108 turtle eggs found on Lek Beach, Similan

snoop1130

108 turtle eggs found on Lek Beach, Similan

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

image_6483441-2-1021x580.jpg

The Chief of Mu Ko Similan National Park in Kura Buri District, Phang Nga, has revealed today (March 2) that the national park officers found the tracks of turtles from the water to the beach area. After tracking down the path, the team found 108 turtle eggs buried under the sand.

The eggs have been found on Had Lek on Koh Miang. The type of turtle hasn’t yet been specified. However, the eggs have been removed to a safe place for hatching.

“It is a very good news to see sea turtles laying eggs on Koh Miang after a very long time. We have a small sea turtle station featuring 3 ponds for nursing the babies with signs for the visitors to study and see real sea turtles. After 9 months, we usually release them back to the sea,” said the Chief.

Full Story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/108-turtle-eggs-found-lek-beach-similan

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-3-2

Getting  past all the predators waiting for the hatchlings, only to swim into the polluted ocean, plus the warmer temperatures during incubation giving birth to more females than males, this natural phenomenon,  will fade away quicker if man does not intervene with the removal of the eggs,

"give me a dozen females and 3 dozen males please"

I sincerely  doubt about their survival, since they WILL NOT KNOW where they hatched, they will not know where to lay their eggs when mature. Since they will hatch in a box, then fed in a tank and then released...

This is a wrong action witch rather disturbs the natural way.

Just an alibi to say that "we save the turtles"!

They have great conditions here in Thailand since they don't have predators (seagulls) here.

We see every year little turtles in the mangroves of Ko Lanta and we don't have any "protect the turtles nurseries" here!!

My Salt & Pepper

I'm not sure how they associate the beach to come back?  But I assume the biologists know how to do.  I just watched a national geographic show and it said hatchling mortality was like 99%  or I have read 1/1000 survive so if they get 80-90% survival rate till 9 months that's a big help for a struggling species. 

21 hours ago, Pesche said:

I sincerely  doubt about their survival, since they WILL NOT KNOW where they hatched, they will not know where to lay their eggs when mature. Since they will hatch in a box, then fed in a tank and then released...

This is a wrong action witch rather disturbs the natural way.

Just an alibi to say that "we save the turtles"!

They have great conditions here in Thailand since they don't have predators (seagulls) here.

We see every year little turtles in the mangroves of Ko Lanta and we don't have any "protect the turtles nurseries" here!!

My Salt & Pepper

So, according to you it´s much better that people step on them or something else happens to prevent them from increasing the turtle population. Good thinking! Thanks! We really need more people with your liberal way of looking at life.

Archived