Bored in Thailand

garyk

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find there is an abundance of activities in Thailand that are free or very cheap. Mostly sports of a kind but great way to meet people and keep occupied. Swimming, hash harriers, martial arts, language schools, fishing, cycling and many more, depends where you are but all are easily accessible and advertised 

58 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

When I do get bored after building a house, looking after my 30 plus reel to reel machines and cassette decks I am going to write my Chiang Mai diaries (triple X rated).

Do you still have reel to reel machines? Where do you get the tapes from nowadays?

17 hours ago, CharlesSwann said:

Thailand is dire for local neighbourhood activity. Unless you're lucky enough to live by the sea or next to a nice park, it's near-impossible just to go out for a walk, that's the worst thing.

I disagree with this.  In Thailand there is so much going on at street level that walking around can be quite entertaining with all manner of things to see.  Walking around the streets is one of the things I really look forward to when in Thailand!

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Do you still have reel to reel machines? Where do you get the tapes from nowadays?

Yes I do still have them and I enjoy maintaining them and I am also branching out into cassette decks and mini disc decks and I have another mini disc deck on the way from the UK bought through Ebay where most have my machines have come from. I have a lot of tapes and most of them were bought from Ebay but you take your chances with old machines and tapes.

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

I disagree with this.  In Thailand there is so much going on at street level that walking around can be quite entertaining with all manner of things to see.  Walking around the streets is one of the things I really look forward to when in Thailand!

Me too. Most interesting streets in the world.

8 hours ago, baansgr said:

I find there is an abundance of activities in Thailand that are free or very cheap. Mostly sports of a kind but great way to meet people and keep occupied. Swimming, hash harriers, martial arts, language schools, fishing, cycling and many more, depends where you are but all are easily accessible and advertised 

Lots of good drives or rides. Join some motorbike riders and go exploring. 

17 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

So is alcoholism your hobby?

Not a hobby ... just something to pass the time.  You can go to the first bar at 10am then change bars in the afternoon... you meet alot of interesting folk and Thai's.

Been there, done that. It was actually interesting for a couple of months but then became very booooring. I don't understand how someone can do it all day, every day for months or years -- but many thousands of farangs do. 

Not a hobby ... just something to pass the time.  You can go to the first bar at 10am then change bars in the afternoon... you meet alot of interesting folk and Thai's.
A bar can't survive when they have guys only having 3 drinks a day. I was at an event night and a balloon chaser turned up, he was told to naff off pretty quick

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
49 minutes ago, steven100 said:

A bar can't survive when they have guys only having 3 drinks a day. I was at an event night and a balloon chaser turned up, he was told to naff off pretty quick

yes ....  cheap charlies looking for the free food ..cheap drinks. 

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, steven100 said:

True they survive off drunks and cronic gamblers.

Been there, done that. It was actually interesting for a couple of months but then became very booooring. I don't understand how someone can do it all day, every day for months or years -- but many thousands of farangs do. 

Yes, not like riding a push-bike in the hot sun....

6 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

Yes I do still have them and I enjoy maintaining them and I am also branching out into cassette decks and mini disc decks and I have another mini disc deck on the way from the UK bought through Ebay where most have my machines have come from. I have a lot of tapes and most of them were bought from Ebay but you take your chances with old machines and tapes.

Oddly enough, during the spring clean this year I found a VHS player with a box of tapes that we last used in Germany in 2001.

We still have some cassettes from when the pickup truck had a cassette player bufore we upgraded to a CD player.

Now I worry what else may be lurking in the house from the old days.

On 05/03/2018 at 9:12 AM, CharlesSwann said:

Thailand is dire for local neighbourhood activity. Unless you're lucky enough to live by the sea or next to a nice park, it's near-impossible just to go out for a walk, that's the worst thing.

It's great for urbaneering -always something to see. Lots of shop,  markets, temples, festivals, music, food stalls. Most cities have free open air gyms and fitness areas.  There is always something happening here. 

50 minutes ago, The manic said:

It's great for urbaneering -always something to see. Lots of shop,  markets, temples, festivals, music, food stalls. Most cities have free open air gyms and fitness areas.  There is always something happening here. 

Temples and markets? Well, uh-huh, but those things lose their fascination after a while and after a few years you will be giving them a wide swerve. There's stuff to look at if you want to put in the effort but it's difficult to just step out for a casual stroll. You have to watch your feet and your head at every step, negotitate the crowds and the beggars and the traffic and the heat just to get to the nearest mall, into which one staggers with relief.

If a daily constitutional is important then I guess expats really need to make sure they live within strolling distance of a nice park  (though the only nice park I know in Bangkok is Suan Luan Rama IX park which is well off the map).

8 hours ago, CharlesSwann said:

Temples and markets? Well, uh-huh, but those things lose their fascination after a while and after a few years you will be giving them a wide swerve. There's stuff to look at if you want to put in the effort but it's difficult to just step out for a casual stroll. You have to watch your feet and your head at every step, negotitate the crowds and the beggars and the traffic and the heat just to get to the nearest mall, into which one staggers with relief.

If a daily constitutional is important then I guess expats really need to make sure they live within strolling distance of a nice park  (though the only nice park I know in Bangkok is Suan Luan Rama IX park which is well off the map).

Try going out of BKK to the countryside. You don't need to live within strolling distance of a nice park as there is plenty of room to walk and quite often Thais will stop and ask if you need a lift.

In rural Thailand most of the smiles are genuine.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:09 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Yesterday was hiking in the mountains from 8am until 2:30pm (20Km along and 1Km elevation gain)

Today was trying my hand at making soap (nice shaving soap is hard to find).

Tomorrow I'm going cycling to the suspension bridge at Mae Goo-wang dam (40Km) that'll take 3hrs

Hard to get bored, plenty to do.

I see you're making a great effort to always stay busy, but it almost comes across as desperately trying to fill your days to prevent boredom. It's like your daily task is to prevent boredom.

It's a bit like killing time as though it's your enemy and it needs to be filled up with tasks. 

I can sit down in a chair and do nothing and not be bored. It's a state of mind, not a vacuum to desperately fill up with tasks. A lot of people are doing stuff they really don't enjoy but they do it because they feel they must, otherwise, they are wasting their lives. I think a mental state like this is stressful. What happens if the people get sick and are incapable of doing things?

Must confess, there were times I was bored in Thailand. Even in Pattaya.
I was contemplating of forming a "Turbo Tourist Police".

- Chasing away the 1 minute interval fake watch sellers.
- Beating up dishonest Ski Doo lessors.
- Beating up motorbike lessors that rent out without liability insurance.
- Causing "disturbances" in Entertainment Establishements that charge a lot but deliver little.
- Fining unwelcome Soi Dogs plus issuing a firm warning "you have 3 days to leave town".
- Instead of going jogging in the cool morning hours: Neighbourhood trash collecting + street sweeping, etc etc.

I thought, this would give bored Farangs something meaningful to do, with the additional benefit, that the international press could report that "Thanks to a handful of some determined Farangs, a good part of law & order has been restored in Pattaya".

Much to my regret, I was told, that those activities would be considered illegal. Combatting illigal acts is illegal. (Even beating up a dishonest Ski Doo lessor would require a work permit.)

Not to speak of the "loss of face" for Thai authorities. There would not be enough money and plastic surgeons around to give those that have "lost face" a new face.

Well, if boredom sets in, there is always "Lulu's Bar and Grill & Dancers". Just around the corner.
Cheers.  

5 hours ago, tropo said:

I see you're making a great effort to always stay busy, but it almost comes across as desperately trying to fill your days to prevent boredom. It's like your daily task is to prevent boredom.

It's a bit like killing time as though it's your enemy and it needs to be filled up with tasks. 

I can sit down in a chair and do nothing and not be bored. It's a state of mind, not a vacuum to desperately fill up with tasks. A lot of people are doing stuff they really don't enjoy but they do it because they feel they must, otherwise, they are wasting their lives. I think a mental state like this is stressful. What happens if the people get sick and are incapable of doing things?

True. 

Have you

19 hours ago, Ninni said:

If you get bored here in Thailand you gonna  be bored everywhere!

Make a soulsearch and see what you can changes.

Good Luck!

true...to the OP i been living in Bali ,Singapore, Malaysia (JB ), Sydney and get bored easily.  Indonesia are great for outdoor activities, mountaineering,diving..but not good for social live,not as clean as Thailand, Singapore for shopping..etc. I think Thailand have all the mixed positive vibes form other SE Asia country, despite  their Sex tourism. I'm not into Go Go Bar, not because they were bad people around there..just not my cup of tea. I drink,not religiously either. When i'm bored in BKK i go camping with my fan to the National Park or going to Night Market event with my friends...the bored is in your mind , not in Thailand...just go out,have fun and hook up:smile:

If you are happy doing nothing why be in Thailand? You might as well be back in the west where the healthcare is most likely better and you don't have to worry about visas and any pension technicalities

Archived