Bored in Thailand

garyk

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You can become one of the handful of professional TVF posters, some post hundreds of times a week!  Also search the new topics so you can be the first or second person to post and maybe accrue more likes and thank yous, however competition is tough in that area. God help us ( or them).

I would go to a good size gym and once you start you can find all sorts of new routines that motivate you to do other things after the gym. Then you may be able to sleep more and that would take up more time too.

Travel to other areas in and around Thailand could also work but it helps more if your’re  not the high maintenance type

Look up old TV shows or whatever interests you on YouTube. . 

Stay off heavy drinking. 

You there Steven100?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can one get Bored.?.  Im So busy Avoiding all those Smelly Joggers, drunk  English Teachers, Idiots offering you awful Bread full of Picaninnies, Marmalade n Granite like Sausage. Avoiding Lycra Clad Vegans belting down Mountains, Watching Camera Buffs getting run over.  Watching Ferangs clean their own Cars,and Falling off Condo Balconies, how can one be bored here.!!!

29 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

There are many things you can do here in Thailand. What type of foods do you miss from your home country? I wanted some jersey caramels but cannot get them here so I searched out recipes and then looked for the ingredients that I needed and one was not available here and that was golden syrup so I ended up making my own along with other things like sweet mustard pickles (picalilli) and various other pickles and then I got into making ice cream with real fruit and today I have made my first batch of ginger marmalade and I am supplying? many of my farang friends with these things. There are plenty of things to do to stop boredom

I only hope its nicer food than my Friends makes.He ferments Norway Fish Gunge, so smelly we have no Soi Dogs outside the houses

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I only hope its nicer food than my Friends makes.He ferments Norway Fish Gunge, so smelly we have no Soi Dogs outside the houses

no fermented fish. That is all yours to keep you happy. I would prefer to have the soi dogs at the front door

I visit all the major festivals, rockets, tattoos, wax sculptures, piercing,  fireworks, lanterns, food, elephant round ups, fireballs, processions, music, dance. The list is endless. There is always something happening here. I've just come back from a Yak Sant Tatoo blessing ceremony three days of fun at What Bang Phra in Nahkom Pathom. 

Last month The King Narai festival in Lop buri. 

4 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

You could also buy a Ford and spend days at the Service Dept.Thats fun waitin for the Gears to be fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My ford have been around at many Ford Service departments (in different provinces), non of them could fix my engine problem, until I came to Ford in Malaysia, took them half an hour and was 110 Ringit 

9 hours ago, garyk said:

I like photography but didn't bring my equipment with me this hop.. ahhhhh

Maybe I join a gym and start exercising.

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but do you only spend part of your time in Thailand, and you feel bored?  Or are you looking for something more to do than the usual activities, which I agree can feel a bit flat after a while?  I can't say I've ever been bored in Thailand, and I live here full time. 

I'm also interested in photography, and on some business trips I leave the camera gear at home to save weight, but I still try to push the limits of my phone camera to see what I can create.  When I have some spare time, a walk in the park will always reveal something interesting - wildlife, people watching or the Bangkok Philharmonic playing a concert in the park.  Running or cycling in a park adds to the fun with a post work-out high.

For planned pursuits, try visiting an orphanage or a school for autistic kids - you'll have fun and learn something new about people by chatting to the staff  - lots of info on their websites about when to visit and what to bring/not bring.

Or if you like just looking at pretty girls (just looking can make you feel more positive, hence all the images of pretty girls in advertising), then visit the Top 4 places in Bangkok for girl watching (or letching, depending on how pure your thoughts are):

1. Chattuchak Night Market (NOT the weekend market, this is a night market for young Thais about 1 Km from the famous weekend market)

2. Terminal 21

3. Art Box Pop-up market - locations vary - check their Facebook site

4. Siam Square

I don't live in Bangkok righ now but I can not imagine getting board. I love to play pool and there are many single and doubles competions in the main pool bars, Sportsman Soi 13, Sports academy and Hustlers near time square. You could play a competition most nights if you wanted to.

Pub quiz night at Sportsman on a Tuesday and I am sure there are other pub quiz nights to find. Day time activities would include gym, swimming, walking, exploring the city. I like Hua Hin so if I wanted to see a beach I could take a taxi to there for 1800 baht for 2 or 3 nights. The thing to avoid is becoming an alcoholic just spending everyday from 3pm till past midnight in areas such as Soi 4 and Nana.

10 hours ago, Justfine said:

How so? Street food and markets, coffee shops, people watching.

You don't need a park.

LOL> I have a park, but find the things you mentioned boring. Just work on the Thaivisa forum post count and get into as many arguments/debates as possible. It doesn't take much. That will provide endless entertainment and stress. You may not enjoy it, but it will cure boredom.

12 hours ago, garyk said:

What do you do to stay active and not get bored?

Yesterday was hiking in the mountains from 8am until 2:30pm (20Km along and 1Km elevation gain)

Today was trying my hand at making soap (nice shaving soap is hard to find).

Tomorrow I'm going cycling to the suspension bridge at Mae Goo-wang dam (40Km) that'll take 3hrs

Hard to get bored, plenty to do.

1 hour ago, nausea said:
1 hour ago, chippendale said:

Only boring people feel bored.

It's all about passion. A lot of us come to Thailand cos we've done our thing and like boring.

Yes, that's more to the point. People who have time to get bored are very lucky people. Most people don't have the luxury of being bored as they are too busy striving to pay the bills.

13 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yesterday was hiking in the mountains from 8am until 2:30pm (20Km along and 1Km elevation gain)

Today was trying my hand at making soap (nice shaving soap is hard to find).

Tomorrow I'm going cycling to the suspension bridge at Mae Goo-wang dam (40Km) that'll take 3hrs

Hard to get bored, plenty to do.

Just remember to use the soap and don't just stand there and look at like you normally do. Phhh

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

Out here in rural Khampaeng Phet there is plenty of room to walk, ride a pushbike etc, but IMO the next 6 months will be hot and dry or hot and wet so walk early mornings just after sunrise or late afternoons when it gets cooler again.

I don't have time to be bored. I am 73 and usually spend an hour a day early mornings 5 days a week cutting the scrub and grass at home and at my neighbours. I am also slowly writing my life story (boring but it works for me) editing my ebook library of several thousand books, cooking and making bread, sausages, pies, ham, bacon plus I have a stack of roundtuit jobs to do as well.

When I do get bored after building a house, looking after my 30 plus reel to reel machines and cassette decks I am going to write my Chiang Mai diaries (triple X rated).

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yes, that's more to the point. People who have time to get bored are very lucky people. Most people don't have the luxury of being bored as they are too busy striving to pay the bills

Indeed, or striving to stay alive; you don't get bored in that situation.

7 minutes ago, nausea said:

Indeed, or striving to stay alive; you don't get bored in that situation.

Absolutely. I'm a bit envious of these bored people. Just trying to eat well and stay healthy is a full-time job.

2 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

My ford have been around at many Ford Service departments (in different provinces), non of them could fix my engine problem, until I came to Ford in Malaysia, took them half an hour and was 110 Ringit 

What was the problem?

Archived