dlt-elearning.com website tests are for? 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, tinot said:

Went to swap my UK license yesterday for a Thai one. They were closing within a few hours so told me to do the test online instead, which I will. The thing was she was asking me about what bikes I could ride as she didn't understand the category classes at first. It would then seem I may need two licenses - one for car and one for bike. I asked if there was anyway I could just have it all on the one instead of carrying two licenses around with me everywhere but she didn't seem to understand me at all. Does anyone know if this will be possible? Cheers.

The Thai Motorcycle & Car Licenses cannot be combined.

Regarding motorcycle license. The staff at the DLT do not understand the   Class & endorsements…

Thus, if they see the ‘outline’ of a scooter on your endorsements (reverse side on Uk license) they give you a full motorcycle license !!! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tinot said:

Looking into this a bit more I am not sure why she has referred me to the dlt-elearning site to complete tests online when I have just read that I dont need to do theory or practical tests. Just the reaction, peripheral vision etc. Surely these will all be done in person.

Dont want to register if its for the theory test in case they say I will just have to spend the 5 hours doing that now as I was misinformed.

Anyone clarify what exactly the dlt-elearning.com website tests are for? 

Cheers.

You are supposed to watch a video. 
Because of Covid you have to watch the vid online. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Thai Motorcycle & Car Licenses cannot be combined.

Regarding motorcycle license. The staff at the DLT do not understand the   Class & endorsements…

Thus, if they see the ‘outline’ of a scooter on your endorsements (reverse side on Uk license) they give you a full motorcycle license !!! 

Thanks mate. Thats what I was hoping. I only have CBT when it comes to bikes but raced MX for years as a kid. I just said any motorcycle when she asked.

Big bike time! ????

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ok. Great. Didn't want to to register and they then say "oh, you've registered now so you will have to complete theory and practical" etc etc. You know what its like. 

Thanks again!

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just registered for the DLT e-learning and its all in Thai - just looks like a renewal page or something. No videos or modules etc. 

Think I will just have to go back in next week. Took ages to get there as well. Another day wasted probably were they'll tell me something different. 

Upside - Wifes getting hers through driving school (as theres a 3 month wait) so should have my very own chauffeur soon anyway.

Need help, for the first time, in 25 years, I have mislaid my Thai drivers licence. It was issued in 2019. Unfortunately, I did not take a copy. Can anyone advise what paperwork do I need and do I need to do the test again? I do know, I will need to report it lost, with the police.  also, prob. a medical report  (piece of cake).  what about the Residence letter from IO.?  that would be a pain, as its a 250 km trip. Oddly enough, I have a colour photo copy of the IO letter issued in 2019. Maybe I can fudge the date.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2022 at 10:32 AM, tinot said:

Also, Ive been told the online test is a bit of a joke. Is there anything I need to do or should know before registering and doing it? Can you fail, if so what happens then?

Been driving for over 25 years and have picked up some habits Im sure but cant be any worse than what I see on the roads here on a daily basis, surely.

I did the online test last month. I can't remember anything on there that I didn't already know so by now hopefully you'll have done yours no trouble. One of the problems is that they've not used a very good translator so you could understand it easily if you had time to read it a couple of times but when you're trying to read quickly it's more difficult. They just need to pay for a proper translation or get it checked by an English speaker. So it'll stay the way it is. It would have been nice if they'd driven outside of Bangkok. They'd find it much more challenging upcountry.

As you drive the next day you do get the feeling you've been privileged to see a secret video with information those around you on the road have never seen.

Mine was the car video but I assume there's a different one for bikes. Or maybe not

• 2 weeks later...