Mega Expat TV & 3BB Speeds

glasswort

Last year after the demise of 365 Sport and Expat TV I subscribed to Mega Expat TV and its supposed all singing all dancing HD Subs channels which were downloaded to the MiniX box which I already had. I experienced freezing and dropping out problems right from the start and my complaints were always met with the same response i.e. 'we have thousands of subscribers in Thailand but no-one else has complained'. In addition the sound quality has deteriorated badly over the past couple of months to the extent that some programmes are unwatchable. From what has happened recently support at HD Subs is blocking my emails and I get no reaction at all from those at Mega Expat TV. I was advised that the internet service (the basic 3BB) may not be good enough. I have now upgraded to 3BB fibre 100/30 but it has made very little difference to the quality. As a matter of interest I have tested internet speeds over the past few minutes with rather surprising results. 3BB own testing site 50.8/31.8 Mbps( a little odd as they advertise the down load speed as 100Mbps), Mega Expat TV support 86.3/31.9, and an independent site that advises not trusting providers' site, TestMyNet 17.8/12.8 Mbps. These numbers are poles apart and I am wondering firstly if anyone can explain why these numbers differ so much and secondly whether anyone is experiencing the same problems that I am.

First of all, are you running the speed tests on WiFi or through ethernet cable? If you are using WiFi is it 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

For the difference on testmy.ney, thats down to single vs multi-threaded tests. This is doing a single download vs several simultaneous tests. The single one is the most representative for a streaming application. Your figure there looks more than adequate but you need to choose a test location in the same country as the streaming server.

Sent from my ZX81 using a dial-up modem.

if my memory serves me correctly, megaexpat was a cheap crap android box with customised kodi install.

any reliable service will be subscription based, servers and bandwidth cost money and any provider needs cashflow.

Avoid any company that try to push you towards buying a box from them or if they try to get you to buy a one year sub before testing for a month.

All download/upload rates from the OP would be more than enough even for full HD.

BUT: I assume that this MegaExpat streams come directly from some foreign site.

Probably one in a country with little to no enforcement of intellectual property (like Ukraine or the like).

And for such connections the quality/speed of the internet connection might be much worse.

Can also depend on time of day etc.

The strenght of the shutdown ExPat TV was, that they distributed the content from servers within Thailand which on the other side was the reason that they could be charged by a competitor that had rights for EPL.

agree withe above about server location, but if a server is in west coast USA or London or paris then anyone with fiber 30mb+ should be able to get a 10mb connection to those locations.

the way the traffic is routed is also important but beyond the scope of this forum

On 3/5/2018 at 5:48 PM, Forkinhades said:

What do you really expect from a company that's offering illegal tv subscriptions.
We do not tolerate such subscriptions here, and advise against others doing the same.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I assume from these crass statements that you do not live in Thailand. I love my sport and the only way that I can view what I want is to resort to sites such as these. If there is an alternative available to enable me to watch Sky Sports and the like legally in Thailand I would willingly subscribe. Finally Mr/Mrs/Ms Squeaky Clean can you truthfully declare that there is no illegal software on your devices and that you have never downloaded anything illegally?I do not expect an answer to that question because, bearing in mind your scathing criticism of my use of illegal tv subscriptions you are hardly likely to admit you have done anything wrong.

Apart from the opening moronic comment thanks very much to those that have responded. Incidentally I am running tests through wifi. I have just been visiting a friend who subscribes to the 3BB 200 down load package but a test shows he is receiving the same speed as my 100.

I use ilikehdtv which is now called HDPrimeTV for the cricket.

Watched all of the Big Bash and Ashes with few problems.

They had some server problems over Xmas and NY and it hasn't been as reliable.

For around 400 Baht per month though, it's pretty good.

ilikehd is good but its app and website have been built to a budget not to a spec,

It is so buggy and not user friendly

britishexpattv.net allows you to use stbemu and smart iptv and lots of other apps that are very well polished and are used by lots of different providers, just be aware that if you are a Aussie all providers are struggling to provide 100% coverage of NRL this year due to changes in Broadcast rights

12 hours ago, skippy121 said:

ilikehd is good but its app and website have been built to a budget not to a spec,

britishexpattv.net allows you to use stbemu and smart iptv and lots of other apps that are very well polished and are used by lots of different providers, just be aware that if you are a Aussie all providers are struggling to provide 100% coverage of NRL this year due to changes in Broadcast rights

My MegaExpat subscription runs out soon and I have already looked at IPTV. I did notice that the stations list and the overall presentation is very similar to MegaExpat. Maybe that is where it gets its programmes.

12 hours ago, skippy121 said:

Skippy 121 and Will27 appear to have conflicting views in respect of IlikeHD. I did try it a few years back but was not particularly impressed. Having said this in this day and age things do improve very quickly. Perhaps a month's worth is in order.

9 hours ago, glasswort said:

Skippy 121 and Will27 appear to have conflicting views in respect of IlikeHD. I did try it a few years back but was not particularly impressed. Having said this in this day and age things do improve very quickly. Perhaps a month's worth is in order.

I only use it for cricket, nothing else. So for me, spending 700 or 800 Baht a month just isn't worth it.

It suits me for my purposes. If there was a dedicated stream just for cricket, that I don't have to use VPN's, 

I would use it.

Watched most of yesterdays cricket via Sky Sports and it froze a few times. Mildly annoying but just refresh

and you're away.

Like I said before, for 400 Baht per month, I think it's good value.

8 hours ago, Will27 said:

I only use it for cricket, nothing else. So for me, spending 700 or 800 Baht a month just isn't worth it.

It suits me for my purposes. If there was a dedicated stream just for cricket, that I don't have to use VPN's, 

I would use it.

Watched most of yesterdays cricket via Sky Sports and it froze a few times. Mildly annoying but just refresh

and you're away.

Like I said before, for 400 Baht per month, I think it's good value.

I have just finished watching the final ODI between England and NZ and as usual some freezing. Sky Sports cricket channel via MegaExpatTV. I am now watching golf from India on the Sky Sports golf channel and a lot of freezing. my comments to those at Mega Expat TV are ignored. We will see how communications are miraculously restored when subs renewal time comes around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have a Mega Expat TV set top box and until now it has been working reasonable well for what I want it for.  I have been using it mainly for YouTube and Netflix.  However now I cannot sign into Netflix.  Can anyone give me the name and phone number of someone who may be able to fix this problem?

• 11 months later...

Hi got an great expats TV showing all UK, USA channels, Netflix  and live sports I've had it for 9 months now works great without any issues. I'm looking at updating my Android box to something modern anyone know what is best device to get as I don't want it to effect my wizztv 

Thanks 

Archived