quelling hunger ?

poanoi

5 hours ago, Justfine said:

I found a machine like that in pharmacy.

Scales arent useless. They are a guide. People know what their fit weight is and can compare. Costs like $20 for good scales. You don't need a gp to tell you what a good weight is. You know yourself.

1 baht outside the 7/11

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

Recently, the various youtubes I watch on health and fitness are talking about TOFI  (thin on the outside, fat on the inside) as the reason that about 30% of heart disease patients are of normal weight according to just a plain scale.  Once they do some more sophisticated weighing like body fat and muscle mass and graphical composition analysis they find these TOFI have huge viseral fat deposits causing serious problems in the circulatory system.  They have a fit weight only in pounds (kilo) not a fit weight in terms of healthy body composition.

So scales can't tell you the whole story unless you get some of the other measurements.

My simply bathroom scale told me for 6 months that I had not gained a single pound while I was home in Chicago.  I was walking 14 miles a day.  When I returned here to my health club where I have free use of a very expensive full featured body composition scale from Tanita with software analysis I discovered I had gained 9 lbs of FAT.  I had maintained my exact weight on a simple scale but my general over health was sliding.  I do wonder how many people using just simple scales are not getting a clear enough picture of their overall condition.  Most doctors have not put in these new scales yet preferring to make the patient go for expensive MRI's and other high cost procedures for body measurements in the USA.  

You didn't notice your strength and muscle mass went down?

Odd

2 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Odd

No I didn't notice it.  I felt very good. My overuse of cardio, my 14 miles a day, 100 floors up my hi-rise stairs, and daily bicycle rides made me feel on top of the world.  It was just not an effective overall program.  This year I will need a gym and weights and will skip the long walks.  The long walk is a health guideline in the US and may be geared to older dying couch potatoes who have not exercised in 25 years and not for someone that has regularly exercised.  It just isn't enough or the right kind of exercise for me.  

18 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Odd

If you see yourself every day you won't notice change that fast and this was a 6 month period. I am sure he would have figured it out if he had pictures taken before and after those 6 months.. otherwise.. not so sure.

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you see yourself every day you won't notice change that fast and this was a 6 month period. I am sure he would have figured it out if he had pictures taken before and after those 6 months.. otherwise.. not so sure.

Depends if you are doing anything physical. I would notice.

46 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Depends if you are doing anything physical. I would notice.

Ok you would notice it, I might.. not sure my changes have been relatively small the last years not much to notice for me... but 4 kg is indeed a lot of muscle. 

16 hours ago, Justfine said:

Average man has 52 pounds of muscle. Going from 52 to 43 is a 17%  reduction.

I would notice. I notice strength differences of a lot less simply moving a 50kg bin.

I really did not notice it at all.  I also had a rapid weight loss when I  visited Japan for 14 days.  The great diet of the japanese with no sugar, no fried foods, no dairy products and those strange little side bowls of pickled veggies stripped 7.5 lbs off me during the 14 days.  I found out on the last day when I went to an osan. The bath house had a big scale.  A friend traveling with us that is a personal trainer and body builder realized he was losing weight and started to eat 2 lunches and 2 dinners everyday.  I don't think anyone else noticed.  

People are just not that in touch with their bodies!  People show up at the doctor's office all the time with problems that started months and months earlier but they had no real physical feelings those problems were developing.  

The average person is not any kind of athlete and probably doesn't do much monitoring of the body.  I had no way to monitor my muscle mass and body fat at that time but was monitoring my cardio vascular health and my resting heart rate went to a regular 54 bpm.  

I don't think general feelings about your body is a very good way to monitor it for health reasons.  It's not a bad first step but is not much of a reliable indicator for the average person.

And I don't think I have ever moved a 50kg bin in my life!  Desk jockey here!   Like most of the western population these days.

• 1 month later...

Archived