Applicant for driving licence must show medical certificate

rooster59

Applicant for driving licence must show medical certificate

traffic.jpg

The new transport regulation requiring applicants for driver’s licence to show medical certificate has taken effect on March 1.

According to the director of the Department of Land Transport Mr Sanith Phromwong, from March 1 onward, driving licence applicants are required to submit medical certificate together with their applications.

He said this was to verify that the applicants are physically and mentally fit to handle motor vehicles without endangering other motorists.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/applicant-driving-licence-must-show-medical-certificate/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-03

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At one time they used to ask for medical certificate, the last license i got a couple of years ago they gave me back MC, said no need!

If they make common sense a requisite for a driving license there will be a lot of refusals!  :shock1:

Just got my Thai license last week,  medical certificate a must, 50 baht signed by Doctors Receptionist. Just another piece of paper to add to the forests consumed every day in Thailand.

Oh, sure... for 50 Baht pretty much any neighborhood clinic is going to declare anybody entirely physically and mentally fit. These certificates are not worth the paper they're printed on - and everyone knows it.

If real tests took place, half of the population would be unable to obtain a driving permit at all.

28 minutes ago, TConthePC said:

I got my Thai driving licence last November and a medical certificate was required too. No doubt some test centres have been neglecting to ask for one as they don't know their own laws.

First time requires it.

Renewal does not. 

I think they know their own law.

28 minutes ago, YTP said:

First time requires it.

Renewal does not. 

I'm interested in you saying renewal does not require a medical certificate?

Have you seen some information elsewhere about this, as the news article above doesn't seem to state clearly either way - not to my way of thinking.

41 minutes ago, YTP said:

First time requires it.

Renewal does not. 

It has been required from me, at least, at Cha Am on every issue (my first 1 year, my 2nd one year and my first 5 year) to date. First issue is 2 year now, not 1, but my GF and her son both passed their tests last month, and both required medical certs for Pranburi. They were also advised by staff (they did the test at an independent facility in Hua Hin) to get it issued before the new requirement, as it was going to be stricter from 1 march. Both picked up their 2 years last week.

Just now, Boon Mee said:

Renewed my 5 year driving license a few weeks ago and no medical certificate was required. The hour long safety video was though 

Yes - talk about inconsistency - I have *never* had to watch a video, even though I did the bike test here. The car test they gave me on production of my UK licence, with no test or questions.

Went for medical exam a few years back, receptionist asked what I wanted, said need a Medical Certificate for Driver Licence.

Ok, she says, take a seat..

5 minutes later, she calls me to counter, hands over Certificate, 100B thanks..

Did not sight a Dr., examined by no one, walked out with Medical Certificate.... great system!! 

Hope system's improved....

Once again, poor quality article by Thai PBS ....Doesn't state if applies to all applicants, both renewals & new licences or

just new licences??  

I agree with YTP.

First time need medical cert but not needed for renewals.

I needed it first time, then renewed on Xmas day 2017 and i knew I did not need it and did not get one. Sure enough I did not need one.

However, though this has been the case, it may now have changed as of 1st March and so now perhaps is required for renewals as well.

The first new rule should be a statement which, when violated, causes the insurer NOT to pay claim.

"I (name and Id number)  Hereby declare NOT to drink and drive"

Violations when caught is a walk home , impounding the vehicle for a week and a 1000 bath fine.

Then they need to buy a medical certificate@ 50 bath.

Simple .

Ages ago my initial one-year licenses (auto and motorcycle) required a medical certificate. 30-ish baht, Doctor did nothing except sign the paper.

My first five-year renewal(s) again, ~ 6 years ago, required a medical certificate. At another place, the Doctor did check my BP and ask about my medical history.

My second five-year renewals, a few months ago, did not require a medical certificate.

Unless they're going to do some sort of in-depth testing, it almost seems like a farce?

As most of the excuses (when in fact they jam the wrong pedal) for accidents here involve a "fit" maybe just use a strobe at the DLT to try and induce a seizure?

Archived