quelling hunger ?

poanoi

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

So nothing until noon?

I find eggs and cottage cheese are a filling breakfast but i have 2 shakes as well.

I normally have 3 or 4 shakes a day. 70% water, 30% milk. Protein powder, spices, flaxseed ground, strawberries, olive oil and baby spinach. For 2 shakes i add coffee.

Snacks - macadamia and almonds.

Odd and repetitive diet, not to mention that cottage cheese with eggs is so gauche!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Of course the manufacturers will continue to publish and fund studies that basically confuse the issues.  "

Yes. They even have "low carb" bread which is still 25% carbs which is high.

I find nuts give energy for 2 or 3 hours. Bread gave me energy for a hour then hungry again.

3 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Odd and repetitive diet, not to mention that cottage cheese with eggs is so gauche!

Eggs are odd? Interesting comment.

I don't eat eggs every morning and normally eat cottage cheese with meats or nuts.

I eat lots of mushrooms and brocoli too. Mushrooms are filling.

Crispy skin salmon

Mushrooms

Brocoli

Butter cream sauce with salt, pepper and sumac.

That was lunch yesterday.

"Odd and repetitive diet"

You think people who eat toast (50% carbs) and cereals (carbs, sugar, preservatives) 6 days a week for 50 years is not repetitive or odd? lol

Then on Sunday it's bacon, eggs and toast!

Great variety not

On 3/7/2018 at 8:51 PM, FracturedRabbit said:

It's your stomach bacteria screaming out for carbs! Once the bacteria settles down, your brain clears and you feel wonderful! And yes, coffee helps encourage the fat processing. Took me 3 weeks.

Yep, I now only eat once a day, took a while to sort stuff out and now never really hungry...I wanted weight loss (fat) and shape up..:stoner:

18 minutes ago, Justfine said:

So nothing until noon?

I find eggs and cottage cheese are a filling breakfast but i have 2 shakes as well.

I normally have 3 or 4 shakes a day. 70% water, 30% milk. Protein powder, spices, flaxseed ground, strawberries, olive oil and baby spinach. For 2 shakes i add coffee.

Snacks - macadamia and almonds.

I  did eggs with some meat when I started to work on my breakfast eating and hunger.  They do the trick and keep me satisfied until 1 or 2 pm.  No toast!  No bread.  No potatoes etc.  I gave up milk it causes severe painful heartburn for me.  I don't do the shakes as I am trying to limit calories by having whole foods not concentrated foods.  I do the nuts from time to time when I am having a hunger pain.  I don't have many tho.'

And yes I have been breakfast free for 2 years.  You will find plenty on this technique under the IF Intermittent fasting searches.  It works well for a lot of people.  It is a miracle for me!  It has many science and medical advocates now and the old wives' tales about losing muscle and being weak in the morning and blah blah (lie,lie,lie) mainly from the processed breakfast food companies seem to be fading away.

So yes!  No breakfast.  Black coffee no cream no sugar.  Some water!  Some tea.

1 minute ago, dontoearth said:

I  did eggs with some meat when I started to work on my breakfast eating and hunger.  They do the trick and keep me satisfied until 1 or 2 pm.  No toast!  No bread.  No potatoes etc.  I gave up milk it causes severe painful heartburn for me.  I don't do the shakes as I am trying to limit calories by having whole foods not concentrated foods.  I do the nuts from time to time when I am having a hunger pain.  I don't have many tho.'

And yes I have been breakfast free for 2 years.  You will find plenty on this technique under the IF Intermittent fasting searches.  It works well for a lot of people.  It is a miracle for me!  It has many science and medical advocates now and the old wives' tales about losing muscle and being weak in the morning and blah blah (lie,lie,lie) mainly from the processed breakfast food companies seem to be fading away.

So yes!  No breakfast.  Black coffee no cream no sugar.  Some water!  Some tea.

I just eat when hungry but choose good foods. Exception is after 10pm. If hungry i drink 600ml of water.

I read some fasting stuff. They were dropping off dinner not breakfast though. Your timeclock would matter though. If you sleep at 8pm then dropping dinner makes sense. If you sleep at 11pm dropping breakfast might work better.

2 minutes ago, Justfine said:

I read some fasting stuff. They were dropping off dinner not breakfast though. Your timeclock would matter though. If you sleep at 8pm then dropping dinner makes sense. If you sleep at 11pm dropping breakfast might work better.

You are correct there is more 'bang-for-the-buck' in skipping dinner rather than breakfast.  

However, skipping breakfast is easier on the routine as you are not hungry in the morning.  Really you have not been eating for hours while you sleep and your body has adjusted to this and its easy to keep up the momentum.  

Most people eat because it is morning, not because they are hungry.

I found that I could not sleep if I didn't have supper.  Just lately, sometimes I can skip supper so I may be heading to the one meal a day plan some people use.  I am not sure yet.  My body will tell me.  If i adapt to that it will be one meal late in the day around sunset most likely.

every day for 14-16 hours, and restricting your daily "eating window" to 8-10 hours.

Within the eating window, you can fit in 2, 3 or more meals.

This method is also known as the Leangains protocol, and was popularized by fitness expert Martin Berkhan.

I might try it.

2 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

You are correct there is more 'bang-for-the-buck' in skipping dinner rather than breakfast.  

However, skipping breakfast is easier on the routine as you are not hungry in the morning.  Really you have not been eating for hours while you sleep and your body has adjusted to this and its easy to keep up the momentum.  

Most people eat because it is morning, not because they are hungry.

I found that I could not sleep if I didn't have supper.  Just lately, sometimes I can skip supper so I may be heading to the one meal a day plan some people use.  I am not sure yet.  My body will tell me.  If i adapt to that it will be one meal late in the day around sunset most likely.

Some days I eat dinner 4.30pm then walk for an hour. After I dont get hungry much only drink water or small snack.

I usually find exercise stops hunger so doing it at 5-6pm helps reduce night food intake.

9 minutes ago, Justfine said:

What do you normally eat in that one meal?

Mainly very basic stuff, must admit the heat is probably a factor in not eating much. The only thing I must insure of in the meal is protein, but l eat very little meat unless it is in say Chilli Con Carnie.. Onions and tomatoes near every day plus a baguette or similar.

Been eating like this for probably six years, but for the last two years I am in the gym every 2/3 days fooling around with weights for an hour, at my age l have to be a little careful..:stoner:

3 minutes ago, Justfine said:

every day for 14-16 hours, and restricting your daily "eating window" to 8-10 hours.

Within the eating window, you can fit in 2, 3 or more meals.

This method is also known as the Leangains protocol, and was popularized by fitness expert Martin Berkhan.

I might try it.

Because each and every time you eat you are releasing hormones into the body that digest food and store fat I would try to restrict myself to 2 meals only during that period.  

1 hour ago, transam said:

Mainly very basic stuff, must admit the heat is probably a factor in not eating much. The only thing I must insure of in the meal is protein, but l eat very little meat unless it is in say Chilli Con Carnie.. Onions and tomatoes near every day plus a baguette or similar.

Been eating like this for probably six years, but for the last two years I am in the gym every 2/3 days fooling around with weights for an hour, at my age l have to be a little careful..:stoner:

Use protection if fooling around. Never know where those weights have been.

2 hours ago, dontoearth said:

You might try that dinner for breakfast. I find how I set up my day is very important.  I have been doing no breakfast for about 2 years and I am not hungry in the morning or much even at lunchtime.  The key seemed to be getting rid of all morning food.  I try to avoid processed simple carbs completely, but do the salads, vegetables and fruits.  

This strategy has taken about 41 lbs off my body and the weight lifting has put on about 6 lbs of muscle. 

I made myself fat by believing I needed a carb loaded breakfast.  I had cereals and oats and milk and other nonsense.   I bought into every scam from the marketing people possible as good for my health.  Today so many people are rejecting those claims and they certainly are not born out by science of medicine.   Of course the manufacturers will continue to publish and fund studies that basically confuse the issues.  I pay much less attention to that now.

Best of luck to you.

I tried no breakfast doesn't do it for me. Mind you I lost 55lbs before so i know what I can / can't do.

I don't fear carbs, i think they are good for people like me. (people who lift heavy weights and workout seriously). I tried low carb it can work but higher (good) carbs fuel my workouts and make me burn more calories put on more muscle. Without carbs workouts are just not the same. Now low carb can be good for those that don't do explosive workouts.

More and more people are coming back from low carb to eating healthy carbs and working out hard. I am talking about weight lifters - bodybuilders, fitness freaks not normal people. 

I found out that doing a protein loaded breakfast i stay filled much longer proteins are the key and are also real hard to convert to sugars.

But my point was more that everyone is a bit different and you have to find what suits you. So its good to have many suggestions because it might work for someone. I just don't believe in one cure fits all.  

I have already lost fat again but its a slow battle as its not much to lose. I am just annoyed with myself for letting this happen. 

3 hours ago, Justfine said:

Eggs are odd? Interesting comment.

I don't eat eggs every morning and normally eat cottage cheese with meats or nuts.

I eat lots of mushrooms and brocoli too. Mushrooms are filling.

Crispy skin salmon

Mushrooms

Brocoli

Butter cream sauce with salt, pepper and sumac.

That was lunch yesterday.

4 shakes a day is odd.

31 minutes ago, torrzent said:

4 shakes a day is odd.

Oops.. i have 2 a day (just because i want to keep protein high while calories low). Normally when I am not restricting my calories I don't take many shakes.

When trying to lose weight you need to keep proteins high (and exercise) otherwise you lose muscle.. sure its weight.. but not the kind of weight you want to lose.

31 minutes ago, robblok said:

Oops.. i have 2 a day (just because i want to keep protein high while calories low). Normally when I am not restricting my calories I don't take many shakes.

When trying to lose weight you need to keep proteins high (and exercise) otherwise you lose muscle.. sure its weight.. but not the kind of weight you want to lose.

According to one Vitamix study of 2013-2014 data, 73 percent of households own a blender, with 18.5 percent buying a new one in 2014. 

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

One natural coconut shake (can combine coconut juice and the flesh in blender) per day is sufficient.  Anything more is overkill. This should be complemented by a balanced nutricious and tasty diet...not the latest trend that you will quit after a short while

12 minutes ago, torrzent said:

One natural coconut shake (can combine coconut juice and the flesh in blender) per day is sufficient.  Anything more is overkill. This should be complemented by a balanced nutricious and tasty diet...not the latest trend that you will quit after a short while

Nonsense.

23 hours ago, Justfine said:

Nonsense.

20 hours ago, Justfine said:

1 medium coconut contains about 1400 calories.

Might as well have Maccas!

Total nonsense and fake news....stick to your cottage cheese

Calories in Fresh Whole Young Thai Coconut (Water and Meat)

Nutrition Facts

Fresh - Whole Young Thai Coconut (Water and Meat)

1. Servings:
Calories 270 Sodium 80 mg
Total Fat 10 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 5 g Total Carbs 43 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 23 g
Trans 0 g Protein 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg    
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 10%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 8%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Search our food database by name:

Archived