Bored in Thailand

garyk

Yea, it can happen, I started an expat small bike club and we go touring all over Thailand for days, everywhere, including into the jungle etc. Cheap trip and good to see the real countryside and local peoples. We're off again end of this month, back around Kanchanaburi and up and over the mountains, but I have seen a lot of people in the same situation, suddenly retired and to unable to make that transition from being at work too retired, it's a lot easier said than done.  A few friends and bit of motivation and life improves rapidly.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can become one of the handful of professional TVF posters, some post hundreds of times a week!  Also search the new topics so you can be the first or second person to post and maybe accrue more likes and thank yous, however competition is tough in that area. God help us ( or them).

I would go to a good size gym and once you start you can find all sorts of new routines that motivate you to do other things after the gym. Then you may be able to sleep more and that would take up more time too.

Travel to other areas in and around Thailand could also work but it helps more if your’re  not the high maintenance type

Look up old TV shows or whatever interests you on YouTube. . 

Stay off heavy drinking. 

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

You can become one of the handful of professional TVF posters, some post hundreds of times a week!  Also search the new topics so you can be the first or second person to post and maybe accrue more likes and thank yous, however competition is tough in that area. God help us ( or them).

I would go to a good size gym and once you start you can find all sorts of new routines that motivate you to do other things after the gym. Then you may be able to sleep more and that would take up more time too.

Travel to other areas in and around Thailand could also work but it helps more if your not the high maintenance type. 

Stay off heavy drinking. 

Boring......:sad:

Boredom isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you use it right. It can motivate you to find something of interest, as pointed out by earlier posts. I had a professor back when who said "Boredom is the legacy of fear". Fear of doing something new or different, I would imagine. Do be careful about your area of new interest. Drinking all day or night a path I would never want to go down, for example. I suppose it has to do with making new friends and all that, but I'd suggest finding a different avenue to achieve that.

Learn something, become an expert in some area that interests you. With so many resources available via the net there is nothing to stop you. Exercise however much you can stand. Learn Thai. Pay attention aka mindfulness. As a last resort "know thyself"

34 minutes ago, Justfine said:

I suppose they could. I find bars boring after 2 hours.

As do I, but if I had to choose between riding a push-bike in the sun, or sitting in an airconditioned bar trading lies with some friends, I'd take the bar. 

5 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

You could also buy a Ford and spend days at the Service Dept.Thats fun waitin for the Gears to be fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Haha, have the Ford.  Maybe I will break something then I can have fun fixing it.. :)

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Think you are behind with your info chummy....5a9ce655ea67d_shakehead.gif.093eeed443dab05ec48deda8487bf92c.gif

Nope. Even very heavy posters agree. ?but I’m done now. 

Eating good food, swim, walk on the beach, gym, nice dinner out with friends...off TVF.  Just my day and all great things to do when not bored. 

If you sit idol, you will get bored, therefore you need to have a balance and a routine:

Eat fine foods, drink nice beers, or wines if you prefer them and don't forget to get an ice-cream.

Give the Mrs a daily serve, if you haven't got a partner, visit the local girls, they will be up for it, but don't be a cheap Charlie, no more than 1,000 baht including the bar fine and drinks :passifier:

Watch some TV, go to the gym and do some cardio, frequent some bars where you can meet some Xpats and listen to their BS, it passes time :sorry:

I live with a Thai woman and her two boys 7 and 11.....I do not have time to be bored.....Take them swimming, bike riding, reading, movies, making love, laughing, cleaning house, laundry, house maintenance. Skyping with friends world wide, writing, meditating daily. I guess "Bored" isn't in my lexicon.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Out here in rural Khampaeng Phet there is plenty of room to walk, ride a pushbike etc, but IMO the next 6 months will be hot and dry or hot and wet so walk early mornings just after sunrise or late afternoons when it gets cooler again.

I don't have time to be bored. I am 73 and usually spend an hour a day early mornings 5 days a week cutting the scrub and grass at home and at my neighbours. I am also slowly writing my life story (boring but it works for me) editing my ebook library of several thousand books, cooking and making bread, sausages, pies, ham, bacon plus I have a stack of roundtuit jobs to do as well.

Fortunately I have my own personal Roundtoit given to me by my late great MiL

IMG_20180305_160747.jpg

IMG_20180305_160928.jpg

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

My God! Not one mention of Facebook or Twitter. Welcome to Thai Visa, last refuge of the dinosaurs.

Facebook is for narcissists. Twitter is for twits.

I'll never run out of good books to read, or great music to play. It's sad the Facebook generation will rarely get to appreciate what they have missed.

Bored? Never. Every day is an adventure.

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

Depends on what, where and how much you drink.

In any event, if one has no money, and they are bored, they should think about getting a job.

"should think about getting a job."

No need to get rude :smile:

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

never get bored ... so many bars to hit and get on the piss all day. :burp:

Can't think of anything more self destructive, unimaginative or, for that matter boring!

7 hours ago, CharlesSwann said:

Thailand is dire for local neighbourhood activity. Unless you're lucky enough to live by the sea or next to a nice park, it's near-impossible just to go out for a walk, that's the worst thing.

I do not understand that. I have lived in Thailand almost 11 years and have spent considerable time here over the last 50 years.  Of course, it depends where you chose to live.  I live in a good neighborhood in the middle of a large city--no beggars, no streetwalkers, no soi dogs, no trash; three 7/11s, two health clubs, a shopping center, a university and several local shops, restaurants and live music clubs all within walking distance.

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

I spend a lot of time feeding soi-dogs and teaching them to chase push-bikes...

Now that's cold, but I spoze it does stave off the boredom, eh?

There are many things you can do here in Thailand. What type of foods do you miss from your home country? I wanted some jersey caramels but cannot get them here so I searched out recipes and then looked for the ingredients that I needed and one was not available here and that was golden syrup so I ended up making my own along with other things like sweet mustard pickles (picalilli) and various other pickles and then I got into making ice cream with real fruit and today I have made my first batch of ginger marmalade and I am supplying? many of my farang friends with these things. There are plenty of things to do to stop boredom

When you get bored, you are getting bored with yourself, not something outside.   I am certain that with any imagination, on your part you will find something to stimulate your heart and head and if not, your boredom will follow you wherever you go.

Archived