Chiang Mai Welcomes New Smart Bus Route

snoop1130

Chiang Mai Welcomes New Smart Bus Route

by CityNews

smart-bus.jpg

CityNews – The Regional Transit Corporation’s smart bus route has hit Chiang Mai’s roads this weekend, with an initial free trial period this week.

The 50 million baht project has set one continuous bus route that will pass Chiang Mai International Airport, Suan Dok Hospital, Nimmanhaemin Road, Kad Suan Kaew, Chang Phueak Gate, Three Kings Monument, Tha Pae Gatee, Kad Muang Mai, Wat Gate, Night Bazaar and Wua Lai Road.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/chiang-mai-welcomes-new-smart-bus-route/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-3-5

They bought these buses over twelve years ago and tried to get them up and running but the songtaew community rebelled against their introduction, it's taken them this long to get things moving - don't expect much to happen with this for at least ten years more.

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

They bought these buses over twelve years ago and tried to get them up and running but the songtaew community rebelled against their introduction, it's taken them this long to get things moving - don't expect much to happen with this for at least ten years more.

Yeah! Compared to todays modern technology and the speed of innovation. Can it then be fair to say, that theese buses might no longer be so smart? 

Hope this works out but unless you're on the route, which is very much a tourist route, then it's of no use. How about some English on the route map too. Also if it's 20 BAHT flat fee, more than the local busses in BKK, then it's probably always going to be cheaper and more convenient to user Uber. If theres 4 people travelling in a group then you can pretty much get between any of the destinations on the map for 80baht or less. 

3 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Hope this works out but unless you're on the route, which is very much a tourist route, then it's of no use. How about some English on the route map too. Also if it's 20 BAHT flat fee, more than the local busses in BKK, then it's probably always going to be cheaper and more convenient to user Uber. If theres 4 people travelling in a group then you can pretty much get between any of the destinations on the map for 80baht or less. 

Part of the appeal of mass transit systems such as a bus service is that buses carry more people hence they pollute less, something that's much needed in Chiang Mai.

25 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Part of the appeal of mass transit systems such as a bus service is that buses carry more people hence they pollute less, something that's much needed in Chiang Mai.

Of course, I am all for public transport, spent most of my life using it. But when mass transit costs more per individual than taking an Uber then most won't bother. Something that would get more people on the busses is to offer a free service, like they do in KL. Number of routes are free and take anyone who wants to use them to the main attractions. These busses can sell advertising space in order to make money.

34 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Of course, I am all for public transport, spent most of my life using it. But when mass transit costs more per individual than taking an Uber then most won't bother. Something that would get more people on the busses is to offer a free service, like they do in KL. Number of routes are free and take anyone who wants to use them to the main attractions. These busses can sell advertising space in order to make money.

Free, are you mad, have you forgotten where we are. :cheesy:

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

>that buses carry more people hence they pollute less<

Not for Chiang Mai busses with hardly any passengers in 'm.

A nostalgia trip. Back in the days of yore when Fred Flintstone was a boy and I arrived in Chiang Mai, there was a popular bus service plied by the yellow perils which served four routes. They were smart in their bright yellow livery, trundled through the city at a maximum speed of 30 kph in whatever gear the driver could find in the box, but this suited the pace of the city in those days. They ran at 20 minute intervals except for toilet and meal breaks and the fare was 2 (I have not omitted a zero) baht anywhere on the route and 5 baht for the luxury of air conditioning. I used them often from the railway station up Huay Kaew to the university area and I never saw one break down. They disappeared about 20 years ago to be replaced by Tuk tuks and a vast increase in the population of the red perils i:e: the Song taews.

Archived