Bangkok - Hua Hin by scooter

nb1984

Hi all,

I have a motorbike/scooter and live in Bangkok and I'm familiar with riding in the city. I'm thinking of riding down to Hua Hin as it's not that far and I'll take it slow. Has anyone done it? I know some of the roads/motorways have crazy drivers speeding around and riding a scooter is dangerous anyway but is making the journey any more dangerous than driving around Bangkok? I'd probably go early morning to avoid the weekend evening drink drivers. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

It's basically a death wish waiting riding a bike along Phetkasem rd down south. The number of very fast vehicles, large trucks and poorly designed sections of road ensure that the are numerous accidents daily. I've driven this a bunch of times over the years (in fact doing it on Monday morn), always driving very defensively and expecting the worst. I always come across accidents each and every time, and see many near misses.

One positive is that the 2 new U-turns that have been built on Rama 2 past Samut Songkhram are much, much safer. Numerous other U-turns along this stretch still make that section very hazardous. 

Suggest that you avoid Rama 2 and cut through from west Bangkok and then either take back roads on the west side of Phetkasem rd and meander slowly down south OR put your scooter on the train if you want it down there. 

21 minutes ago, saakura said:

As you seem to have some experience of riding on Bangkok roads, it should be easier than that. Just keep to the extreme left and go slow, should be ok. 

Or keep to the extreme right and open that throttle all the way !!

get a map, Around smart samut songkram, road number 2021, you can turn off and hug the coast which will bring you out around cha-am.

This will cut a lot of highway and fast traffic if your route.

It is a bit slower however on a scooter it will be much more enjoyable.

Of course it's way more dangerous than Bangkok. Most accidents in Bangkok are at slow speed, if you drive 30km/h and have an accident you will most likely get away with scratches and maybe broken bones, but you have a good chance to survive it. If you have an accident at 100km/h on the highway it's over.

I did drive there several times, wouldn't consider it more dangerous than any other highway in Thailand. Yes, many stupid people, you have to pay 100% attention to the road and everything around you.

Ride your bike down there look at a good map and really not google. With a good map you can see the whole route at one look and gives a better prespective where you need to go. Then use google or even google street scene for some detail. I have ridden my scooter all over Thailand from Chiang Mai to Pats, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, numerous trips to Kanchanaburi from CM, your trip is only as dangerous as you make it

14 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

It's basically a death wish waiting riding a bike along Phetkasem rd down south. The number of very fast vehicles, large trucks and poorly designed sections of road ensure that the are numerous accidents daily. I've driven this a bunch of times over the years (in fact doing it on Monday morn), always driving very defensively and expecting the worst. I always come across accidents each and every time, and see many near misses.

One positive is that the 2 new U-turns that have been built on Rama 2 past Samut Songkhram are much, much safer. Numerous other U-turns along this stretch still make that section very hazardous. 

Suggest that you avoid Rama 2 and cut through from west Bangkok and then either take back roads on the west side of Phetkasem rd and meander slowly down south OR put your scooter on the train if you want it down there. 

I also strongly advise you not to ride in the dark, the reasons are very obvious.:post-4641-1156693976:

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Of course it's way more dangerous than Bangkok. Most accidents in Bangkok are at slow speed, if you drive 30km/h and have an accident you will most likely get away with scratches and maybe broken bones, but you have a good chance to survive it. If you have an accident at 100km/h on the highway it's over.

I did drive there several times, wouldn't consider it more dangerous than any other highway in Thailand. Yes, many stupid people, you have to pay 100% attention to the road and everything around you.

Sounds like a really enjoyable experience , not !  

Drove from Pattaya to Phuket through HuaHin. Theres no problem to drive that way. Just have to know that there will be bikes coming against you as usual. And watch for the big holes in the roads that will force you to steer away. Thats when you need to know if theres some vehicles passing you. Its a short drive anyway.

Just drive slow and on the left shoulder, you'll be fine. I've been driving my scooter all over Thailand for 15 years. Im just very cautious and aware while driving. Road from Bangkok to hua hin is not any worse than bangkok to pattaya. Ive done the later many times.

13 hours ago, jerojero said:

Deathwish. A fool and his life are often soon departed. Good luck, see you at your funeral.

Yes, best to live in a safety bubble without adventure. 

Super muppet.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:16 AM, nb1984 said:

Any advice appreciated.

Take bus.

I’m sure you are 100% careful and real good biker, but what about those blind, drunk, under influes or all those who “do enything behind the wheel but driving”.

To me even going to 7-11 by a scooter is risky. 

Take a look at safest travelling options, flying is the safest.

until you have experienced it you will not understand how worthless your life is to a thai trying to complete their journey.  Your life and the life of any children are nothing to the man who wants to take an illegal u turn to get that parking spot for 7 11, I could go on.

and most importantly remember a polite wai before driving off will not pay the medical required for that broken leg, foot, rib automobile.

the other posters here know. and are posting good advice.

why would any one use anything without the minimal amount of protection provided by a car chassi.

3 hours ago, 3stan said:

Just drive slow and on the left shoulder, you'll be fine. I've been driving my scooter all over Thailand for 15 years. Im just very cautious and aware while driving. Road from Bangkok to hua hin is not any worse than bangkok to pattaya. Ive done the later many times.

left shoulder is fine just avoid the counter current drivers, those that pull out without looking, those that look and pull out regardless, 

oh also look out for emergency phone answering as people pull over while madly pressing buttons.

any driver must have experienced this

Jesus Christ some of the so called advice here is some of you people are complete idiots. I have riden my bike and driven my car all over Thailand and even to Hau Hin this over a 8 year period and I have only seen maybe 5 accidents in all that time. The couple of accidents I have had were my own fault. If you reall do not have good advice shut up because what you are saying is just your own imagination. I drove the from BKK to Kanchanaburi about 3 weeks ago on the same highway he will be traveling on and I didn't see one accident.

He will be fine and not because of some of the crazy advice from no nothings posting here.

3 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Jesus Christ some of the so called advice here is some of you people are complete idiots. I have riden my bike and driven my car all over Thailand and even to Hau Hin this over a 8 year period and I have only seen maybe 5 accidents in all that time. The couple of accidents I have had were my own fault. If you reall do not have good advice shut up because what you are saying is just your own imagination. I drove the from BKK to Kanchanaburi about 3 weeks ago on the same highway he will be traveling on and I didn't see one accident.

He will be fine and not because of some of the crazy advice from no nothings posting here.

I'm all with you mate. 

Those stupid comments here are written by people that shouldn't  be on the road in the first place. 

If you are experienced driver it's not that bad driving here, actually it's quite fun. 

Enjoy the trip 

36 minutes ago, manchega said:

Take a look at safest travelling options, flying is the safest.

until you have experienced it you will not understand how worthless your life is to a thai trying to complete their journey.  Your life and the life of any children are nothing to the man who wants to take an illegal u turn to get that parking spot for 7 11, I could go on.

and most importantly remember a polite wai before driving off will not pay the medical required for that broken leg, foot, rib automobile.

the other posters here know. and are posting good advice.

why would any one use anything without the minimal amount of protection provided by a car chassi.

Why would anyone sit in car if they had the option to explore the country by motorbike?

23 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I have ridden my PCX from Pattaya up to North Laos and the Chinese border, Mae Hong Son loop, Kanchanaburi, Umpang...........great fun to be had.

The advice from people who don't ride, or get out and explore should be ignored.

39 minutes ago, moe666 said:

No need to abuse people

4 hours ago, Hupaponics said:

I'm all with you mate. 

Those stupid comments here are written by people that shouldn't  be on the road in the first place. 

If you are experienced driver it's not that bad driving here, actually it's quite fun. 

Enjoy the trip 

obviously not that experienced.  for that you need to experience the oh where did that come from experience as you get taken out at the red light by a fellow biker that don't want to stop.

it is the voice of experience after all that I am providing.

yes you can deal with what you can see in front of you, and obeying common sense.

but what about the other driver? the one you expect to use the breaks if you are stopped and waiting to make your turn? or the one you expect to use the breaks at the red light ? or the one that you expect to not make the turn when they see you coming on the dominant road ( the one that by thai law would see you win the civil or criminal case in court)?

when you have experienced these things, then you can be the voice of experience talking about stupid comments 

Archived