Video replays set to be used at World Cup after IFAB approval

rooster59

Video replays set to be used at World Cup after IFAB approval

By Brian Homewood

800x800 (3).jpg

Soccer Football - FA Cup Fifth Round Replay - Tottenham Hotspur vs Rochdale - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - February 28, 2018 The big screen displays that a decision has been referred to VAR (Video Assistant Referee) Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs

ZURICH (Reuters) - Video replays to help referees make key decisions are set to be used at this year's World Cup in Russia after the system was approved by soccer's rule-making body IFAB on Saturday.

FIFA, the game's world governing body, had said the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) system would be used at the finals if approved by IFAB, but its European counterpart UEFA has said it will not be deployed in next season's Champions League.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said the final decision on using the system at the June 14-July 15 World Cup will be taken at a meeting of the FIFA Council in Bogota later in March.

"As of today, the VAR system is part of football," he told reporters. "We came to the conclusion that VAR is good for football and referees, it brings more fairness to the game. For these reasons we have decided to approve it."

Critics say VAR has led to confusion in competitions where it has been used, especially for spectators in stadiums who are often unaware that a decision is being reviewed.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) statement described the move as an "historic step for greater fairness in football."

According to IFAB protocols, VAR should only be used in four key cases: goals, penalties, direct red cards and mistaken identity.

A trained referee with access to a video monitor, and in constant communication with the main match official, checks all such decisions.

If a "clear and obvious" mistake is spotted, the incident can be reviewed and changed. The referee, who has access to a pitchside monitor, can also initiate a review himself.

The implementation of the VAR system has been one of Infantino's main projects since he was elected in February 2016.

"I can guarantee that the referees that will be at the World Cup will be ready," he said on Saturday.

"Regarding the flow of the game, the intervention takes around one minute. I believe that VAR at the World Cup will certainly help us to have a fairer World Cup."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-04

Beggars belief that a system which is still in a testing phase will be used at the WC. Why the rush to bring it in at a tournament which showcases the most watched sport in the world? All the attention will be on VAR and not on the football.

Get it right first, especially the protocols for its use which currently are a dogs dinner, then everyone can see the benefits - should that be the clear outcome. Goal line technology has proved a winner but VAR is a step too far. 

Just crazy.  

17 minutes ago, jellydog said:

That would be the only good thing that could come from this move. I await the catastrophe.

Come on old timer, embrace it instead of wanting it to fail. :smile: Anything which assists in giving a correct outcome is better for the game. Yes, there have been problems but these gliches will get ironed out and we'll hopefully see the benefits soon. Any trial like this was bound to have problems.

Just now, natway09 said:

About bloody  time they made an attempt to get it right.

Too late for the team that scored a goal which was not given & missed out on going to the Cup

Bang on the money natway. That's my sole reason for wanting it

16 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Come on old timer, embrace it instead of wanting it to fail. :smile: Anything which assists in giving a correct outcome is better for the game. Yes, there have been problems but these gliches will get ironed out and we'll hopefully see the benefits soon. Any trial like this was bound to have problems.

I just can't see where all the bugs can be eliminated MrB. Some improvement is certainly possible, but minimal I would think. I still think that football is just not the right sport for VAR. However, given the support it is receiving from the powers that be I think it will be around a while.

If I knew nothing else about VAR, the fact that slimeball Infantino supports it would be enough for me to be against it.:smile:

7 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

On the other hand. Blatter is totally against it and for that reason alone, I'm in :laugh:

I didn't know Blatter was against it. Hmmmm.......no, I still hate it !:tongue:

Ifab technical director David Elleray, a former Premier League referee, said 40 countries are using, trialling or interested in VAR technology.

Speaking before Saturday's Ifab decision, he told BBC Sport: "Football has to decide does it want to use a system which will bring in greater accuracy and fairness, albeit with some delay occasionally.

"Or do they want to stay where they are, where the fans are complaining that something is clearly wrong, everybody watching on television can see it was wrong, everybody in the stadium can see on their mobile phones that it was wrong, but the one person who needed to see the replay wasn't allowed to look at the replay?

"People have to decide do they want greater fairness or do they want continued unfairness because they don't want to occasional interruption?"

Well said!

Dabhand's post is totally right. I'm on the fence about it but to implement  a system, that's not fully tested, in the World Cup is stupid.

I watched one FA Cup game ( Huddersfield v Man Utd) where it took fully 3 minutes before the VAR gave it's decision. It was based on a knee or some body part being fractionally offside and the BT commentators showed their straight line versus the VAR's crooked line that changed the 'goal' to offside.

I would have been fired if I ever implemented an IT system that wasn't properly tested to be working to specification.

So its ok if a player dives and wins a penalty and the "offendor' who was a metre away gets red carded and 2 matches. If it catches a few of those diving it is worth it. The Olympics, horse racing, NFL and now cricket (after the indians finally greed) have camera technology.

Archived