British man sent home from hospital with paracetamol after breaking neck in Phuket

webfact

Just now, Thongkorn said:

Been there done that. I was ill in Thailand. Few years ago. Went to a private hospital in Bangkok. After fifteen minute and some tests I was parted with 20,000 baht. Told I did not have Maleria or dengue. I was given 3 isotonic drink powder and Ten vitamin b tablets. I suffered on for two weeks. Mrs took me to a Thai government hospital one early morning, 2am, within 3/4 hours I got a diagnosis’s which I now know was correct. I had Lukimla.So don’t knock Thai government hospitals they are not all bad.

This appalling mistake isn't about 'knocking' Thai hospitals, as one way or another it's the nhs hospital that let him down in this case.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real culprit here was Anton Frolov himself, of course. A true Brit would probably not even have noticed a bit of pain like that. Was is not Sir Robin Knox-Johnston who was sent home with a strip of aspirin, after having asked for morfine "just in case" upon the start of his single-handed sailing voyage around the world with the doctor uttering the famous words: " a couple of aspirins is everything a true brit could ever need".

Frolov, obviously, is not cut from the same cloth. Makes one wonder...

23 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Been there done that. I was ill in Thailand. Few years ago. Went to a private hospital in Bangkok. After fifteen minute and some tests I was parted with 20,000 baht. Told I did not have Maleria or dengue. I was given 3 isotonic drink powder and Ten vitamin b tablets. I suffered on for two weeks. Mrs took me to a Thai government hospital one early morning, 2am, within 3/4 hours I got a diagnosis’s which I now know was correct. I had Lukimla.So don’t knock Thai government hospitals they are not all bad.

Which private hospital?

24 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

To sue a Thai hospital seems to be a difficult task, aren't most doctors in government hospitals a sort of 'overqualified?'  Same same, but different.....

Hospital's here have been sued successfully a number of times.

"...aren't most doctors in government hospitals a sort of 'overqualified?'"

What does that mean?

29 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

To sue a Thai hospital seems to be a difficult task, aren't most doctors in government hospitals a sort of 'overqualified?'  Same same, but different..

Quite a lot of Thai Dcotors work in both Private and Public hospitals at the same time 

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Hospital's here have been sued successfully a number of times.

"...aren't most doctors in government hospitals a sort of 'overqualified?'"

What does that mean?

Let's say they are not the best doctors ( in government hospitals), got way too many patients to look after, and if you've got the bad luck to get very sick on a weekend, or on a holiday, it could be your death sentence. Intensive care isn't as intensive here as it should be. But I can only talk about what I've experienced, hopefully others had better luck. 

4 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Let's say they are not the best doctors ( in government hospitals), got way too many patients to look after, and if you've got the bad luck to get very sick on a weekend, or on a holiday, it could be your death sentence. Intensive care isn't as intensive here as it should be. But I can only talk about what I've experienced, hopefully others had better luck. 

That depends of what local hospital you go too .

6 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Yes, but the patients can hardly decide if they see the good ones, can they? 

From what Ive seen, some Doctors in private hospitals main reason for existing, seems to be to prescribe you drugs , which can only be bought from their expensive pharmacy , rather than trying to make you better .

Prescribing you with un needed medication

11 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Sorry, got to disagree, and from personal experience. 

I was admitted to a government hospital in a coma some years ago and I was looked after very well.  It clearly wasn't the death sentence it would have been if I hadn't gone there. 

A lot of, if not most, doctors that you'll find in private hospitals are government hospital employees as well so their qualifications are as good as any doctors anywhere.

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

From what Ive seen, some Doctors in private hospitals main reason for existing, seems to be to prescribe you drugs , which can only be bought from their expensive pharmacy , rather than trying to make you better .

Prescribing you with un needed medication

As collecting and paying is the very last procedure after treatment, if you are prescribed drugs that you do not want, all you have to do is tell the pharmacist to take them of the prescription and then pay for what you accept. 

If you can remember what they are and you want them later just go to pharmacy and buy them independently, hospital pharmacies do not have access to special drugs that can only be bought from them and that other pharmacies do not have.  You may need a prescription for some, though.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Anton Frolov fractured his neck after hitting his head on the seabed while swimming during a holiday in Phuket in 2015

How can someone break his neck when swimming?

2 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Why are they only concentrating on the negligence of the UK hospital and forgetting the negligence of the original hospital in Phuket ?

Is it because he knows it would be a complete waste of time taking legal action against a Thai hospital ? 

Not wasting time but surely wasting money to sue any Thai authorities, hospitals, or even a street seller for a falang.

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Sorry, got to disagree, and from personal experience. 

I was admitted to a government hospital in a coma some years ago and I was looked after very well.  It clearly wasn't the death sentence it would have been if I hadn't gone there. 

A lot of, if not most, doctors that you'll find in private hospitals are government hospital employees as well so their qualifications are as good as any doctors anywhere.

I wouldn't go as far as " their qualifications are as good as any doctors anywhere.", as I was shocked to discover that a couple didn't have the faintest idea what I was talking about when looking for a well known (in the west), alternative medication...  Even less of an idea when I asked for certain blood tests to be carried out....

But other posters are right  - most doctors/consultants in private hospitals switch between govt. hospitals and private hospitals.

2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Please reread the original because the medication was not from Thailand, which is what you appear to refer to in your comment.  The prescribed drugs came from a hospital in England.

Nah, you know that is something buildt in automatically in some posters to bash everything as thai without reading anything right.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

The irony is that, even that paracetamol is locally made and sourly lacking the qualities

of an US UK Aust equivalent product,

The irony only lies in that you blame Thailand for a product given by an english hospital in england. Maybe you thought that they import from Thailand?

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

As collecting and paying is the very last procedure after treatment, if you are prescribed drugs that you do not want, all you have to do is tell the pharmacist to take them of the prescription and then pay for what you accept. 

If you can remember what they are and you want them later just go to pharmacy and buy them independently, hospital pharmacies do not have access to special drugs that can only be bought from them and that other pharmacies do not have.  You may need a prescription for some, though.

Although when you are ill , you expect the doctors to give you the correct medication .

You can go home and look up on-line what the Doctor has given you and whether you need to take it, but that is akin to self diagnoses , you can also hunt around other pharmacies to get the medication cheaper , but thats quite a task, if you are feeling unwell .

The Doctors also sometimes mis diagnose you , *that cough is actually Bronchitis and you need all this medication* , kind of thing .

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Frolov, then had an x-ray at a local hospital in Phuket

It's a long story.

However there is the question why not show the x-rays to his home hospital in Kent???

For me this Mr. is much responsible for his problems:

1. jumping into the sea, taking a header I suppose

2. not showing the x-rays in Kent

Bad luck. I doubt his lawyer would change this view.

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Don't dive into shallow water. Amazing how people expect everyone to pick up the tab for their stupidity nowadays. 

Stupid thing to do yes but, he is not asking anyone else to "pick up the tab" he is suing for negligence, wouldn't you do the same?

2 hours ago, off road pat said:

Yeah, Happened to me after I got a stroke in Bang Sapan. They gave my wife paracetamol and that was it. Moved over to Prachuap kiri Khan and they did the same !!!!!

You had a stroke so they treated your wife. Sounds like Thailand.

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Negligence? A lot depends on the definition of a 'broken' neck. A hairline fracture can be difficult to detect, especially straight after an injury, where swelling has occurred. If this had been a serious break he would have been paralysed and not continued on for  3 months. I also notice that the original incident happened in 2015 so not exactly life-threatening but the timeline post injury is a bit lacking in the report.

Far easier to bash a hospital than actually be aware of the circumstances though. The source of this article is The Daily Mail- any Brit will be able to tell you that they love articles which get people frothing about 'Jonny Foreigner'.

To me this speaks volumes. Mr Frolov is now suing Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust for not carrying out an X-ray and has hired a legal firm who specializes in negligence to take up his case. 

you actually say a hairline fracture may be difficult to detect due to swelling. pursuant to your reasoning the next hospital in uk should have especially repeated a neck x ray as the swelling should have improved.

17 minutes ago, coppywriter said:

Stupid thing to do yes but, he is not asking anyone else to "pick up the tab" he is suing for negligence, wouldn't you do the same?

Actually yes, he is asking for someone to "pick up the tab" - the UK taxpayers who fund the NHS. He was after all, daft enough to hit his head on the sea bed hard enough to damage his spine, whilst "swimming".

What is more, any money which he may be awarded, as a result of this whole episode, whilst it may well benefit Mr Frolic, will apply a little more financial pressure to the NHS.

Archived