Video: Renting a motorbike in Pattaya? Watch this first.....

webfact

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, smedly said:

speeding - ignoring traffic lights - using mobile devices and just blatant stupidity, all breaking the law at will because there is no law enforcement, the police believe their job is to clean up the carnage after it happens and charge people ..................... prevention (is there even a Thai word) and proactive law enforcement.........before it happens, simple concept - why don't they get it ?

Congrats Smedly old chap,

Seems you are the first to highlight this side of the madness. Zero law enforcement contributes to the majority of these accidents IMO.

Get away with it once with no reprimand and they will do it again and again until it ends in tears.

All very well having the video coverage for the wash-up but that won't help the victims of the carnage after the fact.

Police need to be proactive, simple as that. Or, as a minimum, trained to know the rules of the road without financial incentive being there.

I know, I know......................

8 minutes ago, tandor said:

..notice how 99% of those wearing helmets lose them..either just sitting atop their scones or not properly adjusted...RIP those who probably/may have died.

Thais rarely use the strap. I have never seen a RTP officer who used the strap. The most ridiculous is when you see someone with a full face helmet just sitting on the top of their head like a cap. Many Thais also hate helmets. At night when no cops are around they don't use them and often I see them taking them off and holding them when they turn from main streets onto sois. They don't seem to understand the helmet is to protect their head from being smashed open.

9 minutes ago, tandor said:

..notice how 99% of those wearing helmets lose them..either just sitting atop their scones or not properly adjusted...RIP those who probably/may have died.

Even properly adjusted the 2-3 mm soft plastic helmets most Thai drivers use are useless.

Just now, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Even properly adjusted the 2-3 mm soft plastic helmets most Thai drivers use are useless.

But if you add a DOT sticker to the back doesn't that make it work better??? Seen helmets here with DOT stickers that would never pass the tortue test a true DOT approved helmet must pass.

Make your cringe... dear oh dear!

One even had a child sandwiched in what looked like the mum and dad.. no helmets..

what more can be said, nothing seems to stop people here putting their lives in great danger.

8 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Congrats Smedly old chap,

Seems you are the first to highlight this side of the madness. Zero law enforcement contributes to the majority of these accidents IMO.

Get away with it once with no reprimand and they will do it again and again until it ends in tears.

All very well having the video coverage for the wash-up but that won't help the victims of the carnage after the fact.

Police need to be proactive, simple as that. Or, as a minimum, trained to know the rules of the road without financial incentive being there.

I know, I know......................

yes indeed, driving here is a free for all as it would be in any country were traffic laws are not enforced by police - it would be exactly the same in the UK

I believe it is a training issue, the police are simply not trained to actively enforce the law

It's a donkey derby were people just drive however they feel like routinely breaking the law simply because they can with no consequences, the roads here are literally lawless

Take the average Thai driver to the UK and I guarantee they would not be driving the way they drive here because they know they would not get away with it. 

7 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

I know some of it was painful just to watch .. And Thailand is hosting a Motogp Grand Prix later this year .!.!

What has that got to do with anything?

Not just Pattaya, but today in Khon Keen some lottery(or drunk)guy, who looked no younger than 70, pulled out in front of me with what looked like his grand daughter on the back. If it wasn't for my radar and auto braking system he could have been hit. 

I have a m/c but would never drive it in a city, apart from Sunday. Seen so many deaths over the years.

2 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Thais only have a crash helmet on to keep the sun or rain off them,

no point in doing the strap up.

No point in showing it on tv,  it will only be  entertainment for them,

to laugh at there fellow citizens,  bad luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only thing that matters is,  money,    so hit them hard in the pocket and you will get there attention. 

Remember Money Number One. in Thailand. :thumbsup:

Just saying :jap:

That should read Thais in Pattaya. Go to the real Thailand and meet many good honest people.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

................... prevention (is there even a Thai word) and proactive law enforcement.........before it happens, simple concept - why don't they get it ?

Are you saying you live in Thailand and don't have a dictionary?

A few year back when I was renewing my license, I had to watch a very similar video. These footage do no good just a after thought and obstacle to them getting a license. As soon as they get out the door it is the same stuff. 

It comes down to two things which have been always been at their finger tips,  Education and Enforcement and their only enforcement are road checks which account for only 1% at best. Education through Enforcement is 24/7  365 days a year.

A condensate of human stupidity resulting in the application of the Darwin Law. In several cases those idiots do not deserve any pity or compassion, mother nature has provided their auto-elimination due to lack of intelligence.

After seeing some stupid driving maybe goverment needs to put up rail barriers like at train stops 

That stops traffic and only open up once your turn to go throw.

Or maybe just make it so motor bike riders are the only person on bikes 

Or just ban everyone from driving and put more buses on

Amazing footage. Notice how many of the people riding motorbikes were NOT wearing helmets. You have to be either incredibly careless, naive, ignorant, or brave to get onto the roads here without a high quality helmet. Why take the risk? I also noticed that quite a few of the people riding the bikes, who were hit here were not looking at oncoming traffic (incredibly common here) or were being quite reckless and taking real chances. Of course there are a fair share of nutters in the cars and trucks who caused the accidents too.

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

So did the people who believed they could fly at 2:50 survive?  I think that is not survivable !  

Look at the video , they were both wearing helmets (BIG C 300 baht )  that came off in the air!  How stupid is that ?  

At least buy a decent helmet strapped on , would probably not help in this case. 

Most of these accidents are avoidable with some defensive driving skills. Hard to find in Thailand. 

I had to stop watching the video after about the 3 minute mark when people began flying towards the camera, it sent a nasty sensation down my spine, not nice.

The only way I would get on a motorbike here is if I was wearing an Iron Man suit, but then again, if I had one of those I could fly so the bike would be redundant :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

Sad to say, because so many serious accidents, but this might be a comedy hit at Cannes Film Festival. Just a bunch of morons with no sense at all in traffic.

Regarding the choice of music, it will in many cases be a good choice of R Kelly with I Believe I can Fly.

Asian clips seem to be the mainstay for keeping liveleak up to date.

I can hear sirens as i type; and have seen 1x motionless body on the road here (Samui) @ 11am.

Archived