quelling hunger ?

poanoi

3 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Total nonsense and fake news....stick to your cottage cheese

Calories in Fresh Whole Young Thai Coconut (Water and Meat)

Nutrition Facts

Fresh - Whole Young Thai Coconut (Water and Meat)

1. Servings:
Calories 270 Sodium 80 mg
Total Fat 10 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 5 g Total Carbs 43 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 23 g
Trans 0 g Protein 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg    
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 10%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 8%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Search our food database by name:

False

Coconut/Energy Amount

1,405 calories

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Justfine said:

"One medium-sized coconut weighing about 397 grams has 1,405 calories"

https://www.livestrong.com/article/249615-the-nutritional-value-of-coconuts/

Perhaps you are talking about different things. The link is in regard to mature coconuts which are meat heavy, whereas the prior post is referring to young coconuts which have very little meat.  Mainly sold to drink, but some people scoop out the meat, which is very thin in comparison to mature coconuts. 

16 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Perhaps you are talking about different things. The link is in regard to mature coconuts which are meat heavy, whereas the prior post is referring to young coconuts which have very little meat.  Mainly sold to drink, but some people scoop out the meat, which is very thin in comparison to mature coconuts. 

He claimed yesterday he was talking about meat and juice.

A small coconut shake with little meat is 1 not filling 2 not a protein shake 3 useless for weight loss

15 minutes ago, Justfine said:

"A 12-ounce can of regular Coke contains 39 grams of total sugar, which is about 9 1/3 teaspoonsof sugar."

https://www.livestrong.com/article/283136-how-many-teaspoons-of-sugar-are-there-in-a-can-of-coke/

His coconut deal above is 23g or about 5.5 teaspoons of sugar.

That's not a diet drink. That puts on weight.

Lucky I don't drink either then. 

I'm just after reading the open Facebook pages for the METI Health Clinic in Lalovaea, Samoa.  They treat patients with type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic diseases.  Many of them are overweight or obese.  The patients are put on a whole foods, plant based lifestyle and many are able to lose excess weight and regain their health again.

No animal foods, dairy, eggs or any oils allowed (so that would eliminate any coconut oil).

The patients can eat vegetables (including potatoes and taro), fruit, legumes and whole grains (wholemeal bread, oats, brown rice and wholemeal pasta).

Unfortunately, no mention as to whether the islanders can eat whole coconuts on the diet or not.

4 hours ago, Taggart said:

I'm just after reading the open Facebook pages for the METI Health Clinic in Lalovaea, Samoa.  They treat patients with type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic diseases.  Many of them are overweight or obese.  The patients are put on a whole foods, plant based lifestyle and many are able to lose excess weight and regain their health again.

No animal foods, dairy, eggs or any oils allowed (so that would eliminate any coconut oil).

The patients can eat vegetables (including potatoes and taro), fruit, legumes and whole grains (wholemeal bread, oats, brown rice and wholemeal pasta).

Unfortunately, no mention as to whether the islanders can eat whole coconuts on the diet or not.

Interesting. In their introduction they rightly state that the root cause of diabetes is excess sugars/carbohydrates/starches; but then recommend a diet which includes a number of foods which include sugars/carbohydrates/starches; e.g. fruit, grains, pasta, bread, potatoes; but ban eggs even though they are mainly protein and fat.

If you really want to eliminate sugars and tackle insulin resistance, a ketogenic diet is the answer. Not sure the METI approach would be as successful. Doing keto, you would use the coconut meat (coconut flour, coconut flakes, coconut milk), but avoid the coconut water because of its higher carb content.

i think the more meat and the less carbs the merrier,

the catch is that protein alone gets old to eat real quick,

i'd want at least some potato salad to go with the grilled chicken and so on,

same for all kinds of dishes.

i wonder what you think of kebab ?

its not a whole lot of bread, and if i skip the mayo &

chili sauce it should be a good meal i would think,

adding just tsasiki & mustard to make it tasty.

also wonder what you think of a richesse strawberry youghurt ? i would want to go on a diet with that alone, but unfortunately i cant buy it in enough quantities

5 hours ago, poanoi said:

i think the more meat and the less carbs the merrier,

the catch is that protein alone gets old to eat real quick,

i'd want at least some potato salad to go with the grilled chicken and so on,

same for all kinds of dishes.

i wonder what you think of kebab ?

its not a whole lot of bread, and if i skip the mayo &

chili sauce it should be a good meal i would think,

adding just tsasiki & mustard to make it tasty.

also wonder what you think of a richesse strawberry youghurt ? i would want to go on a diet with that alone, but unfortunately i cant buy it in enough quantities

Carbs / no carbs is rapidly being debunked. Its about the total amount of calories still. So you can still get fat on low carb or get rid of fat on high carbs.   (though i would choose the healthier carbs that release their energy slower)

You should take a look at macro for Yoghurt that is where i get my stuff but i think strawberry yoghurt would contain too much sugar.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Carbs / no carbs is rapidly being debunked. Its about the total amount of calories still. So you can still get fat on low carb or get rid of fat on high carbs.   (though i would choose the healthier carbs that release their energy slower)

You should take a look at macro for Yoghurt that is where i get my stuff but i think strawberry yoghurt would contain too much sugar.

I don't see any of the advocates for the diets that don't calorie count throwing in the towel and returning to the calories in calories out model.  I just saw a doctor, Jason Fung on youtube which advocates keto and fasting and he basically says he doesn't believe in calories at all anymore.  He asked questions like where in your body is the calorie sensor?  What hormone or organ measures your calories?  Basically, he feels and I am convinced that this poorly thought out man made up science just can't explain the complex nature of digestion and energy production and fat storage in the body.

In my career as we were introduced to research and the scientific method the professor said,"How do you know your theory is wrong?"  His answer, "The numbers won't work!"  And that is the big problem with calorie counting the numbers just won't work.  OH yeah this is where people will tell u about prison camp survivors always lost all their weight, but in the real world those limiting calories by 30% often experience total and complete miserable failure within months.  The last published figure I saw said only 1 in every 1,247 trials experienced long term success with the calorie restriction model.  And that is the REAL WORLD test!  We can't put people in prison camps and starve them.  

The explanation for why people are having success on high carb "good carbs like whole plant foods" in losing weight and fighting diabetes is that food has some kind of synergy between the macros that we don't understand and limiting one of the macros whether it is carbs or fat or protein seems to do the trick for weight loss.  Once you strip down the body fat so many diseases disappear completely.  A National Institute of Health Researcher said this in the HBO special the Biology of Weight Loss.  All successful diets are the same they just reduce or eliminate one of the macro nutrients until weight loss starts.  Brilliant Kid!  The whole special is dedicated to the failure of the calories in calories out mantra.  The American Medical Association still pushes that model but hey they advocated smoking for 3 decades after research proved it caused lung cancer.  THE AMA was paid off by the tobacco companies.  And now the AMA gets huge money from McDonald's, Coke and Frito-lay to push the calories in calories out model in the Mantra eat less and move more.   Somethings never change!

Just some thoughts!  I don't think the vast majority of calorie counters researchers and advocates will disappear as the big food processing companies have way too much money and time invested in this poorly thought out science to let it go.  On the other hand people losing weight  and improving their health definitely should be very suspicious. Especially with the success of so many different diet plans which do not use the calorie counting method.

In all if we keep the calories in calories out model going it needs serious refinement in creating more categories.  No one should be looking at a bowl of strawberries at a few 100 calories and a snack cake or candy bar and thinking they are all exactly the same inside the body because they get the same macro classification and calorie count.  We know from our terrible diseases like Type II diabetes they are most certainly NOT!

So my 41 lbs of weight loss is based on getting the simple carbs out and intermittent fasting with an occasional Keto cycle.  I have no plans of measuring calories or counting them or weighing them or whatever people are doing with those programs.  I am now in the 3rd year or so of my weight loss and working on the last few stubborn pounds which seem to be below my bodies desired set point.  I will be doing most of my research and action plan based on trying to figure out if anyone has overcome this serious problem.  It seems to be one that researchers avoid it as it is a long term problem not a 6 week or 8 week or 12 week study that would  get a few food sponsors $$$$ to help make money on the research.

Anybody got some tips on losing weight below a plateau or set point?  Other than locking me in a prison camp?  

1 minute ago, dontoearth said:

I don't see any of the advocates for the diets that don't calorie count throwing in the towel and returning to the calories in calories out model.  I just saw a doctor, Jason Fung on youtube which advocates keto and fasting and he basically says he doesn't believe in calories at all anymore.  He asked questions like where in your body is the calorie sensor?  What hormone or organ measures your calories?  Basically, he feels and I am convinced that this poorly thought out man made up science just can't explain the complex nature of digestion and energy production and fat storage in the body.

In my career as we were introduced to research and the scientific method the professor said,"How do you know your theory is wrong?"  His answer, "The numbers won't work!"  And that is the big problem with calorie counting the numbers just won't work.  OH yeah this is where people will tell u about prison camp survivors always lost all their weight, but in the real world those limiting calories by 30% often experience total and complete miserable failure within months.  The last published figure I saw said only 1 in every 1,247 trials experienced long term success with the calorie restriction model.  And that is the REAL WORLD test!  We can't put people in prison camps and starve them.  

The explanation for why people are having success on high carb "good carbs like whole plant foods" in losing weight and fighting diabetes is that food has some kind of synergy between the macros that we don't understand and limiting one of the macros whether it is carbs or fat or protein seems to do the trick for weight loss.  Once you strip down the body fat so many diseases disappear completely.  A National Institute of Health Researcher said this in the HBO special the Biology of Weight Loss.  All successful diets are the same they just reduce or eliminate one of the macro nutrients until weight loss starts.  Brilliant Kid!  The whole special is dedicated to the failure of the calories in calories out mantra.  The American Medical Association still pushes that model but hey they advocated smoking for 3 decades after research proved it caused lung cancer.  THE AMA was paid off by the tobacco companies.  And now the AMA gets huge money from McDonald's, Coke and Frito-lay to push the calories in calories out model in the Mantra eat less and move more.   Somethings never change!

Just some thoughts!  I don't think the vast majority of calorie counters researchers and advocates will disappear as the big food processing companies have way too much money and time invested in this poorly thought out science to let it go.  On the other hand people losing weight  and improving their health definitely should be very suspicious. Especially with the success of so many different diet plans which do not use the calorie counting method.

In all if we keep the calories in calories out model going it needs serious refinement in creating more categories.  No one should be looking at a bowl of strawberries at a few 100 calories and a snack cake or candy bar and thinking they are all exactly the same inside the body because they get the same macro classification and calorie count.  We know from our terrible diseases like Type II diabetes they are most certainly NOT!

So my 41 lbs of weight loss is based on getting the simple carbs out and intermittent fasting with an occasional Keto cycle.  I have no plans of measuring calories or counting them or weighing them or whatever people are doing with those programs.  I am now in the 3rd year or so of my weight loss and working on the last few stubborn pounds which seem to be below my bodies desired set point.  I will be doing most of my research and action plan based on trying to figure out if anyone has overcome this serious problem.  It seems to be one that researchers avoid it as it is a long term problem not a 6 week or 8 week or 12 week study that would  get a few food sponsors $$$$ to help make money on the research.

Anybody got some tips on losing weight below a plateau or set point?  Other than locking me in a prison camp?  

Of course advocates of those ways won't start to say differently and would only quote things they think is right. I have followed scientific studies on the subject and they show there is almost no difference. (if calories remain the same). The thing is by going low carb your automatically restricting calories that is why it works. 

I have read about a lot of real world athletes that got leaner by increasing their carbs, these guys were advocating low carb before and totally turned around getting leaner on higher carbs. I tend to believe these guys because it takes a lot of guts to admit you were wrong to follow the low carb hype. They before were advocates of it but new research showed that there is no benefit to low carb at all compared to a high protein clean diet.

Low carb works because you cut out bad carbs, but if you do the same in a real diet and keep protein high and exercise you get the same results and / or better. This is of course for people who do some serious exercise  

The secret is to keep proteins high at around 1 to 1,5 grams of protein per kg of body-weight. Combine that with exercise and you won't lose muscle while you diet down. After you have enough proteins you add healthy fats and cabs. Its especially useful to take carbs before training sessions. 

As long as you cut out most processed carbs you will be ok, nobody is advocating for those. 

People should try what suits them best and that certainly is not always low carb 

Tips about going below a plateau or set point.. I broken a few in my time.. it takes time and effort. Things you can do is add more cardio for a few weeks to break it. Use a supplement to help you ECA (if you can get it and are healthy and exercise). I would not eat less (last resort) better to exercise more.. BUT you can only burn 200-300 calories maybe 500 but burning an extra 500 on what your doing now is a lot. So be prepared to go slow but keep it up. (if your into it there are more risky supplements that can help but that is on your own risk)

I lost most of my 55lbs with carbs (but healthy ones) not going high carb but certainly not being paranoid about it. Now I have to lose a few kg again because i got a bit fatter (messed up my diet and training for a few months because I could not sleep, now that sleeping is going better my training is good again and exercise too.. but fat-loss  is slow as always). 

1 hour ago, dontoearth said:

yes, DNP fatburner works like a charm, but never ever exceed 1/2 small flat teaspoon

or face 4 days straight of at the very verge of  vomiting, or death

13 minutes ago, poanoi said:

yes, DNP fatburner works like a charm, but never ever exceed 1/2 small flat teaspoon

I will continue to look for ideas.  I do use HRT and some steriods under a doctors supervision but DNP which is a banned weedkiller from the 1930's is just too risky.  I don't think a single reputable doctor would help you with acquiring or using it.

I struggle with keeping my blood pressure normal and have a long family history of heart disease and cancer so something with a pace more slow and steady ....

58 minutes ago, poanoi said:

DNP....

If you use it.. weight it with a special electronic scale.. the lethal dose is close to the real dose. (normal dose would be 200mg)

Also due to its half life it will accumulate in your body.. so the actual dosage in your blood will rise.

I used it vowed never to use it again. Not because of the danger as I believe (my opinion don't take my word for it research it, research it, research it.. think think think and then decide) that is manageable if your sensible. But the problem is I can't sleep when I am on it because of the sweating that means no cardio or good exercise.. so the extra calories i burn on DNP might equal the ones I don't burn because of not working out.  I also hated the sweating part a lot.  But it is effective.

46 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

I will continue to look for ideas.  I do use HRT and some steriods under a doctors supervision but DNP which is a banned weedkiller from the 1930's is just too risky.  I don't think a single reputable doctor would help you with acquiring or using it.

I struggle with keeping my blood pressure normal and have a long family history of heart disease and cancer so something with a pace more slow and steady ....

HRT combined with exercise should help, but in the end its down to your diet. JSixpack had a good idea with refeeds (i actually use them myself) but did not think to mention them as it seemed so logical. 

Nutritional physiology, the only clinical science where people with absolutely no clue are experts.

Regurgitating the no carb doctrine has to be one of the more mindless things in the world this day and age. Be an individual...

Please read what Roblokk writes, everything spot on. The only thing thats going to work more than marginally for most people is an emphasis on protein and hearty vegetables. Like he says, hunger WILL be an issue, the alternative is a miniscule amount of weight lost if any. Or daily exercise and activity to the point where it becomes a real struggle for the regular person, as well as time consuming probably.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Kaalle said:

Nutritional physiology, the only clinical science in the world were people with absolutely no clue are experts.

Regurgitating the no carb doctrine has to be one of the more mindless things in the world this day and age. Be an individual...

Please read what Roblokk writes, everything spot on. The only thing thats going to work more than marginally for most people is an emphasis on protein and hearty vegetables. Like he says, hunger WILL be an issue, the alternative is a miniscule amount of weight lost if any. Or daily exercise and activity to the point where it becomes a real struggle for the regular person, as well as time consuming probably.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I have read countless articles about the benefit of (relatively) high protein during a diet, it will help conserve muscle (even more so if it is combined with exercise) Vegetables are always good as they are high volume low caloric value. (one of my meals is a huge plate of salad without fatty dressings). Weight loss is not what people are after, they are after fat loss, so do try to prevent muscle loss.

The good thing about low carb is that it usually is high protein, I am not against low carb as it obviously works but its not for everyone and as i said more and more athletes are changing back to taking more carbs (not bad carbs) to fuel their workout and they still lose a lot of fat. Also the carbs help to build muscle (though that is hard to do if your dieting).

I just say try whatever you want and if you feel good with it so be it. But just don't follow something blindly adjust it to your needs. 

For some people going low carb will be good especially if they are insulin resistant but after a while of low carb and exercise the body can handle carbs better again. People who exercise can handle carbs better then those who don't. 

We are individuals, the same basic rules govern us all but there is still flexibility. 

Just look at those annoying people who are never hungry can skip meals if they are bored with food (points at my GF). 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have read countless articles about the benefit of (relatively) high protein during a diet, it will help conserve muscle (even more so if it is combined with exercise) Vegetables are always good as they are high volume low caloric value. (one of my meals is a huge plate of salad without fatty dressings). Weight loss is not what people are after, they are after fat loss, so do try to prevent muscle loss.

The good thing about low carb is that it usually is high protein, I am not against low carb as it obviously works but its not for everyone and as i said more and more athletes are changing back to taking more carbs (not bad carbs) to fuel their workout and they still lose a lot of fat. Also the carbs help to build muscle (though that is hard to do if your dieting).

I just say try whatever you want and if you feel good with it so be it. But just don't follow something blindly adjust it to your needs. 

For some people going low carb will be good especially if they are insulin resistant but after a while of low carb and exercise the body can handle carbs better again. People who exercise can handle carbs better then those who don't. 

We are individuals, the same basic rules govern us all but there is still flexibility. 

Just look at those annoying people who are never hungry can skip meals if they are bored with food (points at my GF). 

And me....singing.gif.8c052d433e03caf41bd6ad435cc9fd58.gif

Eggs are odd? Interesting comment.

I don't eat eggs every morning and normally eat cottage cheese with meats or nuts.

I eat lots of mushrooms and brocoli too. Mushrooms are filling.

Crispy skin salmon
Mushrooms
Brocoli
Butter cream sauce with salt, pepper and sumac.

That was lunch yesterday.

Do you buy the Cottage in Thailand?

I was looking the other day a tiny tub for 60THB no thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I shop in macros to but I am not sure what yoghurt is the healthiest which one do you buy?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, robblok said:

I agree, muscle maintenence i.e the preseversation of a healthy metabolism is key. And for most people high protein and some fats for health and also tastier meals dont leave much room for carbs, thats fine. Carb refeeds slightly above maintenance on lifting days is a great compromise.  Meal frequency, choice of foods etc, is where the individual factor comes in. Reducing bodyfat in an efficient way is not rocket science, its  about putting the time and effort in. The methodology is simple. 

I had an ex who was the same way, she gained and subsequently wanted to loose 10 kg. Hunger wasnt the issue it was the boring food items that had to replace the sugar and oily sh*t thais like to eat : )

Archived