British man sent home from hospital with paracetamol after breaking neck in Phuket

webfact

2 minutes ago, Marley01 said:

Be interesting if the UK hospitals get to use the X-rays taken from Phuket. 

May throw a spammer in the works .

“Given our client's injury history... and the fact there was no copy of the x-ray taken in Thailand, we argue that Tunbridge Wells Hospital should have conducted full and thorough checks, including its own x-rays."

I give up!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Thian said:

Well was there a warning sign at the pool he dived in? If it was in a real hotel they are responsible for a warningsign. 

Once in Pattaya i cracked through the poolstairs while getting out of the water, it cut my foot but they even didn't have anything like plasters or so. This happened in the scb-bank resort.

Another time in Pattaya i cut my finger badly underwater on a broken pooltile...at the reception i met another farang who cut his foot on the same poolfloor. We did get a plaster though but not even excuses for the crappy pool...that was in white sand resort.

He was swimming in the sea, not a pool.

And if the pool, is a warning sign 'don't dive in shallow water' really necessary? Maybe in the USA to prevent law suits, here it still is not.

5 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Why are they only concentrating on the negligence of the UK hospital and forgetting the negligence of the original hospital in Phuket ?

Is it because he knows it would be a complete waste of time taking legal action against a Thai hospital ? 

Yes and I think we all know that.  I do find in surprising that the UK hospital didn't do an x-ray.  If Mr Frolov told them that he had already had an x-ray in the Phuket hospital and it was all clear that may be the reason.  However saying "in a Thai hospital" especially when he doesn't have a printout of the x-ray should have been enough to get them to double check.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

They may have incorrectly prescribed paracetamol instead of asprin which assists after a stroke.

It is quite apparent that you have minimal medical knowledge regarding what causes a stroke and treatment.   A stroke is caused by a ruptured blood vessel in the brain.  Giving "Aspirin" (which has ant-coagulator properties) will only assist with a stroke patients death. 

The irony is that, even that paracetamol is locally made and sourly lacking the qualities
of an US UK Aust equivalent product,
When you buy Panamax in Australia, paracetamol 500mg, where is it made? In India.. Thailand's local medications are usually good quality, and hospitals anywhere can have a misdiagnosed outcome. It can happen here in Thailand, in Oz and the UK is no exception. If you don't accept a doctor's diagnosis, you can always seek a second opinion.. It can be lifesaving..

Sent from my SM-N915G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

where does it say he expected anything? A hospital is obliged to take care after an accident

Where does it say he didn't "expect" anything? Most westerners would expect decent hospital treatment (even from their own stupidity) in their own country. 

"6 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Don't dive into shallow water. Amazing how people expect everyone to pick up the tab for their stupidity nowadays." 

And I agree with Jeremy50, why should taxpayers pay for stupidity, particularly blatant stupidity?

The same thing happened to a friend of mine following a car accident in Cyprus. He wasn't even granted 'light duties' by the RAF doctor that he saw.

It was a week and a lot of pain before he was finally referred to the RAF Hospital at Akrotiri where it was discovered that he had a cracked vertebrae in his neck.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

The same thing happened to a friend of mine following a car accident in Cyprus. He wasn't even granted 'light duties' by the RAF doctor that he saw.

It was a week and a lot of pain before he was finally referred to the RAF Hospital at Akrotiri where it was discovered that he had a cracked vertebrae in his neck.

Yup, I can relate in a small way to that. When in basic training, I had an accident that broke a number of bones in one foot. On my way to the mess the first morning, as a part of the "sick" parade, the station Warrant Officer called out my name and said "Walk properly, you're walking like a ruptured duckling"! He probably didn't know (or want to know) that the base Dr. had put me on light duties. But hey, that is life in the armed forces. I wasn't upset by his remark as all my fellow recruits were busting themselves with laughter. After spending 10 years living in an orphanage followed by another 12 years armed forces service I cope well now with the vagaries of life and don't put up with bulls hit from anyone. :smile:

To this day I still carry the results of that accident and always wondered if I was given 'proper' medical treatment.

23 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Where does it say he didn't "expect" anything? Most westerners would expect decent hospital treatment (even from their own stupidity) in their own country. 

"6 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Don't dive into shallow water. Amazing how people expect everyone to pick up the tab for their stupidity nowadays." 

And I agree with Jeremy50, why should taxpayers pay for stupidity, particularly blatant stupidity?

my mistake he must have tried to break his own neck on purpose

12 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

my mistake he must have tried to break his own neck on purpose

Some people are just plain stupid. As Forest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does".

And that, Walter, answers your ridiculous comment about ".....breaking his own neck on purpose"!! 

Now, (patronising I say) please do try and have a nice day. :smile:

“When health professionals tell you everything is ok, you take their word for it. They’re the experts and you trust them. "

I don't. I assume they are human beings and fallible just the same as people in other professions.

If I am not satisfied I get a second opinion elsewhere and in a case when one ' expert '  recommended I have an iridectomy , I had a gut feeling they were just looking to make money and got four opinions !!

Turned out I was right and it was not needed.

Also...the internet is very useful in getting as much information as possible for yourself so you can at least throw some different ideas at the doctor.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

The irony is that, even that paracetamol is locally made and sourly lacking the qualities

I wonder what possible evidence you can provide ezzra, that the locally produced Paracetamol is, in any inferior to its western produced equivalent.

Care to comment?

7 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Please reread the original because the medication was not from Thailand, which is what you appear to refer to in your comment.  The prescribed drugs came from a hospital in England.

its an advantage if someone is able to read

If it was a hairline fracture it can be quite difficult to get a good image on an x-ray depending on the orientation of the crack in the bone and position of the x-ray source.

Still a dangerous fracture even if it is hairline.

Maybe MRI would have been better but with the waiting list in UK????

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If it was a hairline fracture.

Yeah, I guess. Easy to walk around with these for weeks or months, eventually the sh*t kicks in. Have some experience with a hairline knee fracture, makes the whole thing unstable. Lucky he eventually got it sorted if you ask me, going for a big payday is a bit sh**ty, just be thankful someone sorted it out.

2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

It is quite apparent that you have minimal medical knowledge regarding what causes a stroke and treatment.   A stroke is caused by a ruptured blood vessel in the brain.  Giving "Aspirin" (which has ant-coagulator properties) will only assist with a stroke patients death. 

You are right. I was commenting more on the mis-prescription of drugs and the longer term treatment of stroke patients. I've been there , done that.

8 hours ago, off road pat said:

Yeah, Happened to me after I got a stroke in Bang Sapan. They gave my wife paracetamol and that was it. Moved over to Prachuap kiri Khan and they did the same !!!!!

Did your wife survive?

:smile:

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Of course! Nothing can match that quality!!!

9 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Don't dive into shallow water. Amazing how people expect everyone to pick up the tab for their stupidity nowadays. 

Where do you get he was expecting you to pick up his tab? He just wanted decent medical care and didn't get it. That is the problem; other than your apparent misunderstanding.

6 hours ago, JAG said:

Actually yes, he is asking for someone to "pick up the tab" - the UK taxpayers who fund the NHS. He was after all, daft enough to hit his head on the sea bed hard enough to damage his spine, whilst "swimming".

What is more, any money which he may be awarded, as a result of this whole episode, whilst it may well benefit Mr Frolic, will apply a little more financial pressure to the NHS.

Then, all you <deleted> who use the NHS are looking for someone else to pick up the tab; I see.

4 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Then, all you <deleted> who use the NHS are looking for someone else to pick up the tab; I see.

No, not at all. there is a world of difference between all us <deleted> who may use the NHS (I don't of course, living here) which we fund out of our taxes, and a compensation claim, intended to produce a cash sum from the NHS, such as the one which this fellow is making

8 hours ago, hgma said:

I am on treatment and every (new) action taken is standard signing a declaration of refraining from  suing the hospital before any action can go forward in the Thai North East Hospitals.....all risks are mine including the bills.

I guess that what they call   "all care and no responsibility"  with the assumption that the "all care" part is exercised at least as genuinely and robustly as the "no responsibility" part.

9 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Negligence? A lot depends on the definition of a 'broken' neck. A hairline fracture can be difficult to detect, especially straight after an injury, where swelling has occurred. If this had been a serious break he would have been paralysed and not continued on for  3 months. I also notice that the original incident happened in 2015 so not exactly life-threatening but the timeline post injury is a bit lacking in the report.

Far easier to bash a hospital than actually be aware of the circumstances though. The source of this article is The Daily Mail- any Brit will be able to tell you that they love articles which get people frothing about 'Jonny Foreigner'.

To me this speaks volumes. Mr Frolov is now suing Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust for not carrying out an X-ray and has hired a legal firm who specializes in negligence to take up his case. 

I guess this whole terrible matter flew under the radar in both countries until he started to press charges and a journo in UK decided there was a story in it and a TVForum  journo decided to copy it here because of the original connection.  Fair enough I suppose. 

And, YES, a non dislocated fracture or hairline fracture sometimes does not show up in an Xray taken in the early acute stage.  Which is EXACTLY why a follow up xray should have been taken with ongoing problems following a neck injury in these circumstances

32 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

I guess this whole terrible matter flew under the radar in both countries until he started to press charges and a journo in UK decided there was a story in it and a TVForum  journo decided to copy it here because of the original connection.  Fair enough I suppose. 

And, YES, a non dislocated fracture or hairline fracture sometimes does not show up in an Xray taken in the early acute stage.  Which is EXACTLY why a follow up xray should have been taken with ongoing problems following a neck injury in these circumstances

Strangely enough mine happened in UK and was only detected in Thailand.

As Greavsie said 'it's a funny old game, isn't it.'

Archived