Video: Renting a motorbike in Pattaya? Watch this first.....

webfact

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The quickest and easiest way to reduce accidents in Thailand is to stop rental companies from renting to persons without the correct licence. I seen a group of Asian tourists on about six motorcycles travel on Siam country club road last week. It was obvious from the difficulty they had just keeping the bike upright that they had never been in control of a motorcycle before. These guys were a danger to themselves and others . In the uk it is illegal for a rental company to rent a vehicle to someone without the correct documentation, I’m not sure about Thai law but it should be the law here also .

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

I know some of it was painful just to watch .. And Thailand is hosting a Motogp Grand Prix later this year .!.!

Do you think Mr.Redbull will show up for the event..?And if the Goverment would show some balls they would say that any stickers whith Redbull on the cars will be forbidden,guess not.

49 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I laugh at the sheer stupidity of it. All avoidable if one scintilla of common sense was used. I don't take any pleasure from the thought of ruined lives either.

"all avoidably" tell that to the bikers that got rammed up the back. Others made errors of judgement which will last with them for ever. Others were just sitting on the back with no control over events. To see TV members seeing this as a laugh ... well, i truly despair.

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

A Scandinavian friend told me the sad story of two of his friends. While waiting at a red light, a car plowed into them from behind. One was killed and the other had catastrophic injuries. I don't doubt there are many such stories of foreigners being killed or severely injured.

And many more Thais 

5 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

"all avoidably" tell that to the bikers that got rammed up the back. Others made errors of judgement which will last with them for ever. Others were just sitting on the back with no control over events. To see TV members seeing this as a laugh ... well, i truly despair.

The bottom line is that you are literally dicing with death by riding a bike in Thailand. There are members here who love to blame motorbike accidents on car drivers, but as the video shows 90% of accidents are caused by stupidity on the part of bike riders.

24 minutes ago, pi2005ni said:

The quickest and easiest way to reduce accidents in Thailand is to stop rental companies from renting to persons without the correct licence. I seen a group of Asian tourists on about six motorcycles travel on Siam country club road last week. It was obvious from the difficulty they had just keeping the bike upright that they had never been in control of a motorcycle before. These guys were a danger to themselves and others . In the uk it is illegal for a rental company to rent a vehicle to someone without the correct documentation, I’m not sure about Thai law but it should be the law here also .

Bike rentals would only account for a very small percentage of bike accidents. I doubt if it would reduce the road toll by much at all.

11 minutes ago, hobobo said:

One of the most entertaining videos on TV in a long while. Going back to the headline, I think all bike renters should be made to watch the video 3 times before the keys are handed to them.

I think they should all have helmet cams for "even better"   coverage.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The bottom line is that you are literally dicing with death by riding a bike in Thailand. There are members here who love to blame motorbike accidents on car drivers, but as the video shows 90% of accidents are caused by stupidity on the part of bike riders.

and the other 90% on car/truck/bus..........ok THAI DRIVERS, Ill need to check my figures on the  calculator  though

You have to admit that a lot of these accidents are the fault of the morons on the motorbikes - amazing to see Darwinian theory put into practice. Nice of them to show us immediate replays of the abundant stupidity here on the Thai roads.

Government are ordering agencies to co-operate to reduce Song Kran death toll - Good luck with that one, you are not dealing with normal rational thinking human beings here in many cases, they really are morons.

It was also quite an eyeopener to see just how high and far people can actually fly when hit with a heavy object at the right speed.

I was out on my motorbike yesterday, 2  people at different U  turns  decided it would be good  fun to  pull out on me even though hi beam was on, even after sounding horn continuously they did not stop or slow  down just kept  going, they ARE unbelievably thick as S H I T!!

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Bike rentals would only account for a very small percentage of bike accidents. I doubt if it would reduce the road toll by much at all.

Agree on that.

I don't know the exact number, but about 15'000 dead motorcycle riders a year.

Tourists account for a real small fraction of that.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The bottom line is that motorcycle transport is an intrinsic part of Thai life. I would go as far as to say it is essential to the way Thailand operates. It is not a life style choice as you seem to be suggesting. "dicing with death riding a motorcycle" showing complete ignorance and laughing at road victims .. I despair 

I can understand the city wanting bike renters to be informed but I would put their intelligence a bit higher than the people in these videos. The only real problem I see with Tourist on rented bikes is many think they have the whole lane when on a bike you only have your own "line" not the entire lane.

I would make this mandatory viewing for thai girlfriends and kids coming of age and have them explain how they think each accident was caused. 

I will never forget the first time a flying pickup ran a very late red light and almost took me out, since then I always wait and look after going on a green light.

The U.S. Embassy says the most common cause of injury and death to U.S. citizens in Thailand is motorcycle accidents. Lots of moron tourists on motos who don't have experience riding them back home. Plus some get on the wrong moto taxi. It is always playing a game of chance with your life. After seeing this video, I am thankful I no longer have my moto and was able to get a car. But when I did have it for over eight years I was much more alert and careful then the idiots in this video. 

Archived