Video: Renting a motorbike in Pattaya? Watch this first.....

webfact

Surreal............No surprise....Getting scary to drive around here, with the maniacs and no respec t for anybody nutcases. Just watched a mother driving her bike along 2nd. Rd., balancing a small baby on her right knee/arm, drive  and using her mobile with her left hand. Belongs jailed! MS>

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not know if it has been mentioned , but have you noticed non of them slowed down or stopped (given that they had time , inwhich they did ), due to their reasoning of being in the right 

Strange that all the criticism, teeth gnashing etc etc about how awful the system and procedures are and how wonderful things are back 'home' one thing is conveniently forgotten.

The people hiring the bikes are from good old back home.

That some have no experience, no license and no insurance is the fault of the thais?????

Doesnt that take the cake.

This thread doesn't touch the sides with me as already well used to the carnage.  I used to frequent Thong Lor and was witnessing at least two / three serious accidents a day and that was in relatively slow traffic.  

On 3/2/2018 at 12:20 PM, stament said:

Quite a few of those accidents are the fault of motorbike drivers who are just plain dumb and as a motorbike drivers should be more careful, hence the accidents were easily preventable on their part.

The one @3.00 is truly shocking the motorbike passengers flew up in the air a long way from the accident itself. That should be a warning to all.

After seeing the original post  I've banned my wife from driving a motorbike in CM. She's only allowed to drive in the village from now on ??

But she owns your house and land. But you do not own her.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:33 PM, Expatthailover said:

Strange that all the criticism, teeth gnashing etc etc about how awful the system and procedures are and how wonderful things are back 'home' one thing is conveniently forgotten.

The people hiring the bikes are from good old back home.

That some have no experience, no license and no insurance is the fault of the thais?????

Doesnt that take the cake.

Absolutely the fault of the Thai authorities. In the good old USA your ass would never be allowed to rent a bike without license and insurance. Not in any of the 50 states. A quick review of the carnage here shows why. Add up all the fines levied for no license, no helmet and backhands from the rental businesses and you may have your motive. Most of this death and maiming could be curtailed by the stroke of the pin tomorrow.

14 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Absolutely the fault of the Thai authorities. In the good old USA your ass would never be allowed to rent a bike without license and insurance. Not in any of the 50 states. A quick review of the carnage here shows why. Add up all the fines levied for no license, no helmet and backhands from the rental businesses and you may have your motive. Most of this death and maiming could be curtailed by the stroke of the pin tomorrow.

A "pin" will do nothing.

Why the fault of Thai authorities??

The headline here is misleading attached to the video as 95%, maybe 100% of those people in the videos are Thais, not tourists renting bikes.  Looked like many were taxis.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A "pin" will do nothing.

Why the fault of Thai authorities??

The headline here is misleading attached to the video as 95%, maybe 100% of those people in the videos are Thais, not tourists renting bikes.  Looked like many were taxis.

That would depend on where you stick the pin, but they do say the pen is mightier than the sword

Why the fault of the Thai authorities 55555555 that question is best treated as a joke and no I am not going to explain it to you for love nor money

The headline is not misleading at all, it simply suggests that if you intend to rent a moto then take a butchers at this so you will at least have some idea what could be coming down your way

5 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

That would depend on where you stick the pin, but they do say the pen is mightier than the sword

Why the fault of the Thai authorities 55555555 that question is best treated as a joke and no I am not going to explain it to you for love nor money

The headline is not misleading at all, it simply suggests that if you intend to rent a moto then take a butchers at this so you will at least have some idea what could be coming down your way

Sure.  It is Russian roulette trust me I am here on a motorbike everyday. Keep your head on a swivel.

But, the issues with the accidents and deaths mostly have little to do with renting to tourists.

Actually, some defensive driving would have helped in a few of those videos. I guess the authorities can provide better driver training but there is a free for all mind set here that may be difficult to change.

But, if someone decides to ram a bus up your butt as you sit at an intersection, no prayer God help you.

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sure.  It is Russian roulette trust me I am here on a motorbike everyday. Keep your head on a swivel.

But, the issues with the accidents and deaths mostly have little to do with renting to tourists.

Actually, some defensive driving would have helped in a few of those videos. I guess the authorities can provide better driver training but there is a free for all mind set here that may be difficult to change.

But, if someone decides to ram a bus up your butt as you sit at an intersection, no prayer God help you.

No argument with any of that its just a matter of being forewarned and hopefully you stay lucky it cant do any harm

Before I go I just need to say that I hope the motorcylist who hit the white bus dead center was not too shook up but I am still giggling about it

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, gary c said:

well if you put people with the mental capacity of a boiled potato in charge of a vehicle what do you expect?

why you want to bring my gf into this?

1 minute ago, oldlakey said:

No argument with any of that its just a matter of being forewarned and hopefully you stay lucky it cant do any harm

Before I go I just need to say that I hope the motorcylist who hit the white bus dead center was not too shook up but I am still giggling about it

Yes, trust me I am very cautious everyday.  Some close calls but so far, so good.

PS:  At intersections with a light stop now, I go way to the side.  Either way.  

When the light changes, I hang back for a few.  Seems like too many red light runners here in a hurry.

Patience can be a possible life saver. Fingers crossed....

Saw a good clueless example just today. Mom, dad and two young kids on a bike. All wearing surgical masks to avoid germs but no helmets to avoid smashing brains on roadway, bus, curb, power pole etc. Everyone has their priorities.

On 3/2/2018 at 9:16 AM, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

There is just no hope for any improvements here, when they don't stop for red lights. Are they lacking basic human survival instincts or are they just too stupid???

The problem is with enforcement, not the rules themselves. Despite many accidents shown caused by cars running red lights, most of them sneak through without incident. People en mass don't self-regulate their behaviour - if they can get away with breaking the law, they do. Why else did they introduce red light and speed cameras in most developed nations? Few people run red lights and speed because they are afraid to get hefty fines, not because they are thinking of the welfare of their fellow citizens.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, trust me I am very cautious everyday.  Some close calls but so far, so good.

When the light changes, I hang back for a few.  Seems like too many red light runners here in a hurry.

Sorry to tell you odds are not in your favor

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Red light jumpers are often the fastest vehicles on the road as they are speeding to make the light.

You have to treat all intersections as uncontrolled intersections and look for traffic left and right before proceeding. Don't rely on a "hold back a few seconds" technique, but use your eyes and look at what's coming your way.

This video is an eye-opener. I'm usually fairly careful at intersections, but now I'm going to redouble my efforts to stay alive.

30 minutes ago, tropo said:

Red light jumpers are often the fastest vehicles on the road as they are speeding to make the light.

You have to treat all intersections as uncontrolled intersections and look for traffic left and right before proceeding. Don't rely on a "hold back a few seconds" technique, but use your eyes and look at what's coming your way.

This video is an eye-opener. I'm usually fairly careful at intersections, but now I'm going to redouble my efforts to stay alive.

Right on good advice from you.....

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Right on good advice from you.....

Riding a moto here is like playing pinball, you being one of a dozen balls in play at one time. Doesn't seem nearly as insane when your riding as it is watching videos but it is. Just because it is so damn convenient here I do it even though I know it is about the most dangerous thing I can do.

On 5/6/2018 at 5:35 PM, JAZZDOG said:

Mom, dad and two young kids on a bike. All wearing surgical masks to avoid germs but no helmets to avoid smashing brains

Because they are protected by Buddha, nothing bad will happen to them . No need for helmets. Only stupid farang think too much .  Masks is more important , pollution you know. 

• 2 weeks later...

You’ve got to put it in perspective.

90% of these incidents were due to incompetence.

People that shouldn't be in control of a vehicle.

The rest are just maniacs, that don’t understand they are in control of a lethal weapon, greed, selfishness, time mismanagement all play a role in this carnage.

I've driven here for 15 years, been driving in most of the 40 countries Ive visited.

Doesn't matter where on the planet you drive

BE AWARE, DON’T RUN LIGHTS, give yourself plenty of time, stay cool.

I know we are doomed, a small majority can act in this way.

KEEP IT PROFESSIONAL

On 3/2/2018 at 3:53 AM, jackbox said:

But if you add a DOT sticker to the back doesn't that make it work better??? Seen helmets here with DOT stickers that would never pass the tortue test a true DOT approved helmet must pass.

No, no, no.  The DOT sticker is there for the convenience of the ambulance crews.  They peel it off and stick it on the forehead of the victim.  It stands for "Dead On Tarmac".  Makes sorting at the morgue easier.  No autopsy required.

Like Scrooge said are there no mental hospitals? More to decrease the moron population or something like that. I myself came off my bike to avoid an imminent collision with a woman who exited a garage on my left and crossed 3 lanes of a dual carriageway with not a jot for oncoming traffic. Complete morons. Stupid U turns are a major cause of accidents. Why arent there more roundabouts?, very much  safer!

3 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

Like Scrooge said are there no mental hospitals? More to decrease the moron population or something like that. I myself came off my bike to Void an imminent collision with a woman who exited a garage on my left and crossed 3 lanes of a dual carriageway with not a jot for oncoming traffic. Complete morons. Stupid U turns are a major cause of accidents. Why arent tbere more roundabouts?, very much  safer!

Is that it??

That happens to me several times a day and I have been here for several years.

It is, what it is.  If someone hates the "morons" here, then don't go out.

Nothing is going to change.  In fact it will just get worse over time.

Love it, or leave it...

• 7 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

You are looking at death, injury and you twits want to make snide comments.  It is so easy to make fun of these people, isn't it.  Damn, I get disgusted by the attitudes of so many farangs sometimes.

I am also very disgusted at how these people will try to kill me on the road to save some 5 seconds or so to go nowhere...

Archived